Cartridge belts ?

Cartridge belts , does anyone still use one ? I haven’t seen anyone with one for years. I used to wear mine on the marsh when I used to go wildfowling or out rough shooting with my spaniels . But these days a couple in my pocket seems to be my way . I found my old belt while cleaning out some “junk” , it was my first Christmas present from my Mrs and it’s seen some use so I’m going to keep it for sentimental reasons, and I’m not usually sentimental.

60849DA3-BFFE-49F5-B497-57BE23952305.jpeg

• Like 2

Yeah, occasionally for rough shooting as I don't like proper shooing coats with big cartridge pockets. But tbh I can usually get away with half a dozen in each pocket of my jacket and just regularly restock at the truck. The belt will only come out in summer (no jacket) or if I was planning on a right yomp and needed a box full on me.

Edited by Born Hunter
2 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Looks identical to mine ,a tenner from Whitby church indoor boot sale ,came up a treat using renapur ,must have been out in the same weather as Nath mines a bit tight around the waist as well :laugh:

A tenner ?!!

Mine was £8 with cartridges from Bourne's guns and tackle Newcastle under Lyme about 29years ago.

?

I’ve got a couple of old leather ones and a neoprene camo one, I don’t know why, but I haven’t used any of them for ages. I have a small cartridge bag and tend to use that if anything. They do spread the weight better than a bag though, but I reckon I’ll have more cartridges in the bag anyway, it can tug on my shoulder a bit after a while.

10 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Looks identical to mine ,a tenner from Whitby church indoor boot sale ,came up a treat using renapur ,must have been out in the same weather as Nath mines a bit tight around the waist as well :laugh:

Took your sage advice and gave mine a bit of “renapur love” , yes I got my boots cleaned at a country show and  then felt obliged to buy a tub too . It’s good stuff, and I think you will agree it came up nice , I might even fill it and strap it about my more ample waist than years gone by , might have to make a new hole , probably the weather. 

4D7BE929-803B-47CB-8206-FD475EB89FEC.jpeg

• Like 1

I've got several but I don't use them much, if at all. I kind of think that everytime  I went for a walk around the hedges I only ever shot a handful and lugged along a load of lead that I never shot. When we clay shoot we take a couple of slabs (each) so belt ain't enough. About the only time I  use one is when I want to separate different types such as a walk round and then a fox drive followed by a duck flight. So non Tox,  heavies and something like #6 for the walk round. The other thing is that if not careful the cartridges can really gouge the crap out of the lovely exibition wood on your Holland & Holland Royal.

• Haha 1

I have around 5 belts, 3 leather and 2 neoprene.

I most often use a single one at a time as it's a convenient way of lugging 'enough' cartridges around for rough days, I load from my coat pocket & top up from the belt.

Also it's a simple solution for decoying as 5 full belts = 125 carts, I don't wear them just drop them in the truck back and place them at the back of the hide.

For driven days I use a nice old leather bag that holds 100+ and place it on the ground or hang it of the peg (if there is one).

6 hours ago, philpot said:

I used to use one many years ago but by far prefer my leather cartridge pouch that goes on any belt. Apart from a box of shells I keep ear p!ugs, car keys, smokes etc etc in the second pouch section.

Phil

That's a hand bag really isn't it, come on now.

It's ok I wear them all the time.

• Haha 1