show us your hunting knives and multitools

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot about a small skinning knife that Chris Reade gave me to try , I’ve used it a few times and it’s very good . Super sharp , and stays that way , it fits in your hand nicely and is just the job

Carrot cake knife made by Riohog

Here is a knife that I had made by a friend of mine Chris Reade , it holds an insane edge for ages . More interesting is the sheath , the old sheath got loose over time and the knife could fall out .

Posted Images

In a previous post I made mention that I am a bit of a 'knife slut'. I probably have to qualify that. I don't have the finances for expensive knives, so even though I am getting a collection of knives, they are all really cheap ones. I just don't have 200 to 300 NZ$ to buy a knife that I see fellow hunters using in the bush. I am also definitely not a knife aficionado, I'm not familiar with what is considered the better brands, though that said, I am starting to learn the better steels for knives and their intended application. Basically, if I like the look of it, it feels good in the hand and does the job....to me, that is a good knife.

And as it was with this one....

AD10-1.jpg.be2f9fa8a26ae1f23c326b0b5f1a1e4a.jpg

When I saw this one on Aliexpress, and only for $US 42 I thought what a steal, and hit the buy-now button. Little did I know at that time, the Cold Steel AD-10 Folding Knife with S35VN Stainless Steel is considered to be up there when it comes to folding knives.

AD10-2.jpg.54eb556dd37f15eb15998ee0c205acbc.jpg

When I saw that these knives, the genuine ones, retail for approximately $330 in New Zealand, I realised that what I had bought was obviously a Chinese counterfeit. Sharon calls it my Chinese faker. I had to wonder what I was getting but when it arrived I was very pleasantly suprised. It is an almost exact copy of the genuine knife and it feels great in the hand - that itself is testimony to Cold Steel's design.

AD10-3.jpg.f7a28417731c27b3020d41b5a18964ea.jpg

I couldn't, in all truth, believe that the blade would be made of S35VN steel and I believe I am right. That said it holds an amazing edge, sharp enough to shave with and really holds up to the rough treatment. I have now used it to gut out over half a dozen Red Deer and pigs and it is not showing any signs of wear. Sharon now takes it off me anytime she is skinning an animal, although she still uses a boning knife to break the animals down.

Of interest, here is a link to a review of the fake knife done by the 'Dutch Bushcraft Knives' lads that test knives on their YouTube channel. 

All in all, it came out really well.

This knife has now become my Everyday Carry, replacing my little Buffalo River folder that I have carried with me everyday for a few years now.

Can I recommend this knife? Lawfully and morally no; it is a counterfeit and profiting from all the research and effort Cold Steel has put into designing, marketing and producing this knife. Is it a good knife? Suprisingly - for a counterfeit - it most definitely is.

Cheers
Phil

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PhilH said:

In a previous post I made mention that I am a bit of a 'knife slut'. I probably have to qualify that. I don't have the finances for expensive knives, so even though I am getting a collection of knives, they are all really cheap ones. I just don't have 200 to 300 NZ$ to buy a knife that I see fellow hunters using in the bush. I am also definitely not a knife aficionado, I'm not familiar with what is considered the better brands, though that said, I am starting to learn the better steels for knives and their intended application. Basically, if I like the look of it, it feels good in the hand and does the job....to me, that is a good knife.

When I saw this one on Aliexpress, and only for $US 42 I thought what a steal, and hit the buy-now button. Little did I know at that time, the Cold Steel AD-10 Folding Knife with S35VN Stainless Steel is considered to be up there when it comes to folding knives.

When I saw that these knives, the genuine ones, retail for approximately $330 in New Zealand, I realised that what I had bought was obviously a Chinese counterfeit. Sharon calls it my Chinese faker. I had to wonder what I was getting but when it arrived I was very pleasantly suprised. It is an almost exact copy of the genuine knife and it feels great in the hand - that itself is testimony to Cold Steel's design.

I couldn't, in all truth, believe that the blade would be made of S35VN steel and I believe I am right. That said it holds an amazing edge, sharp enough to shave with and really holds up to the rough treatment. I have now used it to gut out over half a dozen Red Deer and pigs and it is not showing any signs of wear. Sharon now takes it off me anytime she is skinning an animal, although she still uses a boning knife to break the animals down.

Of interest, here is a link to a review of the fake knife done by the 'Dutch Bushcraft Knives' lads that test knives on their YouTube channel. 

This knife has now become my Everyday Carry, replacing my little Buffalo River folder that I have carried with me everyday for a few years now.

