All good things end

Never easy making such decisions, especially when the've done so well.

Though in my limited expierience, sometimes its better to say, never say never...

Betcha you'll find it tough to see his eyes and attitude when your buckling younger dogs up and leaving him behind, seeing his beat up face, full of fire for wanting to do what he'd rather do, what he was bred to do!

I recon it'd be far better to limit when and where he finds his quarry and keep him both going and doing what he wants to do.

Better to die with a sword in your hand than to pine away in a kennel or by a fire....

Yeh he will always come with me mate on your basic walks where there ain’t a lot of holes about ,  a won’t leave him behind , but I don’t lead him to check places I’ve always had him free hunting flushing to the big dogs. Most the time he’s already in an doing his business by the time I get to him . It’s the places I collar him up and take the spade with optimism that I could have a good day either pushing or him dropping that’s over for him. ?

• Like 3

I've had the good fortune to own a few that lasted into semi retirement, Bosun is right, after beating myself up about the earlier dogs in my career IMO It's much kinder to limit where and when you work them.

They don't know they're old and tired, the drive that's in them will frustrate and destroy them watching you get out with the younger dogs, it's much kinder to limit their work and to keep their place on the team.

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, dillydog said:

I've had the good fortune to own a few that lasted into semi retirement, Bosun is right, after beating myself up about the earlier dogs in my career IMO It's much kinder to limit where and when you work them.

They don't know they're old and tired, the drive that's in them will frustrate and destroy them watching you get out with the younger dogs, it's much kinder to limit their work and to keep their place on the team.

Your spot on the r bud... I've an old dog here at coming 14 years.. last year I dug 17ft to her.. she's been he'll of a dog....but I've said the same dilly to my mates keep them working .. maybe not as much . but you have to pick your place ..ive have found over the years once you retire them they age very quickly.. as if you keep them ticking on still they seem to still have that bounce in the r step.. Just my opinion..

• Like 4
19 hours ago, johnrussell84 said:

Well if someone told me at the start of this day I’d be hanging the old dog’s boots up I’d have smirked and said life in him yet. It started like our normal walk only I had had a shitty day An pushes further a field. I always let him bush he always has the bellman on so him An the wee man entered a small block of trees he flushed 4 roe an then Ewan appeared but no old timer. After 10-15 mins whistling I entered the strip not long went till I found him at ground . But my school boy error spade was over a mile away in the car?. We sat for half hour hoping for a bolt, not to be an where he sat was showing 4.4 no way. I sent Ewan the long walk back to the spade and I sat I heard a rumble right thru the earth to the other side box on 1.4 well now we are talking!!! I started to clear some top layer with a stick the ground was ash so I made good the stick and got to 0.7 before the wee man got back , as I broke thru Zak still thinking he’s a young thing An giving it all he had but the old wounds don’t hold like they used to nor do the teeth,  back home it was evident a few teeth missing a few holes reappeared and he was feeling it . Now some folk would say he will come good and try again but I’ve had some sport some excellent flushing days he’s found me more earths than I ever knew so tonight showering him down hit me like a ton of bricks it’s over and time to chill out 

B1EA0420-6F7E-41EA-914F-056A4B3762D6.jpeg

C721EAB7-8FCD-4851-B512-62A0892711BD.jpeg

889C2025-A20A-4D69-BC48-2AA1297EE1D8.jpeg

DEAAAD36-1A7B-45F3-B820-B2DD970CDBD9.jpeg

It's nice to hear when someone knows when to call it quits.  A lot of folks don't seem to know when and keep going off of ego.  Good for you

• Like 5

Had a very similar thing happen to my old Russell a few weeks back , I was gutted to see he'd opened up old wounds, lower lip not attached again, he's been on easy ones for a while now an this was the easiest one ever,  but probably one of his worst 2nd place ever, back in his day he'd of killed it and started eating it in minutes , he's fully retired now as his plastic surgeon says he's had two many chin lifts ?, be careful with him even on the easy ones ?

• Like 3