New Arrivals.

10 hours ago, fred90 said:

I have no axe to grind. tell me why do you not want a pure collie & why do you have so little running dog in them at all? 

I do have a pure collie she’s just had the pups pal, because I don’t require a speed machine and I’m not into sighthound types. Regards Collie John 

• Like 3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Collie bitch Liz has whelped 9 pups to my Collie Greyhound dog Dan, those that know me know I have been planning this cross for a while has I prefer more Collie than Greyhound in my dogs they suit

There was a very good colliex called patch the robber years ago if youse are talking daytime haredogs my mate owned him he was killing a good 15/20 hares a week daytime iam saying collie x as we only

12 years? I've got collars and leads I've had longer than that ffs. Who are you to tell someone they shouldn't breed their dogs? Especially someone who talks sensibly, not like the drivel you come out

Posted Images

Why do some people simply refuse to accept the fact that you don't have to have more sighthound blood if you want to catch something. Is it simply because, historically, some people produced rabbit catching dogs by mating greyhounds etc to collies etc and other people subsequently wrote books reiterating this fact so we now assume that, if we want to catch a rabbit, squirrel, rat, wood pigeon etc then we must have a dog which is half greyhound if we also want to go ferreting but three quarters greyhound if we don't?

It's a good job God doesn't read lurcher books. He'd be saying to St Peter, "I'll have to scrap this experiment with grey wolves, painted wolves, foxes and all that jazz and go back to the drawing boards Pete 'cus I need more greyhound in 'em"

I freely admit that most people with lurchers probably caught more rabbits than my kelpies did (when I had rabbits in my neck of the woods) but I work herding dogs probably for the same reason as Colliejohn and others: a) they catch more in the environment where I work them (thick woodland, hedgebottoms, bramble strewn ditches and small fields covered in thick tussocky grass) and b) I get on better with them and, as a wise man on here once said "temperament is king."

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Neal said:

Why do some people simply refuse to accept the fact that you don't have to have more sighthound blood if you want to catch something. Is it simply because, historically, some people produced rabbit catching dogs by mating greyhounds etc to collies etc and other people subsequently wrote books reiterating this fact so we now assume that, if we want to catch a rabbit, squirrel, rat, wood pigeon etc then we must have a dog which is half greyhound if we also want to go ferreting but three quarters greyhound if we don't?

It's a good job God doesn't read lurcher books. He'd be saying to St Peter, "I'll have to scrap this experiment with grey wolves, painted wolves, foxes and all that jazz and go back to the drawing boards Pete 'cus I need more greyhound in 'em"

I freely admit that most people with lurchers probably caught more rabbits than my kelpies did (when I had rabbits in my neck of the woods) but I work herding dogs probably for the same reason as Colliejohn and others: a) they catch more in the environment where I work them (thick woodland, hedgebottoms, bramble strewn ditches and small fields covered in thick tussocky grass) and b) I get on better with them and, as a wise man on here once said "temperament is king."

Neal I couldn’t of put it better myself well said pal we’re a minority pal. Regards Collie John 

• Thanks 1

There's also the unspoken added benefit of the fact that if I get one which is crap and "couldn't catch a cat in a kitchen" I can claim the lurcher card and say, "Well he's only a sheepdog."?

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Neal said:

5 hours ago, colliejohn said:

Neal I couldn’t of put it better myself well said pal we’re a minority pal. Regards Collie John 

To both these posts.  Speaking for myself, I've aready said that these days, one of these pups would suit me. Don't want to go lamping for 3 or 4 hours at a time, 3 or 4 nights a week, on suitable lamping ground, anymore. And I totally get that you've bred them to suit your ground and type of hunting on that ground. 

I think that's the point alot of lads aren't grasping. And like I said in my original post in this thread, when I was into my lamping, and on 90% of the ground I worked my dogs on, day or night, a lurcher of this type would've had a very low catch rate.

Like you've said though, they weren't bred for that type of work.

Anyway, belting looking pups john ? ?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Neal said:

Tbf it says in the bible cant remember what part that God did announce to his children ffs I wish I'd used a grew 

Straight up 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Tbf it says in the bible cant remember what part that God did announce to his children ffs I wish I'd used a grew 

Straight up 

Definitely more chance of big cats living in britain, than anything being true in the bible though

• Like 2