New Arrivals.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Collie bitch Liz has whelped 9 pups to my Collie Greyhound dog Dan, those that know me know I have been planning this cross for a while has I prefer more Collie than Greyhound in my dogs they suit

There was a very good colliex called patch the robber years ago if youse are talking daytime haredogs my mate owned him he was killing a good 15/20 hares a week daytime iam saying collie x as we only

12 years? I've got collars and leads I've had longer than that ffs. Who are you to tell someone they shouldn't breed their dogs? Especially someone who talks sensibly, not like the drivel you come out

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Neal said:

Wow CollieJohn...I can't believe the amount of hostility such a topic has engendered! Must be that everybody's bored of moaning about Brexit and want something else to complain about. 

Personally, I think they look great and should suit you down to the ground. I've often thought about the potential of adding a smidgen of sighthound to my kelpies but I doubt anybody else would be interested so I just accept the fact that my dogs aren't nippy enough for rabbits in the open...but that they make up for it in other ways. Just ignore the pessimists, some people simply can't see the point in sheepdog blood: each to their own. I'm happy with mine and you're happy with yours and they, no doubt, are happy with theirs. Good luck!

Thanks Neal, each to their own we’re a endangered species me and you pal with the type of dogs we work and keep lol. Regards Collie John.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

C j have you picked a pup to keep back ?

b good to see a pic of them ,I wish you all the best with them .

mooch 

There’s a couple of dog pups that have caught my eye but ain’t picked one yet. Regards Collie John 

17 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

There’s a couple of dog pups that have caught my eye but ain’t picked one yet. Regards Collie John 

That’s the type my mate loves if you remember when I pmd you when he wanted another dog.his old dog did everything he wanted and would of shocked a lot of people on this site John.what you are doing is a credit to you and you know what you want.but it says something when a man takes a dog like yours on a shoot day and it embarrasses most of the top gundogs and the keeper says you can bring that dog any day atb with them mate ?

• Like 1
On 24/03/2019 at 17:35, lifelong cumbrian said:

Good luck with the pups, i used a pure collie for ferreting years back, she suited me fine, caught the odd rabbit, but was a biddable marking dog for me and that was what i wanted. I think as you say it is a good type for a ferreter to have, loads of eyes on folk today and you wont get as much suspicion put on you with one one them. I will probably be having another collie next time i need a ferreting dog or maybe a kelpie. There will probably one or two in the litter go a bit more to the greyhound, maybe looking like a heavy half x. Some of the lighter framed collies are quite sharp anyway, for a ferreting ratching type your pups sound ideal. Please keep us informed on their progress in the field. ATB.

Golng back to the collie 50 years ago my old man bred a litter of collies for bringing the cow back for milking the one he kept was a tall leggy dog he would send that dog for the cows some 1/2 a mile away and sometimes he would come back with a hare in his mouth dont know how he caught it if he took it out of the seat or what but the old man always said he was fast enough to catch one

• Like 3
On 05/04/2019 at 13:12, troyboy17 said:

Golng back to the collie 50 years ago my old man bred a litter of collies for bringing the cow back for milking the one he kept was a tall leggy dog he would send that dog for the cows some 1/2 a mile away and sometimes he would come back with a hare in his mouth dont know how he caught it if he took it out of the seat or what but the old man always said he was fast enough to catch one

My little busher took hares regular,don't always need to be a speed machine just clever ,she take them in cover and out there seats .

id love one of these pups but the misses as put her foot down lol .

i think they make cracking workers and ideal for any one starting a line .

you know what it's like in lurcher world every thing else is crap apart from the juck by there side .blinded .

• Like 1
On 05/04/2019 at 13:12, troyboy17 said:

I think the collie back then was where it of the old lurcher strains got there talents from ,think the border collie. Nowadays suffered from one man & his dog , though I know there’s still the right sort kept in very rural areas . 

As a fan of collie blooded lurchers and with no intention of offending anyone, each to their own and all that, I don't see any point whatsoever in 7/8 collie 1/8 greyhound. If you like collie blood that much just buy a leggy collie, which, to be fair is just about what you would have. I've had racy first crosses, brains aplenty, excellent nose, feet, stamina and endurance, they would do everything that a near collie could do and more besides.  I like a biddable responsive dog mooching about me and I'm well aware that on the right type of ground in the right circumstances a full collie could fill a bag but how often does that all come together?, why limit yourself ?. One of the main reasons we have collie crosses is for the brain they have and fifty percent collie is brains aplenty, in fact sometimes that can be too much and it gets to the stage where they are too clever for their own good and it actually starts to impede you. A lurcher should be a dog with brains capable of catching stuff, if its a dog with brains not capable of catching stuff then its just a brainy dog, not a lurcher.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, mackay said:

As a fan of collie blooded lurchers and with no intention of offending anyone, each to their own and all that, I don't see any point whatsoever in 7/8 collie 1/8 greyhound. If you like collie blood that much just buy a leggy collie, which, to be fair is just about what you would have. I've had racy first crosses, brains aplenty, excellent nose, feet, stamina and endurance, they would do everything that a near collie could do and more besides.  I like a biddable responsive dog mooching about me and I'm well aware that on the right type of ground in the right circumstances a full collie could fill a bag but how often does that all come together?, why limit yourself ?. One of the main reasons we have collie crosses is for the brain they have and fifty percent collie is brains aplenty, in fact sometimes that can be too much and it gets to the stage where they are too clever for their own good and it actually starts to impede you. A lurcher should be a dog with brains capable of catching stuff, if its a dog with brains not capable of catching stuff then its just a brainy dog, not a lurcher.

That’s exactly the way I see it fella in modern times why limit your Sen but each to there own an all that 

54 minutes ago, poxon said:

That’s exactly the way I see it fella in modern times why limit your Sen but each to there own an all that 

I have no doubt some will disagree ,and I believe your right both of yas,but fa a companion da a countryman they be fine ,I don't consider them jukels lurchers or what Eva I believe they collies da me jukels da mooching etc still need abit a pace I hope they suit the handlers,a small light Welsh hill collie would suffice what they want in a jukels X maybey abit sharper at that atb bill

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

he works the dam and is obviously happy with her. And it's dogs not maths, not all going to come like they are on paper

I know genes are random but. Here's the but I believe they will have the collie talents but also there failings in abundance.atb bill