New zealand bans semi auto rifles

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might be on my own here, and I have firearms. But I can’t see any good reason for civilians to own semi automatic weapons. As said in a previous post , bad guys will either already have or will be a

To me it’s less about culture and more about freedom.  Ive just loaded three semi automatic rifles iinto my truck.  My 15 yr old twins and I are going to the range after they finish their ch

Don't worry ted any photos with you and your semi auto's,just type pre ban. They can't do nothing then.

Posted Images

I might be on my own here, and I have firearms. But I can’t see any good reason for civilians to own semi automatic weapons. As said in a previous post , bad guys will either already have or will be able to get their hands on them easily enough because there are probably so many already out there . Before the ban in the uk I knew guys who owned military semi autos and hand guns . They used to shoot at ranges and gun clubs . I went along once and what I noticed was the targets were silhouette/ human shape targets , and I thought it was all a bit .... weird. I’ve got rifles , but they are only for shooting furry stuff and I wouldn’t dream of ever shooting at a human shaped target . 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are right there SL.Wannabe soldiers dads army style .

Banning any form of gun won’t stop a nutter from doing his thing ,been proved here .

Still smiling about the “Is that a mosqueberg”to the lad with the long barrel .

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I might be on my own here, and I have firearms. But I can’t see any good reason for civilians to own semi automatic weapons. As said in a previous post , bad guys will either already have or will be able to get their hands on them easily enough because there are probably so many already out there . Before the ban in the uk I knew guys who owned military semi autos and hand guns . They used to shoot at ranges and gun clubs . I went along once and what I noticed was the targets were silhouette/ human shape targets , and I thought it was all a bit .... weird. I’ve got rifles , but they are only for shooting furry stuff and I wouldn’t dream of ever shooting at a human shaped target . 

I'm not a gun man myself, but can't understand why average Joe needs a semi auto weapon either??

Rifles, shotguns etc yes of course but military grade weaponry is a bit ott for 99% of gun owners surely?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I'm not a gun man myself, but can't understand why average Joe needs a semi auto weapon either??

Rifles, shotguns etc yes of course but military grade weaponry is a bit ott for 99% of gun owners surely?

Problem is, average Joe doesn't need a bolt action or a shotty either. There are plenty of legitimate justifications for owning a semi auto, just as there are other more common guns.

Lets be honest, he could just of easily sat himself high up in a population centre with a Tikka T3 and set about wasting folks at distance one at a time, then the press and the non shooting public would be saying "I don't see why the public should be allowed to own such military grade snipe rifles".

The AR is the in-vogue tool amongst lunatics at the moment. Banning them wont stop this, they'll move to other tools, IEDs, vehicles, knives, illegal weapons. No talk of compromise either, ie a licensing system for the sporting use of such weapons, just BAN. At best it'll reduce the head count a bit in the rare event of a spontaneous act mass shooting...... at a cost of liberty of course.

But outdated concepts like liberty, democracy etc don't count for much in the 21stC anyway. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I often wonder the damage an experienced infantryman could do with some sort of straight pull short action rifle, hi-cap mags, close quarters optics, in something pokey like 308 with frangible ammo.... The exact sort of tool you might choose for woodland stalking say with a few trivial mods.

All of a sudden we no longer feel safe with 'normal' civilian rifles either.....

4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Problem is, average Joe doesn't need a bolt action or a shotty either. There are plenty of legitimate justifications for owning a semi auto, just as there are other more common guns.

Lets be honest, he could just of easily sat himself high up in a population centre with a Tikka T3 and set about wasting folks at distance one at a time, then the press and the non shooting public would be saying "I don't see why the public should be allowed to own such military grade snipe rifles".

The AR is the in-vogue tool amongst lunatics at the moment. Banning them wont stop this, they'll move to other tools, IEDs, vehicles, knives, illegal weapons. No talk of compromise either, ie a licensing system for the sporting use of such weapons, just BAN. At best it'll reduce the head count a bit in the rare event of a spontaneous act mass shooting...... at a cost of liberty of course.

But outdated concepts like liberty, democracy etc don't count for much in the 21stC anyway. :laugh:

I'm not clued up enough on guns to have a good technical debate mate.... but

There are 100's of thousands of "average Joes" who hunt with shot guns and rifles... but I really can't see many instances where a semi automatic is required?

If your man had a standard shot gun or rifle.. he wouldn't have done nearly as much damage...

It won't stop these people getting hold of their weapon of choice I know.. but the week argument of "what next ban knives" when we are talking about a weapon that should only be in the hands of a soldier imo holds little water

6 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I often wonder the damage an experienced infantryman could do with some sort of straight pull short action rifle, hi-cap mags, close quarters optics, in something pokey like 308 with frangible ammo.... The exact sort of tool you might choose for woodland stalking say with a few trivial mods.

All of a sudden we no longer feel safe with 'normal' civilian rifles either.....

Not as much as any old Charlie spraying bullets around like it's going out of fashion lol

By the way, I'm certainly anti taking away people's liberties, I run dogs so know how it feels, but I just can't see any reason to sale this type of weapon over the counter.

23 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

By the way, I'm certainly anti taking away people's liberties, I run dogs so know how it feels, but I just can't see any reason to sale this type of weapon over the counter.

stating what you have you are all for taking other liberties.just wait for the next government to state any police/tactical like black bolt action rifle is dangerous.

there you go all bolt actions banned,you are now left with a muzzle loader,crack on sir

i have 2 semi auto rifles,one for coyote and one for wild boars and one semi auto shotgun for ducks/geese.

i could well be losing (not a chance in fckn hell am i handing them over) these shortly here in canada

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, sandymere said:

How many died in the sledge hammer attacks?

does it matter??

still a terror attack.

the point is the person responsible used what he could obtain to cause damage.

and yes if they had access to firearms he would of chose a firearm,but if he had the nowse he could of bought a

black market rifle and ammo or even hired a fckn rental van and timed it right and ploughed thru morning prayers

were do you draw the line on banning shit??

knives over 3.5cm are banned in the UK or should i say you need good reason to carry one.

just how many stabbings have you had this year alone

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1