show us your hunting knives and multitools

6 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Don't own any, but always liked the look of Chyrose knives, Adrian Etheridge of Cornwall

DXgvntrW4AA9Wx8.jpg

Just went and had a look at his site 

WWW.ADRIANETHERIDGEKNIVES.COM

Custom knife Maker based in Cornwall UK Hand crafted knives for Bushcraft, Hunting, fishing and the Kitchen.

First thing I noticed was a notice saying that his books are closed. Looking at the knives that he is producing it is no wonder that he can't take anymore orders.......they are rather sublime.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot about a small skinning knife that Chris Reade gave me to try , I’ve used it a few times and it’s very good . Super sharp , and stays that way , it fits in your hand nicely and is just the job

Carrot cake knife made by Riohog

Here is a knife that I had made by a friend of mine Chris Reade , it holds an insane edge for ages . More interesting is the sheath , the old sheath got loose over time and the knife could fall out .

Posted Images

2 hours ago, PhilH said:

Just went and had a look at his site 

WWW.ADRIANETHERIDGEKNIVES.COM

Custom knife Maker based in Cornwall UK Hand crafted knives for Bushcraft, Hunting, fishing and the Kitchen.

First thing I noticed was a notice saying that his books are closed. Looking at the knives that he is producing it is no wonder that he can't take anymore orders.......they are rather sublime.

Cheers

Phil

They put a lot of time and effort into their work that's for sure, here is another maker capable of producing exhibition level pieces

• Like 2
On 08/05/2022 at 14:51, low plains drifter said:

They put a lot of time and effort into their work that's for sure, here is another maker capable of producing exhibition level pieces

I totally agree with you @low plains drifter, a lot of these bespoke knife makers are true artisan's or even artists. Their knives, while I can imagine are a delight to use in the bush, are objects of beauty; works of art. Lucky is the man that can carry such a knife when out hunting or in the bush. For me, I firstly don't have the money to buy such knives, and secondly, if I did i would most likely keep it locked up in a glass cabinet for display only.

All the knives that i use are just tools. Some are better looking than others but in the end, they are just tools allowing a job to be done. I have three criteria when buying a knife.

1/. It must be able to do the job.

2/. It must be comfortable to use over a long period of time.

3/. I must be able to afford it and if I lose it in the bush at night I will just say "F*ck Damn" rather than cry myself to sleep and have to fill in an insurance claim.

The most expensive knife that i have at the moment, and the most i have ever paid for one, is $NZ64.....that equates to 32GDP at todays exchange rate.  

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1
7 hours ago, PhilH said:

I totally agree with you @low plains drifter, a lot of these bespoke knife makers are true artisan's or even artists. Their knives, while I can imagine are a delight to use in the bush, are objects of beauty; works of art. Lucky is the man that can carry such a knife when out hunting or in the bush. For me, I firstly don't have the money to buy such knives, and secondly, if I did i would most likely keep it locked up in a glass cabinet for display only.

All the knives that i use are just tools. Some are better looking than others but in the end, they are just tools allowing a job to be done. I have three criteria when buying a knife.

1/. It must be able to do the job.

2/. It must be comfortable to use over a long period of time.

3/. I must be able to afford it and if I lose it in the bush at night I will just say "F*ck Damn" rather than cry myself to sleep and have to fill in an insurance claim.

The most expensive knife that i have at the moment, and the most i have ever paid for one, is $NZ64.....that equates to 32GDP at todays exchange rate.  

Cheers

Phil

I think similar mate, when I see these knives being used for batoning wood etc, I remember Sandy of Jacklore knives mentioning 3 of his knives being sold within 10 seconds of being put on his website, and the chances of ever being able to get one are very rare, my Mora does me for the rough jobs

• Like 1

I never knock the Mora. I always carry a variant of it, the Bahco, in my pack. Made by Mora and using the same steel. They are quite indestructible.  Less than $NZ20 here in New Zealand.

Bacho.jpeg.189ba89cc79ac124c84565a7e8a2663b.jpeg

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

A few, the bottom knife the gamekeeper one is well over 25yrs old and was my old lamping knife, it's been down my sock down my bollocks down my wellie and once thrown out of van window and lucky to have found it again lol after being stopped by plod . It's got sentimental value now. 

20220510_092937.jpg

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

A few, the bottom knife the gamekeeper one is well over 25yrs old and was my old lamping knife, it's been down my sock down my bollocks down my wellie and once thrown out of van window and lucky to have found it again lol after being stopped by plod . It's got sentimental value now. 

20220510_092937.jpg

The Gamekeeper would cause you grief if stopped by plod?

Crikey....this is my every-day-carry and plod over here have never had a problem with it.......so far.

AD-10.jpg.0e8ec979f4fbaef74bccd71fee194780.jpg

I always carry it clipped inside my right hand jeans pocket and it is obvious to see with the large clip and half an inch protruding over the top.

What do your Police find objectionable in a knife in the UK? Blade length, blade shape? We, here in New Zealand have to have reasonable cause to be carrying a knife in public. The one and only time that I have ever had it mentioned I just said that I live on a farm and carry it with me all the time....explanation accepted.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by PhilH
9 minutes ago, PhilH said:

The Gamekeeper would cause you grief if stopped by plod?

Crikey....this is my every-day-carry and plod over here have never had a problem with it.......so far.

AD-10.jpg.0e8ec979f4fbaef74bccd71fee194780.jpg

I always carry it clipped inside my right hand jeans pocket and it is obvious to see with the large clip and half an inch protruding over the top.

What do your Police find objectionable in a knife in the UK? Blade length, blade shape? We, here in New Zealand have to have reasonable cause to be carrying a knife in public. The one and only time that I have ever had it mentioned I just said that I live on a farm and carry it with me all the time....explanation accepted.