Can I recommend this knife? Lawfully and morally no; it is a counterfeit and profiting from all the research and effort Cold Steel has put into designing, marketing and producing this knife. Is it a good knife? Suprisingly - for a counterfeit - it most definitely is.

Cheers
Phil

I didn't realise China did Cold Steel, thanks for the heads up, I shall search them out on the Chinese trading sites ?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, PhilH said:

Cheers
Phil

I actually went to the Cold Steel European sales HQ in Prague a few years ago, they showed me round their sales room as I turned up wanting a blow gun, some beautiful blades, but the Chinese copy prices are ridiculously cheap, thanks once again, going to put an order in today ?

https://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/cold+steel+knife.html

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Mine arrived today,very nice solid whacker/hacker....

IMG-82faea65e4f0810fc26ed03407bc2c7c-V.jpg

Looks brilliant. Have you got that trip to Borneo booked yet or are you thinking of going and terrorising the "Bover Boys" in the local Council Estate.....

BoverBoys.jpg.c6f6e5adcf1061cfc48e33f1d976c84d.jpg

? ? ? 

No, but joking aside, they do look like nice knives. I was racking my brains to think of what environment you might using it in, but then again I am sure one would find it very useful in any woodland environment.

Love to hear a report on how it goes and what you think or it.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Looks brilliant. Have you got that trip to Borneo booked yet or are you thinking of going and terrorising the "Bover Boys" in the local Council Estate.....

BoverBoys.jpg.c6f6e5adcf1061cfc48e33f1d976c84d.jpg

? ? ? 

No, but joking aside, they do look like nice knives. I was racking my brains to think of what environment you might using it in, but then again I am sure one would find it very useful in any woodland environment.

Love to hear a report on how it goes and what you think or it.

Cheers

Phil

I do a lot of roaming about in the rough west of Ireland hills,I loose myself in the woodlands and at times carry the 223 rifle with me,so no doubt I'll find something to practice on lol

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2020 at 08:14, Born Hunter said:

Midnight on here used to make decent hand made knives. Sold them way too cheap though and ultimately packed up commercially. I've got one of his 'fieldcrafters', i think he called them, which was his take on a bushcraft knife.

Even though I have that, I still prefer the 5.8" stainless Moras for hunting. I can put half a dozen deer in the chiller with it before I think it need to see a stone again, I've skinned two mature bull tahr with it, stuck a few pigs and done all the usual small game butchery. For twenty quid, purely for hunting, they're the best I have found. One day I want to de-handle one and finish it like those scandi style karesuando knives with a leather sheath..... or more likely pay someone to! :laugh:

I had a couple of knives and a blank from him I think

great knives and way too cheap for a business to survive

smashing bloke

1 minute ago, tilimangro said:

I had a couple of knives and a blank from him I think

great knives and way too cheap for a business to survive

smashing bloke

He lived local to me and I went to see him in person. He was a sound fella and skilled.

• Like 1

China has in the past, and probably still are, notorious for making counterfeit knives. What I do find encouraging is that they are now making knives - usually copies of well know brands - and instead of trying to flog them off as the genuine deal are running them under their own Brand Name.

Here is one for instance, the Duoclang F1

DuoclangF1.jpg.172ba01f4489949b90ad27e37b595ad1.jpg

It is obviously a copy of the famous and expensive Fallkniven F1 and instead of being made with 3G steel it is made with VG10. That said, Fallkniven themselves are now offering the F1 in VG10. However, if this knife is as good as some of the other counterfeit knives that I have seen come out of China, I don't think I will be disappointed and Instead of a knife pretending to be a Fallkniven F1 I will be sporting a genuine Duoclang F1 - they really need to work on the brand name - and won't be embarrassed about it. Oh, did I mention, I have ordered one? $NZ22. How much is that in English pounds 10 or 11 quid? Can't really go to wrong with that.

Another emerging brand in China that I am watching is the Brother Knife Company.

Here is a selection of some of the knives they are manufacturing.

BrotherKnives.jpg.1351735f3d731058476a0a33aa83d3a1.jpg

I am lusting after this one in particular.

BrotherF007.jpg.b980f3b9cdb9372aee27ec6cf9f2d6d4.jpg

The F007 - very James Bondish - and if it is genuinely D2 steel, at $NZ62 one can't really go too wrong.

All just thoughts when considering a new knife. What does everyone else think?

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

I like a decent sized knife,I keep a folder for any small stuff but a large blade is appealing to me......any other of your collection you'd like to share Phil?

Last on the left is a nice blade ....

Their all nice blades but bigger is better as the wife says lol

Screenshot_2022-05-07-16-06-38-064_com.android.chrome.jpg