Off out in Storm Gareth

Well I don't know who's the craziest Stavross or me agreeing to be his lamp man. I couldn't make last night due to last minute work commitments so said I'd be out tonight. 

The weather has been OK today and sods law Storm Gareth has just struck the NE. 

This should be an Interesting nights foxing. 

This permission of Stavs has its own weather system at the best of times never mind in storm conditions. 

Wish us luck fellas. 

if you get this.  Be careful of branches and dead limbs falling from trees in this wind. if your in the wrong place at the wrong time it could be bad. |At least the wind will cover any noise that you make. Good hunting.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1

Arrived on Stavs permission and the wind was up but manageable, for a while at least.

Stavross put his caller out and we had a scan round with the torch. No sign of any ginger terrorists. 

Tried again in two more spots but again nothing. The weather finally got the better of us, the wind picked up and the rain felt like being shot in the face with a BB gun. 

Back home now with a hot cuppa and clothes on the radiator. 

Don't even think the foxes were mad enough to venture out tonight. 

Always another night?

10 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

Not like us you mean?

No no bud. Been out many a gale.

Rabbits still come out if they can find a sheltered spot.

Charlie will on a lea side of a hill or forest. I think it's not the cold or wet but that their senses are overcome and they feel vunrerable etc.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Charlie will on a lea side of a hill or forest. I think it's not the cold or wet but that their senses are overcome and they feel vunrerable etc.

For the animals it is a matter of hunger for us it is stupidity. Its a lot nicer to do something inside. They rely on their senses to fiñd food and be aware of whats goin on. When it is raining the illuminating light just gets reflected back off of the water drops whether rain or fog which makes it really difficult to find or see the target. There's another night. 

• Like 2

I remember going lamping in Micheal fish's famous this is not a hurricane,87? Anyway me and the two brothers (Harding) travelled up north Northumberland. Usually 40/80 rabbits with two or three dogs,this night I think we had 5 but foxes going round in gangs!! Never seen as many,got couple but it was too dangerous/wild. Had to moved several branches from road going home.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, toads said:

I remember going lamping in Micheal fish's famous this is not a hurricane,87? Anyway me and the two brothers (Harding) travelled up north Northumberland. Usually 40/80 rabbits with two or three dogs,this night I think we had 5 but foxes going round in gangs!! Never seen as many,got couple but it was too dangerous/wild. Had to moved several branches from road going home.

I remember that night well. The previous day there was heavy rain. On that  night I was attending a basc road show at Oakwood park school in Maidstone. And the rain was beating against a glass side of a hall there.  I met Sid Seemark who developed one of the first commercially available pigeon flappers.  At this show he was promoting his humane dispatch pliers. He told me that he didnt shoot much but was a picker up mainly. He had noticed how so many people had difficulty dispatching game and especially ducks. This had prompted him to design and market his pliers. They were a bit pricey for what they were and I don't remember seeing any of them in the shooting field.  I can understand The cost, because he told me that it had cost him £20,000 to design, get it through patent,  find someone who would manufacture and produce them to the market.  I was surprised that when I left at about 10.30 it was totally dry on the road outside, considering how hard it had rained. There was a fair amount of wind blowing leaves about. The wind was quite warm. The  wife woke me up at about 3.30 and the house was shaking, The noise was frightening.  I feared the roof might be ripped off. We got off lucky. A couple of tiles off of the roof and a couple of planks and the felt off of the shed roof. Lots of humorous stories of people's experiences from back then.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Underdog said:

To be honest U, there was a few rabbits about but I left the 22 in the car and just lamped for Stavross. Glad I did saved me drying my rifle out like Stavross had to?

• Like 1