New slugs

They are in my opinion, H&N Sport Grizzly with a new name, quite likely because Grizzly pellets are utter sh1te. From what he said, they know the Grizzly was lacking but I am taking some up for our So to test in his Impact and interestingly they are looking at these slugs in the 50-100mts so perhaps I will test again at 100mts and see if there is an improvement.

Phil

• Like 2

I'm no sure until somethings tried and tested and i'm quite happy  with Air arms field diablo they suit my gun and suit my pocket , but as these don't have a skirt on them maybe there less prone to damage ?. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The one said:

I'm no sure until somethings tried and tested and i'm quite happy  with Air arms field diablo they suit my gun and suit my pocket , but as these don't have a skirt on them maybe there less prone to damage ?. 

I have to agree so far Fields produce The best groups. This summer my eye should be completely sorted and we have now a perm in a tree lined quarry so longer range shooting out of the wind should be a regular pastime. I have already produced 25 A4 size target holders so I can set out a string of targets at different distances. I also bought a spotting scope (similar to a telescope for bird watching) so it will be easier to read results at 100mts.

Phil

If your air rifle loves a tried and proven diablo pellet type, and almost all air rifles do,  why on earth buy a novelty item like these?  No rabbit or rook ever complained about getting hit clean through the head with a diablo waisted pellet from my rifles. And as long as I live to shoot and hunt with an air rifle, that will be the only pellet type I will use.

These might work??  But I'm willing to bet they won't in most cases at least, and frankly, they look like the sort of rubbish the pellet makers push out from time to time. God knows  why?

Perhaps they know, at least one tinful of any pellet-shaped crap will be bought by people looking to try something new or diffrent. That helps to sell off the naff surplus lead/zinc/alloy stock.

I have an idea these will be as crap as anything like them. And will possibly damage a choked barrel.

Just my opinion lads but honestly, after shooting happily for 50-odd years with spring air rifles and lead diablo pellets, I've kinda found out the things that work and the crap the doesn't. And if  lead pellets are to be banned, that's it over for air rifle hunting and me. I'll buy a rimfire .22 and live the rest of my days out shooting with that.

ATB
Pianoman

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pianoman said:

If your air rifle loves a tried and proven diablo pellet type, and almost all air rifles do,  why on earth buy a novelty item like these?  No rabbit or rook ever complained about getting hit clean through the head with a diablo waisted pellet from my rifles. And as long as I live to shoot and hunt with an air rifle, that will be the only pellet type I will use.

These might work??  But I'm willing to bet they won't in most cases at least, and frankly, they look like the sort of rubbish the pellet makers push out from time to time. God knows  why?

Perhaps they know, at least one tinful of any pellet-shaped crap will be bought by people looking to try something new or diffrent. That helps to sell off the naff surplus lead/zinc/alloy stock.

I have an idea these will be as crap as anything like them. And will possibly damage a choked barrel.

Just my opinion lads but honestly, after shooting happily for 50-odd years with spring air rifles and lead diablo pellets, I've kinda found out the things that work and the crap the doesn't. And if  lead pellets are to be banned, that's it over for air rifle hunting and me. I'll buy a rimfire .22 and live the rest of my days out shooting with that.

ATB
Pianoman

Simon, the new slugs are designed for fac pcp guns , JSB are coming out with a new slug as well , you also have neilson slugs and vk slugs from USA .

They have a very high bc and a .22 slug will give you about 46 ft/ lbs 930 fps , very accurate at 100+ yards , even in wind they drift very little . 

On  the airgun nation forum a lot are using slugs now with great results in the slug liner barrels from FX  .IMO these will not be novlty pellets but a serious hunting slug for FAC pcp guns , time will tell either way ?

• Like 1

It could well be that the Grizzly pellets I used didn't suit my Impact barrel as it is not a liner barrel but if these things are so good, perhaps a new barrel will be in order but I am guessing the newer barrels are quite a bit higher cost than mine.

Talking of FX but off topic boys, they have bought the company that is making the bulk mags and will be part of the FX line up soon, also I understand a better price than is available at present so time to keep an eye on FX news.

Phil

As they said, higher power required (30ft lb plus) and potentially different barrels to get the best results.

I suspect this will be down to twist rates and rifling depth etc.. 

Nothing really new here, this is just a development of airguns for higher power/performance and is why the likes of .22LR or HMR ammo doesn't generally look much like air gun pellets!

:thumbs:

• Like 2