rabbits in oz

1 minute ago, Bosun11 said:

So rabbit numbers in Oz are as low as they are here these days?

I think its difficult to compere ....but on the hole looking at the ozzy lads posts and what they catch I think so.....

I ferreted in ozz back in 06-07 ....we got 28 I think ....had a great time out there.....that was 100k south of Sydney .....however we drove from adalaide to Sydney went through mildura and hay....on the a20 road I think....about 2 hours out of Adelaide .....it was rabbit heaven flat both sides of the road and as far as you could see either side was rabbits sat above warrens.....it drove me mad looking at it ....being mad for rabbit catching.....it might be diferent now its 12 year ago

I loved Australia ....anybody that's got the chance of a holiday or working out there go for it...

• Like 3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sold some,dog,ferret and bird food? 

Came across a couple pics on another site showing the extent of the problem over there years gone by . Hard to get your head around the numbers .

I've seen rabbits in the numbers in the bottom pic, 30 years ago on a property just outside Warren in Western NSW.I went pig hunting with three staff crosses and spent a week shooting and catching rab

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Them days long gone dc ,

my dad and his brother made trip up the road every yr ,they did it up until 90s,they would go Montrose area and they done well ,when we was kids that was our two weeks holiday lol,

they took hundreds and would go hawking rabbits to restaurants ,butchers etc ,and meet game dealer  "scotch corner"unload and back up .

do you have any pics from back then dc as b good to see .

atb

mooch

last time I went to the highlands was october post-99494-0-51567300-1504209269_thumb.jpgpost-99494-0-64222000-1505149984_thumb.jpg2015,dogs were doing 40s/60's on the lamp most nights,we ferretted 1 farm took 120 odd with nets,then about the same again on the lamp same night ?post-99494-0-25557000-1502540835_thumb.jpg

all my pics are on a memory card somewhere,have to dig it out,theses only pics I've got on this fone?20150927_141645.jpg.058a3ee532790bb5c1c49257815bc121.jpg20150927_110619.jpg.6762e839aef94628488a64d821e1772c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

last time I went to the highlands was october post-99494-0-51567300-1504209269_thumb.jpgpost-99494-0-64222000-1505149984_thumb.jpg2015,dogs were doing 40s/60's on the lamp most nights,we ferretted 1 farm took 120 odd with nets,then about the same again on the lamp same night ?post-99494-0-25557000-1502540835_thumb.jpg

all my pics are on a memory card somewhere,have to dig it out,theses only pics I've got on this fone?20150927_141645.jpg.058a3ee532790bb5c1c49257815bc121.jpg20150927_110619.jpg.6762e839aef94628488a64d821e1772c.jpg

Looks like you had good time .dont see more than a couple round my way .

its intresting isn't it ...the rabbit was supposed to have originated in the Iberian peninsular (spain Portugal) around costal regions.....yet here you have two totally different ecologys and weather .....the dry arid almost desert like conditions of Australia ....and the cold wet conditions of the highlands of Scotland and the rabbit has thrived in both...ok the Australian conditions might be similar to where they evolved....but not the highlands

3 hours ago, TOMO said:

its intresting isn't it ...the rabbit was supposed to have originated in the Iberian peninsular (spain Portugal) around costal regions.....yet here you have two totally different ecologys and weather .....the dry arid almost desert like conditions of Australia ....and the cold wet conditions of the highlands of Scotland and the rabbit has thrived in both...ok the Australian conditions might be similar to where they evolved....but not the highlands

Like the rat, very adaptable...

Recon your spot on with your ear theory too mate ?

2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

In some areas there's plenty,around my area none, and it looks prime country for them.They just don't seem to be bouncing back like they used to.

Just been reading about RVD being introduced to Oz as a biological control agent and it killing 10 million rabbits within 8 weeks of its release...!

In my opinion this disease will wipe out the wild rabbit in many countries over the next 10 years.

Thankfully native american species, like the cottontail, are not suseptable to it (yet!)

6 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Just been reading about RVD being introduced to Oz as a biological control agent and it killing 10 million rabbits within 8 weeks of its release...!

In my opinion this disease will wipe out the wild rabbit in many countries over the next 10 years.

Thankfully native american species, like the cottontail, are not suseptable to it (yet!)

RVD is not a very good killer as it is to fast Mixi is much better because it takes around 10 days when it struck the Warren Hills near Loughborough  around  55/56 I was out with my Grand farther delivering Cheese and there was THOUSANDS of dead and dying on the roads and fields to Woodhouse Eaves , we were on a Motor Cycle and sidecar and it was Bump Bump all the way  as you could not avoid them and the smell was awful , when we arrived at Roecliffe Manor the gardener had collected a massive heap off of the drive and was going to burn them .

3 hours ago, micky said:

RVD is not a very good killer as it is to fast Mixi is much better because it takes around 10 days when it struck the Warren Hills near Loughborough  around  55/56 I was out with my Grand farther delivering Cheese and there was THOUSANDS of dead and dying on the roads and fields to Woodhouse Eaves , we were on a Motor Cycle and sidecar and it was Bump Bump all the way  as you could not avoid them and the smell was awful , when we arrived at Roecliffe Manor the gardener had collected a massive heap off of the drive and was going to burn them .

remember working fitting windows on a farmhouse that backed on to Salisbury plains mod base around 97,we drove down the lane in an old vw lt28 lol,same thing,bump,bump,bump running over mixi rabbits.....my mate had a 14 foot Burmese python at the time and I collected a good 30 odd rabbits for him,never seen so many rabbits sat out in the daytime,just walk up to them,pick them up, and put them out their misery ?personally never ever seen mixi as bad before or since?

very poor rabbit population around here been like it a few years. dog has killed 6 with myxi in last 2 weeks. I don't care what people say about new diseases myxi is still the biggest killer of rabbits. 

11 minutes ago, sid g said:

starting to affect hare aswell

Yes a chap at work (not a dreamer or arse hole) stopped the van on way home what he thought was a rabbit sat at roadside. turned out to be a leveret full of myxi. 

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I'd like to know what gives anyone the right to put summat as devastating as vhd down to wipe out any species that is what I call a true wildlife crime and any of us would go straight to jail without passing go for such a crime 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

very poor rabbit population around here been like it a few years. dog has killed 6 with myxi in last 2 weeks. I don't care what people say about new diseases myxi is still the biggest killer of rabbits. 

sept or oct last year I killed a dozen in an hour or so with bonnie here in Nottinghamshire.....never seen as many in a small area with it....very sad cos only a month earlier on a walk with the kids...they counted 46 rabbits running across a footpath on a sunny sunday afternoon on the same bit of land....real shame cos its a nice place for a wander

• Like 1