Opinions on the Norfolk lurcher?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the thread was about mick duglas ......think hes been dead a good few years now ...he bred dogs back in the 80's folk are getting confused with jeff burrel ...who breeds Norfolk ..and tumblers...

you know though ...I read them tales of the old gamkeepers books....and a few other ones older......and they all complained about how tuff it was etc.....but then when you looked at what they got.....

Well that's fuckun gratitude for you isn't it, Jeff's spent the last 800 years of his life refining this line, and you can't come up with less than one pound note per year for a pup be fukced 

Posted Images

Some look like seagull my other mate had one 30 years ago dog he was a excellent trainer of any  dog a really good shot the dog was trained well would point snipe teil woodcock great in water in  I still have his compendium it dates back to the 70s  he was out every day no big numbers just killing for pot a variety of feather and fur I went ferreting way it many times it new its game bolters only got a few feet no nets  he wanted a good rabbit dog that's what he got put to the right greyhound lurcher or saluki anything could have  happened  he broke his leg and was put down I'd took a pup of him in a heartbeat to a good greyhound the Sam.dog I talk about on other page was something else I ran him.on a few seasons he was very fast could give game 200 300 yard starts that was unheard of back then we seen a hare one day lad lifted him.in air he seen it 300yard start he got to.it coursed it right up the moor right to our feet prob the best chase I've ever witnest killed it right in front of us a good  4 minute run as stated  he must had saluki.in him somewhere his sire was a top notch grey of a trainer I was just proud to run him on a great daytime rhfd dog to fast fr lamp very committed had to edit just checked dates in compendium 

Edited by Bearfoot
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, darbo said:

One of T walsh"s.

IMG_1339.JPG

Appearances one must consider these seventies Norfolk types they were popular all over east midlands south staffs some travelled further north ,deerhounds cur lines mixed bedlington etc mick Douglass types Defo had some saluki introduced met him spoke ta hi at lambourn some with classic deerhound grey jackets on em to right shaggy coated types that had other breeds in troduced,sheepdogs English types beardie bedlington they in all probability had em all introduced in em and European herders possibly laekanoies etc. They were a jukel bred fa the pot hunter out xed ta greyhounds deerhounds and some Salukis  thy became much more I seen probably about six seven work only two off recent times fab out maybey ten yrs plus ago the others in the seventies  the best was a dog called beanie  owned by an old friend sadly now gone rip bing. These modern types fa me are would be a good base ta breed a type suitable fa ones own personal needs any hound compliments them  which in fact would be about right ,cleaning the blood through ,allways has worked tested breeding tequniques.atb bill

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for opinions and information only reason I asked is I have a pup bred down 4/5 generations starting from mick Douglas Norfolk lurcher lines and was just wondering what their all about as looking forward to seeing how this pup turns out he’s only 6/7 months old atm and hasn’t seen a thing will he waiting till next season before he does much,will he used mainly for ferreting and lamping rabbits but what I’ve read on here he should have potential the 4/5 generations on his dams side we’re all A1 workers so he should be alright??

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Mac and Fred

seagull daughters grand daughter and sons and great ___.jpg

gilbey I am just researching the pure saluki that was the founder to my old 70's lines and can trace him back to 1913 Syria and forwards to the present day via kizzy's lines was wondering if you know any of the reg names of pures in the merlin / eve lines other than the kizzy ones chears

2 hours ago, Daisy the destroyer said:

He was one of the first to comment on the post his first comment was ‘shit’?

And I still stand by what I said about that dog and I'll bet you money if you test your rabbit dog a bit more you will soon see it is infact 'Shit shit' ? 

45 minutes ago, two crows said:

gilbey I am just researching the pure saluki that was the founder to my old 70's lines and can trace him back to 1913 Syria and forwards to the present day via kizzy's lines was wondering if you know any of the reg names of pures in the merlin / eve lines other than the kizzy ones chears

what dogs are you meaning?

Edited by Gilbey
51 minutes ago, two crows said:

TC's there was a cracking thread a few years back on Merlin & Eve lines, i'm sure that would tell you all you need yo know. Some very knowlagable posters on it that aint here now.

Dig it out, its very good reading. ?