Border /staff cross

Just now, milliken said:

do you really only think the black dog is more popular due to showing

I was at a show at Middleton,Manchester,very early 80,s,Lakeys always won the shows at that time,on this day a lad turned up with two smart black terriers and he walked away with the shield,an awful lot of folk tried to buy these dogs and many,many put their names down for pups,i know because my mate owned them.He had a black terrier,bred from Welsh stock that won many a show.Middleton tried to buy it when he was a Lakey lad,as he said on the day "it was the smartest terrier he,d ever seen and my mate would win less with it as he was not known"fact,another fact was ken Gould attempted to buy the same dog when he was a Russel man, A top dales terrierman knocked it back,at a midlands show,because it was chinned and missing teeth,nearly caused a riot if the folks remember the day and Kay from Halifax bought a full litter it sired because he could not buy the sire.A while later the dog was nicked and ended up in Bradford and a while later a lad from that area dominated the show scene,possibly with a stolen lineage?Do i believe the black terrier earnt its stripes for its work ethic,certainly not,it earnt its stripes from the few that recognised the fact it could earn them an income,the grafters bred in its name are far outnumbered by the dross bred for the show and dollar.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, gnipper said:

Seen a few lakey staffs a local lad bought in from Burnley way, nice looking dogs but too big for normal earth work.

I used to dig with a lad that had a dog and bitch. These "pointless" terriers were mustard. 1/8 staff 7/8 border. Reasonably steady and not overly suicudal . Back in the early eighties. Sadly The lad never took any pictures.but I do have fond memories of these two.

5 hours ago, diggory said:

I used to dig with a lad that had a dog and bitch. These "pointless" terriers were mustard. 1/8 staff 7/8 border. Reasonably steady and not overly suicudal . Back in the early eighties. Sadly The lad never took any pictures.but I do have fond memories of these two.

I never called them pointless?

I would imagine though when it gets down to 1/8th though it's barely noticeable, these half crosses I saw regular were staffy sized with a broken coat and docked tails. 

• Like 1

I would agree with the pointless statement, unless the point is that it is cross that someone really wants to try. There are no laws preventing a man owning the dog of his choice, apart from Dogos, Filas and APBTs. But fail to see the point of a Border x Staff. Not least because I have always thought that the Border has some sort of bull in it. Pre dating the modern Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Look at a typical Border terrier, imagine it black and smooth coated? Lots of folk would think bull influence.

But why mix the Border with the Staff of today? Increase head size (and the size of everything) ? Should be no need as even show dogs are not lacking in that department. Add gameness? Then why use such a Border for breeding from in the 1st place if is lacking? All hypothetical of course in the UK. Did a well known terrier man not once say that if you have a good working Border then it's too hard, or something along those lines?

23 hours ago, gnipper said:

I never called them pointless?

I would imagine though when it gets down to 1/8th though it's barely noticeable, these half crosses I saw regular were staffy sized with a broken coat and docked tails. 

1\ 8 was just the right mix,then cross back to a 1\ 8 they were game little dogs.

Edited by liamdelaney
  • Like 1