Leopard dog

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you will just end up with a faster Catahoula instead of an improved runner,not like crossing with say a terrier or bull breed.

yes. Deafness[edit] Deafness is one of the major genetic traits in Catahoulas and associated with individuals that are excessively white in color and deafness attributed to a lack of melanoc

Think too many people trying re invent the wheel tyres probably be a lot of wastage out of a litter of this cross , don’t see the point when there are already pups been bred out of proven parents that

Posted Images

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

They were bred to be a jack of all trades dog for homesteads, they kept guard,killed small vermin ,bayed large and worked livestock.

The lad I chat to says his dog best sheep,cattle dog he's had or seen .no one comes on his yard with out the dog knowing about it, he lives in Pry maintains and plenty predators after his stock .

• Like 1

I agree they are handy dogs to have around. Should produce a tough, quick, and biddable dog. Maybe a too large for some work you guys do.

I once looked into getting one and checked out a breeder who claimed to produce excellent blood tracking dogs. The female was beyond timid, and not something I would want a pup out of. Add to that, the breeder refused to sell to anyone who planned to kennel the dog outside. I guess unique dogs draw unique people.

16 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

I agree they are handy dogs to have around. Should produce a tough, quick, and biddable dog. Maybe a too large for some work you guys do.

I once looked into getting one and checked out a breeder who claimed to produce excellent blood tracking dogs. The female was beyond timid, and not something I would want a pup out of. Add to that, the breeder refused to sell to anyone who planned to kennel the dog outside. I guess unique dogs draw unique people.

What do you think they would offer over other stock dogs over in the USA? , mickey 

Think too many people trying re invent the wheel tyres probably be a lot of wastage out of a litter of this cross , don’t see the point when there are already pups been bred out of proven parents that could do all the jobs this cross would be able to do and maybe more 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

What do you think they would offer over other stock dogs over in the USA? , mickey 

Over other curs? Size, and maybe grit. They all have good noses and strong prey drives. But like I said earlier "dog fanciers" are ruining the Catahoula's. Black Mouthed Curs, and Mountain Curs have been left to the working world so far.

A member on here from Wisconsin crossed a Mountain Cur with a Staghound. I never heard much about them but maybe he will see this and have a few comments?

ATB

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Think too many people trying re invent the wheel tyres probably be a lot of wastage out of a litter of this cross , don’t see the point when there are already pups been bred out of proven parents that could do all the jobs this cross would be able to do and maybe more 

How do you know what this cross is capable of? If we don’t explore different avenues then things can never move forward. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Hunters are never completely satisfied. Always trying to make something that works better.

It's part of our charm. :thumbs:

Just now, Mickey Finn said:

Over other curs? Size, and maybe grit. They all have good noses and strong prey drives. But like I said earlier "dog fanciers" are ruining the Catahoula's. Black Mouthed Curs, and Mountain Curs have been left to the working world so far.

A member on here from Wisconsin crossed a Mountain Cur with a Staghound. I never heard much about them but maybe he will see this and have a few comments?

ATB

Thanks for the reply , but I was thinking of what you would call  stock dogs over there or farm dogs here ,is it there long proven use for hunting, there’s plenty of documentation of border collies being used for hunting both in the uk and over in the USA ,I read of them being used as squirrel an coon dogs. And in nz on baying hogs. 

7 minutes ago, Allan P said:

How do you know what this cross is capable of? If we don’t explore different avenues then things can never move forward. 

I don’t but at a guess what would you get from such a cross your putting a bathing dog to a greyhound ? What qualities are you adding ?? For me the only Apeal they would have is to the robin chasers due to ther fancy markings , your basiclying  putting a cur baying (some will catch ) dog to a greyhound to produce lurchers for catching fast quarry I don’t see anything they would bring to the table that a bull lurcher , collie lurcher , Wheaton lurcher , or for that fact a good old fashioned mongrel lurcher to lurcher type would do , in  America if your catching a lot of hogs then fair enough they would hold some purpose as faster catch type dogs but as for England and Ireland not much point 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I was talking to a lad who works a leopard dog on his parents small holding in France .

he spoke highly of this type,

just wondering what folks think of this breed to x into a lurcher .

Who wants a baying lurcher?not me. Wouldn’t bring anything to the table. Pointless x if ya ask me