New Arrivals.

9 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Abe Stanley was one of the best takers of game I ever see ,he had some cracking lurchers and always had couple jack r of the right kind ,

i had some fun with him over the yrs ,fishing ferreting ,lamping and he show me how to set snares and nets .he had a heart attack while picking some ferret kits up from a lad in next village ,sad day that ,he passed doing what he lived for though .

i was given his guns,dogs nets and all is kit .some of which I still use today twenty five yrs later .i never met a man like him since .

folk thout he was simple ,and some treated him bad but we became great friends .

i think it's john Stanley in the DVD

thats abes brouther 

Sounds a good fella mooch. Was friends with a fella like that, sadly passed away boxing day 2017. Proper countryman. Made all sorts of suff, thumbsticks, cattys, everything. And the best fisherman I've ever seen.  Walked MILES in the countryside practically 365 days a year, and if he said he'd seen something, you could bet your life on it he'd seen it. Not many like that left now sadly ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Collie bitch Liz has whelped 9 pups to my Collie Greyhound dog Dan, those that know me know I have been planning this cross for a while has I prefer more Collie than Greyhound in my dogs they suit

There was a very good colliex called patch the robber years ago if youse are talking daytime haredogs my mate owned him he was killing a good 15/20 hares a week daytime iam saying collie x as we only

12 years? I've got collars and leads I've had longer than that ffs. Who are you to tell someone they shouldn't breed their dogs? Especially someone who talks sensibly, not like the drivel you come out

Posted Images

1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Sounds a good fella mooch. Was friends with a fella like that, sadly passed away boxing day 2017. Proper countryman. Made all sorts of suff, thumsticks, cattys, everything. And the best fisherman I've ever seen.  Walked MILES in the countryside practically 365 days a year, and if he said he'd seen something, you could bet your life on it he'd seen it. Not many like that left now sadly ?

abe was a character ,first time I see him I was 6 yr old ,he looked like he he'd just walked out of dickens time ."gypsy rye"

,we would get him telling story's around the fire and most was about poaching and fighting with keepers .

he could take some game  and when he was young lad he'd live in a bender tent and just move about poaching,nothing really changed apart from he lived in a trailer as he got older ,

he was one of them people that had no need to lie ,just new he meant what he said ,

we had some fun ,and 

hes srongly missed .

Mooch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

abe was a character ,first time I see him I was 6 yr old ,he looked like he he'd just walked out of dickens time ."gypsy rye"

,we would get him telling story's around the fire and most was about poaching and fighting with keepers .

he could take some game  and when he was young lad he'd live in a bender tent and just move about poaching,nothing really changed apart from he lived in a trailer as he got older ,

he was one of them people that had no need to lie ,just new he meant what he said ,

we had some fun ,and 

hes srongly missed .

Mooch

Won’t be long till those old country characters will be a thing of the past. 

• Sad 2
9 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Won’t be long till those old country characters will be a thing of the past. 

I fear you are correct mate. I've tried, and succeeded, pretty much, with my eldest lad, 28, as much as I could, with the things I've learnt and been shown over the years. But my youngest, 11, who I've tried with, is only sort of interested in fishing really, not really into dogs or guns, and is more into all this technology caper really. Does my head in if I'm honest, but the way things are these days, feels like I'm not going to get far lol ?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

I fear you are correct mate. I've tried, and succeeded, pretty much, with my eldest lad, 28, as much as I could, with the things I've learnt and been shown over the years. But my youngest, 11, who I've tried with, is only sort of interested in fishing really, not really into dogs or guns, and is more into all this technology caper really. Does my head in if I'm honest, but the way things are these days, feels like I'm not going to get far lol ?

They just don’t make those kind of characters anymore shaark. Society doesn’t allow it anymore. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, shaaark said:

It's how it is furg my nipper has no interest at all just tech

• Like 1
On 20/03/2019 at 08:59, colliejohn said:

My Collie bitch Liz has whelped 9 pups to my Collie Greyhound dog Dan, those that know me know I have been planning this cross for a while has I prefer more Collie than Greyhound in my dogs they suit my style of dog work which is mooching, ferreting and lamping and they don’t draw attention to themselves whilst I’m out with them, anyhow bitch and pups are doing well. Regards Collie John 

Q

My type of dog would be ideal for me the sirt of work I do mooch and ferret

• Like 1

Wow CollieJohn...I can't believe the amount of hostility such a topic has engendered! Must be that everybody's bored of moaning about Brexit and want something else to complain about. 

Personally, I think they look great and should suit you down to the ground. I've often thought about the potential of adding a smidgen of sighthound to my kelpies but I doubt anybody else would be interested so I just accept the fact that my dogs aren't nippy enough for rabbits in the open...but that they make up for it in other ways. Just ignore the pessimists, some people simply can't see the point in sheepdog blood: each to their own. I'm happy with mine and you're happy with yours and they, no doubt, are happy with theirs. Good luck!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, Neal said:

Wow CollieJohn...I can't believe the amount of hostility such a topic has engendered! Must be that everybody's bored of moaning about Brexit and want something else to complain about. 

Personally, I think they look great and should suit you down to the ground. I've often thought about the potential of adding a smidgen of sighthound to my kelpies but I doubt anybody else would be interested so I just accept the fact that my dogs aren't nippy enough for rabbits in the open...but that they make up for it in other ways. Just ignore the pessimists, some people simply can't see the point in sheepdog blood: each to their own. I'm happy with mine and you're happy with yours and they, no doubt, are happy with theirs. Good luck!

Wise words sir 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Neal said:

It's a strange one Neal, same on moochers as you know. Folks can't seem to accept that different people want different things from a dog. 

But then again, a lot of guys are happy with a dog that comes back when called after slipping and that's it! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

It's a strange one Neal, same on moochers as you know. Folks can't seem to accept that different people want different things from a dog. 

But then again, a lot of guys are happy with a dog that comes back when called after slipping and that's it! ?

A dog that does what ! 

Dream on buster

• Haha 5