Cheers

Phil

Plod used to be a bit funny when we was stopped in the middle of the night in a van with lurchers and a hundred miles from home up and down the country, so back in the day was just easier to put down my bollocks lol.

• Like 1

I remember reading Ted Walsh's Lurchers and Longdogs back in the late 70's.

In the book Ted says, "The lurcherman should always carry a good knife. Puma make good knives".

That quote has stuck with me all this time, and I love hunting knives of all sorts, especially Puma knives.

And yet, I've never owned one... ?‍♂️?‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Duoclang F1 arrived yesterday. Now just to re-cap, the Duoclang F1 is a Chinese copy of the much vaunted Fallkniven F1. What attracted me to this knife was the price, that it looked to be a good copy of a knife with a solid reputation and I believed that it was going to be badged as a Duoclang rather than Fallkniven, which would only show it to be a counterfeit. I was disappointed in the badging; it has Fallkniven stamped on it. So instead of presenting to the world as a Duoclang that is of the same design as a Fallkniven, it is presenting itself as a Fallkniven and a counterfeit. A shame, but I can live with it.

Here is an image of an original Fallkniven F1

OriginalF1.jpg.b2574bff0de3cc2fc904daa35b35a7a0.jpg

Here is a series of images of my Duoclang that is stamped Fallkniven……Grrrrrr……

CopyF1.jpg.11b1d764831cca4f202b57c335f38eaa.jpg

CopyF1Tang.jpg.9940cd80af6250c18586e9dd36db0e8b.jpg

CopyF1Scabbard.jpg.5b3d53fbb16dfb4cadef662cbe359515.jpg

Now, just a note on the original image. The photographer has obviously had some good quality jiggery-pokery lense that has managed to capture the knife in a slightly elongated view plus capture the tang protruding out the rear. The cheap little camera on my phone isn’t so clever.

Right, so first off, this appears to be a well made knife. The original Fallkniven, by all accounts looks to be a better quality made knife….as you would expect given their price. I purchased this knife for $NZ22. The genuine article, in steel laminate VG10, retails here in New Zealand for $NZ269.

The original, though I have never handled one, comes with laminate VG10 steel with a convex bevel, and a microfine edge. The Duoclang has a straight angled bevel and what looks to be a 25 degree edge. It purports to also be VG10 steel, though not laminate. Will the steel be of that quality? I will never know, but testing will now doubt show whether it has any quality at all about it. Now, having watched videos of the two knives up against each other in tests to destruction, the Fallkniven, as one would expect, comes out the winner, though the Duoclang held up well, just not as well. The shape of the Fallkniven blade works very well in matters of survival with tasks such as batoning wood. This is great if you need a “True Survival” knife. I don’t. I am looking for something that is practical, comfortable, simple and achieves the task of field dressing, skinning and cutting up animals….anything other than that is a bonus. Will this $NZ22 knife do it? To be seen.

Here it is lined up with the competition.

KnifeCompetition.jpg.98943f202fad50ba41cc27424e43f9e2.jpg
/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.huntingpa.com/attachments/knifecompetition-jpg.188675/
At the top is a fake Chinese AD-10, a remarkable copy and a very capable knife. It is currently my favourite and is my EDC. It fails in only one aspect at this time, and that is in cleanly removing the poo-tube in a carcass….it is just too big, especially on small animals.

In the middle is my backup knife. It is a Bacho which is just a Mora Companion under another brand name. Rugged as, reliable and can always get the job done, but other knives tend to do it with a little more ergonomic comfort. But, at only $NZ17, I always have one in my pack and have others littered around the house and sheds. It is currently Sharon’s favourite knife in the field as with smaller hands it is very comfortable for her. Though once at home and skinning, she always steals my fake AD-10.

And at the bottom, the contender. As can be seen, the blade size fits somewhere in between the AD-10 and the Bacho. On matters of the edge, as with all knives I buy, when unboxing I always test them, untouched, to see if they will shave hair off my arms. This one failed that test. However, with 15 licks both sides on Lansky ceramic rod and a quick hone on a steel, it was shaving frighteningly well.

I took it out with me last night in the hope of trying it out on a pig or deer but nothing was spotted that was easily retrievable, so that is going to have to wait for another night. Carrying it on my belt though felt very comfortable and pretty soon I forgot that it was there….always a good sign as to a knife that is comfortable to carry.

I will report back further once I have had the opportunity to use it dressing out an animal.

Cheers
Phil
Edited by PhilH
  • Like 5

Just a quick additional note here. The Duoclang F1 is now doing full kitchen duty. Why? Well, interestingly, yesterday I was reading an article from an old hunter who was reviewing a new knife and after initially unwrapping it, drooling over it and seeing how sharp it was, the knife was then put into the kitchen for a minimum of a week for use there.  His reasoning, if it can't perform satisfactorily in the kitchen it has no place with you on a hunt. And immediately I see the benefits of this logic. Here I was this morning using the Duoclang to dice onions and bacon for breakfast and immediately getting a comparison of how well it holds up against kitchen knives made for these tasks. How long is the edge going to hold being sliced and dragged across the chopping board just doing the mundane things like preparing breakfast? How long will it retain its edge and how easily will it regain that edge with a bit of steeling?

I see good logic in this routine for testing a knife and shall incorporate it into any future testing of knives that I get....which won't be long as I have a genuine Cold Steel SRK-C being sent to me. If a knife can't take the heat in the kitchen it's not a lick of use to you dressing out an animal on the side of a hill in the dark and rain....80

Cheers

Phil

Edited by PhilH
Grammatical error: