Are they any good ? Looking for a nice hot cuppa down the allotment or on the beach.
I gather you just stuff some thing combustible in the bottom and light it up ?

When I snuff it the girls are going to have great fun sorting out all the shite I bought over the years ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now that the weather is turning colder it is time to break out the Kelly Kettle for some hot food while out mole trapping. Today's cookery was on the banks of the River Gartempe in the Vienne departme

Well were in business folks       Well chuffed then first thing i did coming through the gate on the way home was drop the ferker and put a ding in it ?  

Here are mine. I use them like Russian Dolls to maximise the space. The large ally one with a plastic food flask containing tea, coffee and any stuff I might need for cooking. In the pan are the knife

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

They are very good just remember when you are boiling the water to keep the cork off,?

This. better than any flask ever made for a good cup of tea. ?

Edited by hambone
error

I used mine 3 times and its been in the shed ever since, pain to light and depending on what "fuel" you use have to keep topping up also a pain to carry if fishing or out for a walk. 

I use a Bullin T4 gas stove and small camping kettle packs down to a quarter of the size of a Kelly and starts even in the coldest of weather. Buy a valve converter and you can use the cheap poundshop gas canisters that last for about 40 boils.

• Like 1

Same as our arry, keep one hanging up in my van all the time might not get used some years but gets hammered others, also satisfy,s that need for a flickering flame that’s keeps us caveman types happy, have done a few gallon of mulled cider in there during an outdoor Christmas session some years back, recon I,ve owned one since the 90,S when they were known as an Irish storm kettle, think you can get a full cooking kit for the more modern ones, you won’t regret it every proper man should have one ???

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2019 at 13:57, TRUEBRIT66 said:

I used mine 3 times and its been in the shed ever since, pain to light and depending on what "fuel" you use have to keep topping up also a pain to carry if fishing or out for a walk. 

I use a Bullin T4 gas stove and small camping kettle packs down to a quarter of the size of a Kelly and starts even in the coldest of weather. Buy a valve converter and you can use the cheap poundshop gas canisters that last for about 40 boils.

Fancy selling the unused Kelly? 

• Like 1

I bought the full kit with cups and plates etc. I use one of those cheap tool boxes from Aldi to transport it around. They are a great job and the only bad thing about them is the black ash can be  a bit of a mess. I bring a few bin liners with me to wrap up the bottom part. The bottoms of frying pans and saucepans get filthy aswell. If your camping and have plenty of time to clean up after using it they are brilliant but if I was working and only have a short tea break then a little gas stove is cleaner and quicker to pack away.

I've got two, the big steel base camp one with the cooking pot setup for long stays out and the smaller aliuminuim one (couple of pints) for short haul, had them years and they're still good. Beauty of the Kelly is the windier it is the more draught up your flue, so boils the water faster. Don't over fill as when they boil they can spit water out and can put your fire out!

Edited by Gav

I've got two, large and small with the cook sets. You can make meals like Irish Stew, Corned Beef Hash and Sausage, Bacon & Egg breakfast on them. If I'm fishing and making a stew or baked potato sort of thing I take a couple of charcoal briquettes with me and put them on after brewing up. save having to keep adding sticks to the fire. Easiest way to clean them when you are out and about is to use handfulls of long grass as scouring pads. That gets all the soot and dried food off.

• Like 2

Well were in business folks :) 

Well chuffed then first thing i did coming through the gate on the way home was drop the ferker and put a ding in it ?

IMG_4827.JPG.1019659dbc24257d0413974ceb127814.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG.02d09d9136c2d697a35c8f3a361711cc.JPG

Hot as hell what a treat bloody hate semi warm poxy flask tea and coffee.

Just need to brush up on fire skills ha

• Like 6