New zealand bans semi auto rifles

On 22/03/2019 at 21:44, shovel leaner said:

I’d say it makes a difference, a 22 rimfire is a deadly weapon but it’s not a military assault rifle  that can cause massive injuries and a huge amount of casualties very quickly. I’ve got shotguns and rifles . But I cannot imagine a situation where I would go to my gun cabinet to get a gun out to protect my family. In this country if you do that you know what will happen..... you will go to prison . This is not America , or Somalia or Syria . If there are armed men outside my house, I will call the police . 

And be dead befor they had chance to get in there cars , as a gun owner and a farther any one comes in my house armed ......

well it wouldn’t end well , and I would face the consequences happily knowing that I protected my family like any farther/ husband should do ,  

• Like 3

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might be on my own here, and I have firearms. But I can’t see any good reason for civilians to own semi automatic weapons. As said in a previous post , bad guys will either already have or will be a

To me it’s less about culture and more about freedom.  Ive just loaded three semi automatic rifles iinto my truck.  My 15 yr old twins and I are going to the range after they finish their ch

Don't worry ted any photos with you and your semi auto's,just type pre ban. They can't do nothing then.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Elchapo said:

And be dead befor they had chance to get in there cars , as a gun owner and a farther any one comes in my house armed ......

well it wouldn’t end well , and I would face the consequences happily knowing that I protected my family like any farther/ husband should do ,  

If you have time to get to your gun safe ? Armed men broke into George Digweeds house , they had him and his  mrs tied up in seconds . In reality if someone is going to enter your house armed , unless you have the gun in your hands you are going to be just like anybody else . You obviously see yourself as a Bruce Willis in Die hard . 

• Haha 1

Old guy,recluse living with his sister in a ramshackle caravan,not far from Heathrow airport,the family had been tied up,terrorised and robbed before when their mother was still alive.Two or three years back some lads decided to tie the siblings up and rob them,went to the caravan with zip-ties,masks etc,old guy shot one dead.....And he was found not guilty of murder :ninja:

• Like 2

And now it's affecting me. f**k!

Visitor's firearms licence and import permits

We are reviewing and updating this information as a result of the changes to New Zealand’s firearms classifications. We will publish the updated information as soon as possible.

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-and-safety/visitors-firearms-licence-and-import-permits

Elsewhere I've read they have suspended all visitor permit applications???

Edited by Born Hunter
1 hour ago, baker boy said:

And others have been shot by the armed house holder

I know, and I’m not saying that if I was in my house and armed men came in to attack me and my family, and if by some chance I had my shotgun handy , I wouldn’t defend myself. But I don’t spend my time thinking about that and preparing for it . In my previous post I said that if there were armed men outside my house . My guns are for sporting and pest control and not self defence. It really would have to be a last resort , and not my first choice way of protecting myself. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

If you have time to get to your gun safe ? Armed men broke into George Digweeds house , they had him and his  mrs tied up in seconds . In reality if someone is going to enter your house armed , unless you have the gun in your hands you are going to be just like anybody else . You obviously see yourself as a Bruce Willis in Die hard . 

No not at all but it would take me seconds to get my gun out my gun case , and wouldn’t call it Bruce Willis just because I’d prefer protect my family instead waiting for police to get there , in the time it takes you to make a call to the police tell them your address I’d be able get to my safe 

8 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

My gun is within easy reach as is my fire extinguisher. 

I don’t spend much time worrying about home invasion or fire, but I am prepared for either. 

I don’t think I’m Bruce Willis either, but would have liked a crack at Demi......

8 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

But I don’t spend my time thinking about that and preparing for it

That's fair enough mate as has already been mentioned there are massive cultural differences at play here, also. NZ's culture is radically different from the US culture and is well removed from that in the UK too. I live in a state that is larger than the UK but has a population smaller than Greater Manchester where I moved from. Firearms are simply tools for a job and while many people opt to carry and become proficient with those tools many chose to wait for someone else. Fair enough but when seconds count the police are only minutes.

2 hours ago, PMul said:

My gun is within easy reach as is my fire extinguisher. 

I don’t spend much time worrying about home invasion or fire, but I am prepared for either.

Same. We live in wildfire country and no one would bat an eyelid if I was preparing or concerned for it...

WVF.jpg.9a97576daf8bb5871b41e6bf5e06888c.jpgWVF1.jpg.e17baa5f3d4b8fbccda5f7cafb6b5639.jpg

... but show the same concern for your personal security and everyone think's you're batsh*t insane. I work for a security contractor in Las Vegas and when I talk about Britain and it's rules and regulations it always makes good conversation. But again you're dealing with cultural barriers that are vast as the ocean between. Thank f*ck we have a Constitution!

This link is doing the rounds at work. Sao Paulo Brazil. Off duty police officer and an attempted robbery. Taking the video at face do you or your loved ones have the right to use up to lethal force to defend your wellbeing?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

This link is doing the rounds at work. Sao Paulo Brazil. Off duty police officer and an attempted robbery. Taking the video at face do you or your loved ones have the right to use up to lethal force to defend your wellbeing?

Saw quite a few Brazilian robbery/self defence vids recently Chris,one thing I have noticed is the Brazilians speed of reaction,little to no hesitancy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mackem said:

Saw quite a few Brazilian robbery/self defence vids recently Chris,one thing I have noticed is the Brazilians speed of reaction,little to no hesitancy.

Training. They're well aware that safety is an illusion.

• Like 1