On 07/04/2019 at 19:11, terryd said:

Well were in business folks :) 

Well chuffed then first thing i did coming through the gate on the way home was drop the ferker and put a ding in it ?

IMG_4827.JPG.1019659dbc24257d0413974ceb127814.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG.02d09d9136c2d697a35c8f3a361711cc.JPG

Hot as hell what a treat bloody hate semi warm poxy flask tea and coffee.

Just need to brush up on fire skills ha

I always found them a bit hit and miss for cooking, no control and fiddly, also badly designed i.e 5l of boiling water in a top heavy tall cylinder.no use for a boat that's for sure but the times I've seen Keely kettles used on the bank they always seemed moments from disaster, from leaving the cork in and turning them into a mini volcano to just blowing over as you have to have them in the wind.That said I see the appeal with them being low tech and light and free fuel aslong as it's not raining.

I've always used a Coleman petrol stove, model 533 I think. Mines 20yrs old and there is tons of spares for them I had to fit 1 primer in all the years cost about a fiver they run off unleaded so never short of fuel. Mine was mainly for fishing in winter always found the gas cookers shite had to sit with the gas can in your Keck's for an hour before you can make tea.

Edited by JDHUNTING
Spelling
  • 8 months later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now that the weather is turning colder it is time to break out the Kelly Kettle for some hot food while out mole trapping. Today's cookery was on the banks of the River Gartempe in the Vienne departme

Well were in business folks       Well chuffed then first thing i did coming through the gate on the way home was drop the ferker and put a ding in it ?  

Here are mine. I use them like Russian Dolls to maximise the space. The large ally one with a plastic food flask containing tea, coffee and any stuff I might need for cooking. In the pan are the knife

Posted Images

Now that the weather is turning colder it is time to break out the Kelly Kettle for some hot food while out mole trapping. Today's cookery was on the banks of the River Gartempe in the Vienne department of France. Although we are in lockdown essential activities like mole trapping can continue ?

20201110_130201_resize_86.jpg.4ed7d771331334f3587d51dff9ce817e.jpg

The food, cardboard and tissue paper for fire lighting were in the plastic box. Everything else including half a litre of water was inside the kettle body. It had been raining all night and into the morning so finding dry wood took longer than usual. That is why I had the extra tissue and cardboard. It stared raining just after lighting the fire.

20201110_130207_resize_9.jpg.f7150b94bfe10e1f1ec50de216285af1.jpg

First job is always to boil some water as that gets a good fire going. It takes about three minutes from spark to boil.

20201110_131643_resize_89.jpg.e4f67eeca2aea130974d9003726565b7.jpg

Then, about 1" of spicy chorizo and the same amount of smoked belly pork was roughly cut up and cooked in the pan to get the oils flowing.

20201110_132506_resize_63.jpg.3c752f0c7d4444df4997c565bc48e1f3.jpg

20201110_132908_resize_73.jpg.a0cae7f4951e30bad3b3a5febb29370c.jpg

Some of the chorizo became burnt. This adds flavour to the meal so isn't a problem. Once the meats were cooked it was time to add some tinned chick peas that had been washed, drained and dusted with smoked paprika. These were stirred through and cooked for about five minutes until thoroughly warmed through.

20201110_133000_resize_46.jpg.bed1f976fafff38eb49b903eba0bcc3b.jpg

20201110_133503_resize_55.jpg.f37a41f86c5d79612c970cab053216d1.jpg

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 8

I have a plastic 35mm film tub packed with cotton wool mixed with Vaseline and sugar. That is what I use to catch the spark from the flint and steel. You have to tease out the fibres but once it is lit that will transmit a good flame to more substantial fuel.

In wet weather you can use bailer twine or small pieces of parcel tape to build up a good fire base when damp wood is harder to get going.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

I have a plastic 35mm film tub packed with cotton wool mixed with Vaseline and sugar. That is what I use to catch the spark from the flint and steel. You have to tease out the fibres but once it is lit that will transmit a good flame to more substantial fuel.

In wet weather you can use bailer twine or small pieces of parcel tape to build up a good fire base when damp wood is harder to get going.

even in pissing down rain...split wood /sticks are dry on the inside....

that looked a cracking looking spot for a teabreak nicepix...

6 hours ago, TOMO said:

even in pissing down rain...split wood /sticks are dry on the inside....

that looked a cracking looking spot for a teabreak nicepix...

The KK is a bit different to a normal wood fire. On the smaller model it only takes 3 minutes from sparking the cotton wool to the kettle boiling. There is limited room in the fire pan and chimney. You don't get chance to steam off any moisture like you do on an established camp fire so any damp  twigs and sticks are best having the bark shaved off. I found some yellow bamboo today and that goes nicely wet or dry if it is split. Pine needles and cones are good too as the resin burns well and gives them some protection from rain.

36 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

If yous wrap them cotton balls up in a cylinder of duck tape, just small ones that you use one at a time them it’s real good, duct tape burns nicely helps a fire get started with ease an helps keep your cotton wool all tidy ?

Was going to try find one of them old photo film cases must have one somewhere, thought they would be good for storing the cotton wool balls soaked in Vaseline.

Cheers Arry