Border /staff cross

Just now, gnipper said:

Seen a few lakey staffs a local lad bought in from Burnley way, nice looking dogs but too big for normal earth work.

Thats my biggest gripe with terriers,the Russel,the Lakey,the Bedlington and a few others lost their working way because to many folk jumped on the bandwagon and sought ribbon and gold,it was far to easy to look for a quick fix in piss poor breeding and take the easiest shortcut to ribbon and fortune.The Black terrier is the prime example of this.In the early 80,s the black terrier was sought more than any other,work ethic had feck all to do with this,it was a show thing over anything work related,the more folk wanted one,the higher the price and the more a few kennels spewed them out for dollar.The black terrier became the sought after must have terrier,far to many bred them for the dollar and then the quick and easy fix for their lack of work ethic came to the fore,a cross to the staff,etc,which became an easy fix for shit breeding,it mattered not an ounce that the majority of this shite gained favour because the majority of the owners where shite terriermen.Now its set in stone with most that the black terrier is the go to terrier,there are that many of them that many are excellent at their task,the majority are bred by shite,owned by shite and are a poor representation of terriers that never yearned for recognition.The Border lost its way a long time ago,lining one to a staff etc.is the piss poor way the black terrier lost its way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

don't see how it would be pointless its been done with some the best lines of black dog and Russell's and the state the border is in today in my eyes with the right bull influence it might help put things right that the kc and show kennels have took away from a one time great working terrier no doubt there are some good border out there but if your not in the click or if you don't have £600 then you might struggle to find what your looking for as a digging dog

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, morton said:

Thats my biggest gripe with terriers,the Russel,the Lakey,the Bedlington and a few others lost their working way because to many folk jumped on the bandwagon and sought ribbon and gold,it was far to easy to look for a quick fix in piss poor breeding and take the easiest shortcut to ribbon and fortune.The Black terrier is the prime example of this.In the early 80,s the black terrier was sought more than any other,work ethic had feck all to do with this,it was a show thing over anything work related,the more folk wanted one,the higher the price and the more a few kennels spewed them out for dollar.The black terrier became the sought after must have terrier,far to many bred them for the dollar and then the quick and easy fix for their lack of work ethic came to the fore,a cross to the staff,etc,which became an easy fix for shit breeding,it mattered not an ounce that the majority of this shite gained favour because the majority of the owners where shite terriermen.Now its set in stone with most that the black terrier is the go to terrier,there are that many of them that many are excellent at their task,the majority are bred by shite,owned by shite and are a poor representation of terriers that never yearned for recognition.The Border lost its way a long time ago,lining one to a staff etc.is the piss poor way the black terrier lost its way.

some far comments there Morton but I don't agree with them all but if I had the choice id go to a full terrier all the time but some arnt that lucky to be in the right circles and do see the bull as the easy way to go but getting your hands on the right bull can be a challenge also

Anybody who ever feels the need to take a break from the norm and walk their own path as far as breeding terriers goes all I can say is go for it and see how it works out. Oh and don’t take advice from morton as he’s an ole crank that can’t see past the end of his own nose. 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, milliken said:

don't see how it would be pointless its been done with some the best lines of black dog and Russell's and the state the border is in today in my eyes with the right bull influence it might help put things right that the kc and show kennels have took away from a one time great working terrier no doubt there are some good border out there but if your not in the click or if you don't have £600 then you might struggle to find what your looking for as a digging dog

Again thats the reason i find it pointless,at one time terriers where bred for graft and the ribbon and dollar played no part in that,as the shows took off and especially as the tinternet as kicked in its become a fact that the vast majority of working mutts have been bred for the nuggets on the net and interested in the shows.If a terrier was bred for graft it would not be as popular as the show and name bred terriers the tintenet requires,a grafter is less important for todays owners and thats why the black terrier reigns supreme.

4 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Anybody who ever feels the need to take a break from the norm and walk their own path as far as breeding terriers goes all I can say is go for it and see how it works out. Oh and don’t take advice from morton as he’s an ole crank that can’t see past the end of his own nose. 

The only thing i cannot see beyond is any reason to breed a terrier not fit for purpose,if thats my problem i can live with that.

10 minutes ago, morton said:

Again thats the reason i find it pointless,at one time terriers where bred for graft and the ribbon and dollar played no part in that,as the shows took off and especially as the tinternet as kicked in its become a fact that the vast majority of working mutts have been bred for the nuggets on the net and interested in the shows.If a terrier was bred for graft it would not be as popular as the show and name bred terriers the tintenet requires,a grafter is less important for todays owners and thats why the black terrier reigns supreme.

do you really only think the black dog is more popular due to showing