Leopard dog

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you will just end up with a faster Catahoula instead of an improved runner,not like crossing with say a terrier or bull breed.

yes. Deafness[edit] Deafness is one of the major genetic traits in Catahoulas and associated with individuals that are excessively white in color and deafness attributed to a lack of melanoc

Think too many people trying re invent the wheel tyres probably be a lot of wastage out of a litter of this cross , don’t see the point when there are already pups been bred out of proven parents that

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

thicko question, the majority of them seem to be merle so do they get probs breeding merle x merle

yes.

Deafness[edit]

Deafness is one of the major genetic traits in Catahoulas and associated with individuals that are excessively white in color and deafness attributed to a lack of melanocytes.[17] A Catahoula that is predominantly white has an 80% chance of being bi-laterally deaf or uni-laterally hearing.[18] Hearing in one ear is referred to as "directional deafness". Breeders are often unwilling to allow deaf Catahoulas to leave their premises and will generally euthanize deaf pups. Puppies born from a litter where both parents have the "Merle" color pattern have a 25% chance of being born blind, deaf or blind and deaf. These puppies are often referred to as "Double Merles". A double merle can come from any breed, or breed mix. As long as both parents are merle, each puppy has a chance of being born with these traits.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Some people use them on pigs here,they mainly bail for those who like shooting,some lug.I think they are just a jack of all trades,hound, cattle dog type.They are too multi tasked to add anything to a running dog imo.

Aussie Whip, could you elaborate on this a little?

1 hour ago, myersbg said:

My mate in Canada has got one, he has got it to guard the farm, work livestock and hunt coon and coyote with his Plotts, hopefully i will see it graft backend of the year

Got a good pal in Canada ,he's always asking me to go over for few months .

im hopen to go out to see him this yr .only thing is I won't want to come back .

Get yourself out there mate you will love it especially if you have a base to work from  { somewhere to stay}, flights aren't bad prices if you pick the [BANNED TEXT] times, ive been over 5 times now and hopefully going again this year.  

• Like 1

Shame about the Catahoula, their looks are gonna get them in a whole heap of shite with breed fanciers. Destined to become firstly a prized acquisition for stupid prices and then bred to be wonderful loving household pets...

When i first seen propper American gamedogs i seen these stunning merle dogs and tried to find out all i could, with a view to lurcher production. Certain lines can have a decent drop of bull blood, black mouth curs and the Beauceron too. Some say greyhound, molosser and native indian dogs are all in the mix too... Sounds all very romantic...

My own ivory towers all came tumbling down when i realised they are baying dogs and THAT would be the last thing i'd want in a lurcher!

I also figured that they'd be no better than a well bred bull or wheaten cross and if i fancied sommat a bit less 'full on', well go down the collie/bull/grey mix or sommat like that. You could even get yourself a merle one of those if looks matter that much. My mate has one, smart thing and is what i recon a Cat cross would be like too!

Nah, i'd rather let them poor Cat's go the way they are destined to go, for big money and no ability...

I wouldn't pay the rates and have the headache of trying to pissball about getting one over here and over a greyhound. Especially when, with a bit of effort, you could create far better, with the breeds already available.

?

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:10, Aussie Whip said:

I've heard Catahoula's are in Am Bulldogs lines and the Red Wolf was used in the breeding of Catahoula's.I was told this by a Am Bulldog breeder here.Can anyone confirm this?

That's as likely as any versions I've heard.

• Like 1