• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now that the weather is turning colder it is time to break out the Kelly Kettle for some hot food while out mole trapping. Today's cookery was on the banks of the River Gartempe in the Vienne departme

Well were in business folks       Well chuffed then first thing i did coming through the gate on the way home was drop the ferker and put a ding in it ?  

Here are mine. I use them like Russian Dolls to maximise the space. The large ally one with a plastic food flask containing tea, coffee and any stuff I might need for cooking. In the pan are the knife

Posted Images

Definetly worth having when fishing windy lakes and you have to pull up on an island to eat. They are fine when your fishing and chilled out with plenty of time but not suitable for work. My boss would do some looking if I was sitting down putting twigs in the hobby stove when I should be laying bricks ? My mate bought one after seeing mine and first day out he boiled water with the cork in  and it exploded and he was lucky that he had walked off away from it to get something out of boat. If he had of been close he would of got scaulded. 3rd degree burns wouldn't be nice when trying to pull the gums of a couple of fish. Keep the cork out when boiling lads ?

I have a Kelly kettle, a triangia meths stove, a woodgas stove?And a gas jet stove, I,m never without no matter what the weather or were I am, even the shittiest day is slightly improved with a brew in your hand 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I have a Kelly kettle, a triangia meths stove, a woodgas stove?And a gas jet stove, I,m never without no matter what the weather or were I am, even the shittiest day is slightly improved with a brew in your hand 

Which do you prefer on a windy day? When lake fishing in Ireland pretty much every day is windy ) lough corrib galway) and the Kelly kettle is better than gas in that situation but after reading your posts I presume you cover a lot of ground and do a bit of camping to find big cats so would have a bit of experience in what works best? It's hard beat the Kelly kettle for efficient but the soot goes everywhere 

The wood gas stove is quite a new gimmick burns twigs like a Kelly but recycles the smoke and burns it again, also has a small meths dish so if you have no twigs or it’s wet you can use it as a method burner I,ll dig it out and stick a pic on after tea ? sat in the bath now so I,ll stick a YouTube clip on ?

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1

I decided to get a kelly kettle this year after having an unusual amount of deep digs. By the time we'd get down to the dog all three flasks were empty. So no refreshments for the drive home

Got a kelly when season finished and went and stayed in a tent come log cabin with the missus and kids, had a camp fire on the go and done hot chocolate for the kids,worked a treat and boiled fast. Then a couple of weeks ago woke up with a stinking hangover to find the electric had gone of in the house (we don't have gas stoves just I  case anyone's wondering) so out with the kelly kettle and just sat In the garden drinking coffee until the father in law came over to fix it as he's a spark. Absolute life saver. One thing though I always carry them fire lighter things in the bag the kettle comes In and you won't have any issues lighting damp twigs with them

• Like 1
11 hours ago, terryd said:

houston we have problem. Made my second cuppa today of tea and christ it had strong metal taste :(  Hope it was a one off. 

I have a similar issue, mine has a taste similar to what you get with a new electric kettle until it has been used for a while.

i tried boiling water with lemon juice, white vinegar but this taste still remains, might get it out of shed and have another go

12 hours ago, terryd said:

houston we have problem. Made my second cuppa today of tea and christ it had strong metal taste :(  Hope it was a one off. 

Boil it up with a few spoons of bicarbonate of soda in it, should do the trick.

• Thanks 1

Or just man up, it’s a brew in a field not Starbucks, mines never washed I,ve done gallons of cider in winter and lake and river water through it, it will get its own taste soon enough, all cooking pots were made from Ali years back so it won’t kill you, it’s just the flavour of newness ??

• Like 1