rabbits in oz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sold some,dog,ferret and bird food? 

Came across a couple pics on another site showing the extent of the problem over there years gone by . Hard to get your head around the numbers .

I've seen rabbits in the numbers in the bottom pic, 30 years ago on a property just outside Warren in Western NSW.I went pig hunting with three staff crosses and spent a week shooting and catching rab

Posted Images

ive ferretted places in the highlands where we would could catch a couple of hundred a day.....you soon get sick of getting back to the digs and gutting them for the freezers..filled 4 large chest freezers in 3 days once...ended up digging a pit in the back garden of the cottage and filling it up lol,kept them fresh until we got home ...

1,265 for the week....

rabbit heaven?

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

ive ferretted places in the highlands where we would could catch a couple of hundred a day.....you soon get sick of getting back to the digs and gutting them for the freezers..filled 4 large chest freezers in 3 days once...ended up digging a pit in the back garden of the cottage and filling it up lol,kept them fresh until we got home ...

1,265 for the week....

rabbit heaven?

Wtf did you do wi um all 

11 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Came across a couple pics on another site showing the extent of the problem over there years gone by .

4081A34C-0D05-42BB-A878-29DEF3902865.jpeg

EA835AF3-328C-488D-A591-2BB36D5D329F.jpeg

Hard to get your head around the numbers .

I've seen rabbits in the numbers in the bottom pic, 30 years ago on a property just outside Warren in Western NSW.I went pig hunting with three staff crosses and spent a week shooting and catching rabbits with these dogs.When they are in those numbers they live above ground and don't seem to have much survival instincts,so the staffs just mowed them down.Never seen it before and never will again.Me and a mate used to ferret 300 often for a weekend in the southern highlands back in those days,that was in hills with warrens aplenty.We earned ten times our normal weekly wage  greenkeeping for the weekend,getting $5 a rabbit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

I've seen rabbits in the numbers in the bottom pic, 30 years ago on a property just outside Warren in Western NSW.I went pig hunting with three staff crosses and spent a week shooting and catching rabbits with these dogs.When they are in those numbers they live above ground and don't seem to have much survival instincts,so the staffs just mowed them down.Never seen it before and never will again.Me and a mate used to ferret 300 often for a weekend in the southern highlands back in those days,that was in hills with warrens aplenty.We earned ten times our normal weekly wage  greenkeeping for the weekend,getting $5 a rabbit.

was the $5 for the rabbit from the government for killing them ...or were they going to a game dealer ..or some kind of prossesing company...

you know looking at that pic of the rabbits drinking round that water hole.....and it looks like the rabbits have larger ears than our rabbits back here ....certainly the rabbits from the dales have smaller ears.....I bet its something to do with heat loss....

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

1,265 for the week....

rabbit heaven?

Them days long gone dc ,

my dad and his brother made trip up the road every yr ,they did it up until 90s,they would go Montrose area and they done well ,when we was kids that was our two weeks holiday lol,

they took hundreds and would go hawking rabbits to restaurants ,butchers etc ,and meet game dealer  "scotch corner"unload and back up .

do you have any pics from back then dc as b good to see .

atb

mooch

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, TOMO said:

you know looking at that pic of the rabbits drinking round that water hole.....and it looks like the rabbits have larger ears than our rabbits back here ....certainly the rabbits from the dales have smaller ears.....I bet its something to do with heat loss....

The picture of the Rabbits drinking at the Water Hole is one of a series the next picture shows the day after it had been poisoned ……...same amount of Rabbits but all dead 

• Sad 1
54 minutes ago, TOMO said:

was the $5 for the rabbit from the government for killing them ...or were they going to a game dealer ..or some kind of prossesing company...

Can't say Tomo, but something to do with dish lickers.A lot of money back then.