Best value fly line

35 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

What would be a good little setup for the complete novice for river brownies. Don’t want to spend a lot because I just mightn’t stick at it. 

20190317_142147.jpg.5811ed26433541f8923ae47c642265be.jpg20190317_142206.jpg.6f686b98139f370c8ac1894e3742f214.jpggoogle fastmail that airflo offer looks good for the money we 9 foot rob

• Like 1
4 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

What are their rods like see a fly fishing bundle come up cheap near me.

I can’t say from my experience, I haven’t got one of their rods , I spent some silly money on Orvis and Sage , and I think that is where you can’t skimp , you will really notice how with a decent rod you can lift off a whole line and cover a rising fish with no effort. You don’t need  to spend money on reels because they really just hold your line , but spend as much as you can on the rod . Leeda aren’t bad , Diawa , Greys also not bad , but look out for Loomis , Orvis and Sage on eBay , you might get a bargain.

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I can’t say from my experience, I haven’t got one of their rods , I spent some silly money on Orvis and Sage , and I think that is where you can’t skimp , you will really notice how with a decent rod you can lift off a whole line and cover a rising fish with no effort. You don’t need  to spend money on reels because they really just hold your line , but spend as much as you can on the rod . Leeda aren’t bad , Diawa , Greys also not bad , but look out for Loomis , Orvis and Sage on eBay , you might get a bargain.

Thanks I've seen fly fishing stuff cheaper than coarse and sea .

2 hours ago, dogmandont said:

What would be a good little setup for the complete novice for river brownies. Don’t want to spend a lot because I just mightn’t stick at it. 

Go outdoors in Newtownabbey or any fishing tackle shop could get ya up n going for about 30 quid apparently Lidl are doing sets also but prob crap

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Go outdoors in Newtownabbey or any fishing tackle shop could get ya up n going for about 30 quid apparently Lidl are doing sets also but prob crap

Don’t mind spending up to about a 100 quid for rod reel and line. 

15 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Cheers mate I may try the Cartland tbh too many folk swear by it, I’ll have w bash, am to add my wee 3# I using jist now is actually a John Norris rod, snowbee reel an Norris line an it deffo does the job, bought it for me lad an if I’m going high up the river either the Swale or one me boss owns then it’s first rod I grab ?gonna try the cortland on it ?

No worries . Them Norris rods get some good reviews and I’m pretty sure the new range are made by guideline for them . You won’t go far wrong with Cortland , they make good lines , I used to use the 444 peach floaters but the sylk is probably the one to go for . I’ve got a scientific anglers #3 but can’t remember which model that’s not bad . I overline a little 6ft #2 with it for small streams and it behaves well . Got one of the older greys heron grey platinums somewhere aswell in #3 but although it’s supple i just didn’t like the line . My mates just bought some new cortlands for the rivers that he says they are alright and cast well , can’t remember if they are trout boss or Euro nymph, possibly the nymph one because he is an heathan who uses wets and nymphs , even when they are rising . I’ll ask him tomorrow , I know they weren’t cheap though 

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I ordered the cortland sylk pal? an a good mate a mine was sayin the other day he jist ordered one the Norris new rods for when his pal comes over to his sonhe can have a few casts. So I’ll prob get to try that at some point. But I can’t fault the wee 3 weight here Iv had some real sport with it?

took an ole boy out with me a couple years ago an he was fishing the nymph upstream about 4 foot in front a him in knee deep rapids an the amount a fish he caught was unreal? I had about 11 on the dry fly above him an even after a cracking session I felt a bit sore at amount he had took??

??. Just text my mate and it wasn’t one of the lines I thought , it was one these 

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/fly-lines/cortland-trout-series-ultralight-floating-fly-line~54212.html 

• Like 1
On 17/03/2019 at 01:39, W. Katchum said:

I’m after one aswell for a small 3 weight for wee wild brownies ? so any suggestions welcome?

I've got two reels filled with Cortland Sylk a #4 and a #6. They've been on about ten years and in the first three years got a lot of use. Then I moved to France and never took the reels out of the creel for 6 years, line still wound on the reels. Last year I stripped them off the reels, cleaned them and wound them back on. No stretching or anything like that as they didn't need it. They were just like new. For small rivers they are perfect, but I wouldn't use them for heavy flies or lures.

• Thanks 1
On 17/03/2019 at 13:46, dogmandont said:

Save your money to be on kit and spend it on casting lessons is my advice.

you could have full set up for £60 or £600+ but without learning how to cast you’ll b frustrated in no time.

where abouts are you as I can teach you and take you out with my gear first like I’ve done with numerous folk and they’ve all become avid fly fishers. 

Once you learn to cast properly it matters not what price you pay for kit to start out.

if you’re a fair old road away I can still tie you some flees and advise you on how and when to deploy them.

PM me.

• Like 3