Opinions on the Norfolk lurcher?

16 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Thread is called opinions on Norfolk lurchers and I gave my opinion based on the only one I seen, all the ads for them i seen are aimed at pet folk with the romantic idea of owning the 'traditional lurcher'. The dog you posted the picture of with a coat on looks like it's not seen nothing face clean as a whistle but like I say if it's just rabbits/ small edibles they'll do the job but if you want a bit more from a dog I'll bet you money your pet bred lurcher will sicken. Do you keep trying to quote me because your still mad you couldn't find that kc reg digging beddy that you said are all over Britain? Bloody dohnut?

That dog isn't mine ,it was given to the lass who looks after it as it broke a leg ,at young age .

and as for digging to kc bedy ,I never said that.

i said bedlington terriers still doing what they bred for .moving stuff out rocks and cover .

i don't need to call next man I never have unless he in front of me,

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the thread was about mick duglas ......think hes been dead a good few years now ...he bred dogs back in the 80's folk are getting confused with jeff burrel ...who breeds Norfolk ..and tumblers...

you know though ...I read them tales of the old gamkeepers books....and a few other ones older......and they all complained about how tuff it was etc.....but then when you looked at what they got.....

Well that's fuckun gratitude for you isn't it, Jeff's spent the last 800 years of his life refining this line, and you can't come up with less than one pound note per year for a pup be fukced 

Posted Images

30 years ago a bloke in Ormskirk had one direct off Mick Douglas. Fecking beautiful thing it was and he killed enough hares with it to confirm it was a very handy dog. I first spoke to him one early morning on my way to work, as he walked the dog home, trying to hide a hare in his coat.

Used to talk with John Bromley, the coursing greyhound trainer, years ago. His stud dog Issac was bred down from old Norfolk lines. It was showy as feck but he said it would kill anything edible, especially big stuff and had killed the odd fox, though they wern't his thing. He never came across as a bullshitter and so i never doubted him.

As for Jeff Burrell's lines, i've never seen one graft so can't comment direct but as i do like old lines of lurchers, these are really interesting. I'd even give one a go BUT couldn't stand the process of getting one, so i'll give them a miss.

I've posted before asking if anyone has one and put some good graft into it, to see how they fair. Not got much back sadly.

Which makes me wonder, if all those who purchase them only like the romace of this type of lurcher and so buy them just for looks or, Mr Burrell is very choosey about who he sells his dogs to, because they dont live up to the hype. Or is it simply that, listening to JB for hours on end and having the wait for a puppy is too much to take and most serious dogmen look to other types?

?

I had one years ago from Jeff Burrell I might have just landed lucky but she was a very good bitch I used her on daytime hares and rabbits she was more than capable at her job and I’ve got to say I’ve never had a dog as easy to train 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

30 years ago a bloke in Ormskirk had one direct off Mick Douglas. Fecking beautiful thing it was and he killed enough hares with it to confirm it was a very handy dog. I first spoke to him one early morning on my way to work, as he walked the dog home, trying to hide a hare in his coat.

Used to talk with John Bromley, the coursing greyhound trainer, years ago. His stud dog Issac was bred down from old Norfolk lines. It was showy as feck but he said it would kill anything edible, especially big stuff and had killed the odd fox, though they wern't his thing. He never came across as a bullshitter and so i never doubted him.

As for Jeff Burrell's lines, i've never seen one graft so can't comment direct but as i do like old lines of lurchers, these are really interesting. I'd even give one a go BUT couldn't stand the process of getting one, so i'll give them a miss.

I've posted before asking if anyone has one and put some good graft into it, to see how they fair. Not got much back sadly.

Which makes me wonder, if all those who purchase them only like the romace of this type of lurcher and so buy them just for looks or, Mr Burrell is very choosey about who he sells his dogs to, because they dont live up to the hype. Or is it simply that, listening to JB for hours on end and having the wait for a puppy to too much to take and most serious dogmen look to other types?

?

I don't see eye to eye with j b ,I think they over priced for working dog men,women .

back in the day any ruff coated fawn dog got classed as Norfolk .

hes a very strange man ,but plenty of them about.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Surprised no body has mentioned Aubrey Fryer think he was tagged to the Norfolk Smithfield sales pitch back in the day.

Yep, Aubrey Fryer used to advertise Norfolk/Smithfields in Exchange & Mart back in the day.

3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

That dog isn't mine ,it was given to the lass who looks after it as it broke a leg ,at young age .

and as for digging to kc bedy ,I never said that.

i said bedlington terriers still doing what they bred for .moving stuff out rocks and cover .

i don't need to call next man I never have unless he in front of me,

Ok sir you win 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, stormyboy said:

Burrell is a fantasist. He may well turn out a few decent dogs, I don't know, but breed enough and law of averages says you will. The romantic drivel he comes out with is laughable. 

He defo talks some rubbish ,never call the man if you got anything todo as you b listening to him for hours .

21 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

JB's waiting list must of gone out the window because he/they regularly have pups on pets4homes, looked on one day and there was 3 or more lots on the first page

He says he don't breed every yr lol.

but always pups for sale ..