Applying for FAC, what calibre?

Hello, 

I have a mentor who has DSC1 and 2, I also have a few hundred acres permission for fox and deer, mostly Roe and the occasional Red, I was wondering what calibre people would recommend that would cover fox, Roe (possible Fallow but need to approach that person for permission yet) and the occasional Red. .243 seems the most popular/common choice but some people seem to think it lacking on Reds. .308 the next but probably over kill for fox.
The ideal solution would be to apply for a both above but with cost being limited I would rather have one rifle to cover all scenarios.

Personally I am more interest in hunting for food and management but have said to the farmers I'm happy to keep on top of fox numbers for them.

I also have a stupid amount of rabbits at mine so will be applying for a .22 rimfire too (very rural and in about 100 acres).

I am very new to all this so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks! 

What does your mentor use?

The .243 is a good all rounder,  it's about good bullet placement on the reds with that caliber, if you want something in between ,243 & .308 that will give you piece of mind you can go for the 6.5x55 Swede, The Swedes and other Scandinavian / Baltic nations use them up to moose size, again it's correct bullet placement on moose with this caliber.

You'll get a lot of different opinions from members as everyone has their own favourite caliber, so you'll have plenty of food for thought.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob,

He uses a .308, although he just stalks deer.  I figured helping out with fox numbers is a good selling point for getting permission.

The 6.5x55 Swede had popped up actually, would you consider this being a good middle calibre for fox and bigger deer species for someone that want just the one centre fire?
I know the .243 seems and obvious choice, but I have read it can sometime be lacking on Red's. 

Its all very confusing when your starting out!

1 hour ago, drillerkiller said:

Thanks Bob,

He uses a .308, although he just stalks deer.  I figured helping out with fox numbers is a good selling point for getting permission.

The 6.5x55 Swede had popped up actually, would you consider this being a good middle calibre for fox and bigger deer species for someone that want just the one centre fire?
I know the .243 seems and obvious choice, but I have read it can sometime be lacking on Red's. 

Its all very confusing when your starting out!

Hi DK,

Yes the 6.5x55 will be fine for the job, but of course so will the .308, better to be over gunned than under as they say, the foxes won't know the difference, and of course it will also take care of the reds as will the 6.5x55 which has a lot of respect in Scandinavian countries, it's been around since the 1890s and still going strong, there are certainly a lot more .308s out there to choose from also a lot more bullet choice, but it doesn't matter what caliber you choose once you find a bullet they like you stick to it.

Here's one to throw you, I have a mate who is in a deer stalking syndicate with 3 others, they have a lease with the forestry commission on thousands of acres and he shoots a lot of reds, he always had a .308 and shot everything from fox to reds with it, we have a mutual friend who was giving up stalking because of age and my mate got the chance to buy his .243 high end Sauer  (can't remember the model) with a Kahls scope for a fraction of what they were worth, the kind of offer you just can't refuse, he now uses it all the time without a hitch and loves it, his .308 hardly sees the light of day nowadays.

Your best bet would be to go on youtube and punch in red deer stalking, and listen to what they have to say, there is a lot of experience guys on there, gamekeepers etc who know their stuff, I was watching a head gamekeeper from the Blairatholl area who was knocking over red hinds like flies with a 25x06, he may use a different caliber for stags, but by f*ck could he shoot, I'll try and find it and post it.

All the best with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

Remember you can  only carry ONE RIFLE at a time, so having two is bad enough, 4 or more (e.g. me) is just mad.

Anyway I have had all sorts of deer calibre rifles, and after many years and many deer I personally favour the 'bigger'

ones, currently a .270 and 7x57, never lost a deer yet! As for Fox dead is dead, a .270 is no better or worse than a 22.250.

I reload so have a few .270 110gr Vmax's in the wallet 'just in case', but if needs must i.e. no time a 150gr SP gets used, as

I said dead is dead.

Good luck with this one.

AndyF

Shot many fox's with a 308 and a Swede.

Would plumb for them any day over 243 but that's just me. My 243's served me well, in fact I did amazing long shots with them but soon got bored of all that.

The 308 can be loaded from 110-200 grain bullets and is efficient in short barrels.09fox.jpg.ede3e7592224debead6c03ffd66c9278.jpg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Underdog said:

Shot many fox's with a 308 and a Swede.

Would plumb for them any day over 243 but that's just me. My 243's served me well, in fact I did amazing long shots with them but soon got bored of all that.

The 308 can be loaded from 110-200 grain bullets and is efficient in short barrels.09fox.jpg.ede3e7592224debead6c03ffd66c9278.jpg

? just get ‘em shot Nathan ? well done fella

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:05, walshie said:

Nothing wrong with a 308 for the odd fox. You can't "overkill" them. 

Years back (long before AOLQ) my region consistently refused to condition my .308 for fox quoting Overkill!   :laugh:

1 hour ago, Deker said:

Years back (long before AOLQ) my region consistently refused to condition my .308 for fox quoting Overkill!   :laugh:

Strangely enough I shot a fox with my 308 a few weeks ago. After exhaustive scientific studies, I can confirm it was exactly the same level of deadness as if I had used my hornet. :D