New Arrivals.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Collie bitch Liz has whelped 9 pups to my Collie Greyhound dog Dan, those that know me know I have been planning this cross for a while has I prefer more Collie than Greyhound in my dogs they suit

There was a very good colliex called patch the robber years ago if youse are talking daytime haredogs my mate owned him he was killing a good 15/20 hares a week daytime iam saying collie x as we only

12 years? I've got collars and leads I've had longer than that ffs. Who are you to tell someone they shouldn't breed their dogs? Especially someone who talks sensibly, not like the drivel you come out

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TOMO said:

I got a little bitch here ...bonnie...only 3/16 collie the rest greyhound and whippet.....wish I had a £! for every rabbit she missed up the dales I would be a rich man.....

as for hunting up read beds she does a cracking job.....with hardly any collie in her.....

just last Friday I was up there bolting to the dogs ....had fert with me....who has speedy line bred collie cross 25 ish at the shoulder....and a gwalch...a wesh fella with a speedy well put together bitch out of gaffa......ask either of them two about the rabbits we missed up the dales that day....plenty...

at the end of the day there johns pups and I wish him well with them....im sure as marking dogs and catching in the hole mouth they will do whats asked .....

but out and out runners.....there not catching them....that's where you need a running dog not a collie

my old 1x collie x grey Bryn  was fast for this type x, you seen old Bryn and vin as seen him run  , me self i think 1/4 collie plenty,  still enough brain and enough speed to spare with 3/4 running dog , and as been said  on some ground rabbits dont hang about so you need them gears to catch them. we all different  in what we like in a lurcher, i quite like gsd in lurcher, i like there mind set , there  like collie with good brain, but got more  grit= bottle  in them than a collie  deff. Best of luck john with your pups , hope there go to good caring homes that like this type dog .  Ray

I've seen a 3/4 reverse bred collie greyhound take hundreds up the dales plenty fast enough she was no good local on the lamp but took loads of bolters local to me he knew her limitations and worked her to suit her style, she took fox as well single handed the farm collie sometimes came with us and he took loads of stuff on the moors and blocks of woodland he really was good for bolters near woods no fear would just plough in and grab them never seen him run stuff on open sets though 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, fatlad said:

I've seen a 3/4 reverse bred collie greyhound take hundreds up the dales plenty fast enough she was no good local on the lamp but took loads of bolters local to me he knew her limitations and worked her to suit her style, she took fox as well single handed the farm collie sometimes came with us and he took loads of stuff on the moors and blocks of woodland he really was good for bolters near woods no fear would just plough in and grab them never seen him run stuff on open sets though 

Sounded like a decent dog with a sensible owner, obviously these dogs ain’t going to be speed merchants I didn’t breed them that way because I don’t like that type of dog, there bred to mooch, work cover, ferret, and lamp obviously not on golf courses etc, they’d suit the type of person who has experience with Collie greyhounds, and who is good with dogs, there not suited to everyone which is good in my mind, this type of cross and the quality bloodlines which is in both of my dogs goes way back, and has far has I know no one else has or is breeding or working these bloodlines and the Collie blood what’s in these dogs are top working dogs. Regards Collie John 

• Like 6
20 hours ago, Elchapo said:

So surely it’s not an all round rabbit dog if it can’t catch on all terrain in all forms of hunting , 

Read it again I to said I doubt it would not be an allround rabbit dog because it would lack speed on fast ground

Edited by Busher100
Spelling
43 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Read it again I to said I doubt it would not be an allround rabbit dog because it would lack speed on fast ground

I no you did , and me saying so surely it’s not an all rounder ( meaning all round rabbit dog) was a rhetorical question simply replying to you first bit of the post were you said “ he was saying an allround rabbit dog not an all rounder “  as I don’t believe a collie with 1/8th grey hound in it is an all round rabbit dog . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

I no you did , and me saying so surely it’s not an all rounder ( meaning all round rabbit dog) was a rhetorical question simply replying to you first bit of the post were you said “ he was saying an allround rabbit dog not an all rounder “  as I don’t believe a collie with 1/8th grey hound in it is an all round rabbit dog . 

Just out of interest what x do you call a good rabbit dog.

4 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Just out of interest what x do you call a good rabbit dog.

Any cross could be good rabbit dog for each individual, what would I call a good rabbit dog , well anything catching consistently on all terrain ,in your post you seem to keep making out I’m stupid because I don’t think collie crosses make good rabbit dogs which isn’t what I said or tried to imply , if rabbits were my sole quarry I would own either a collie whippet grey ,or a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie  so it could consistently catch rabbits on any terrain, there is no way on earth I would own a collie  with 1/8 greyhound in it for catching rabbits it’s near enough a full collie and it wouldn’t stand a chance catching rabbit on the lamp or bushing or bolting to ferrets ( consistently)  yea if it got good at its game I could catch rabbits at the mouth of burrow and could pick rabbits up out of reeds and rough but it would be very limited on the terrain wich favoured the rabbit , you and collie John mite only ferret and a dog of this breeding may be ideal for you but it is as far from an all round rabbit dog as can be , 

They may not be everyones cuppa tea, but there's plenty moan about the lack of suitable collie studs for putting over pures or longdog type lurchers. Dogsbre and worked like collie Johns would be a damn good choice.

• Like 13