fred90

sportsman's net

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:49, fred90 said:

question for you katchy excuse my ignorance but why are the poles on quick sets a lot longer than traditional pegs. why is net set higher?

the poles are longer cos they go in the ground further than a trad net in general ....on a trad the end pin keeps the net tight .....whereas the idea of pre set is each pole keeps the net tight.....that's the theory anyway.....but as cumbrian says anchoring with a purse net is a good idea sometimes....

1 minute ago, TOMO said:

the poles are longer cos they go in the ground further than a trad net in general ....on a trad the end pin keeps the net tight .....whereas the idea of pre set is each pole keeps the net tight.....that's the theory anyway.....but as cumbrian says anchoring with a purse net is a good idea sometimes....

makes sense tomo but why do they waste about 6 inches at top of pole? I know you can adjust height but all I have seen have top line a long way from top of pole. traditional mines right at top of pegs. 

1 minute ago, fred90 said:

makes sense tomo but why do they waste about 6 inches at top of pole? I know you can adjust height but all I have seen have top line a long way from top of pole. traditional mines right at top of pegs. 

So I don’t have bend over dealing with them 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:30, fred90 said:

I see rabbit fever on ebay are now selling what they call the sportsman's basket system. it's a 2/1/4 inch mesh fifty yard net. in what they are calling our new cumbria style basket. it looks exactly same as nelsons system who's baskets I believe are designed by lifelong Cumbrian on here. nothing new about 2/1/4 inch mesh. I can only assume that there other nets are 2 inch mesh which is too small for alround netting. 

when I have looked on his site most seem to be 2.1/8 ..or 4.1/4 deepending on your view on how a mesh should be measured .....they come from the sheet neeting ....like cumbian I like the 4z.....

best place to buy that is from advanced netting ....although when I lokked a few week back it was out of stock......only £30 ish I think for 200 yard.....make them yourself...

ive got a big basket from brinded about 15 year ago....and a mate made me another smaller thing based on master hunters design....allan salmon.....that's where the poles lift out from a cup style rather than above the basket....

when I get the right plastic tub ...im going to remake liflongs cracking little attempt out of a 25 gallon drum....just need something that's thicker plastic...

2 minutes ago, TOMO said:

when I have looked on his site most seem to be 2.1/8 ..or 4.1/4 deepending on your view on how a mesh should be measured .....they come from the sheet neeting ....like cumbian I like the 4z.....

best place to buy that is from advanced netting ....although when I lokked a few week back it was out of stock......only £30 ish I think for 200 yard.....make them yourself...

ive got a big basket from brinded about 15 year ago....and a mate made me another smaller thing based on master hunters design....allan salmon.....that's where the poles lift out from a cup style rather than above the basket....

when I get the right plastic tub ...im going to remake liflongs cracking little attempt out of a 25 gallon drum....just need something that's thicker plastic...

Find a pic of drum ye after an I bet we have one in yard either pop in an help yaself or get the youngster to throw one in back of his fancy new pick up 😂

2 minutes ago, TOMO said:

advanced netting have been sold out for weeks mate. do you use quick sets for night netting or do you still use traditional? 

4 minutes ago, fred90 said:

the two reasons I have found the extra length good...uneven ground....and for actualy putting the nets and poles back in the basket the poles being longer keep the net right going in the basket.....bit hard to explain until you use one

I buy my pole material in 6 meter lengths , I like a pole to be a meter so get 6, I think retail ones are shorter because they are getting 7 to a length? I like extra on because they are more versatile, you can slide the grommets up and down to suit, I shove poles up behind wire etc to keep things ridged, as I don’t want to run a full net out to cover a small set I just run out what is needed the shove the other end behind the wire so it could be any pole really, I also use a pole pusher for hard ground etc which I slip over the pole end

2F6F7E22-8EBF-4991-8125-96FA6CD111A3.jpeg

• Like 3

I think i read some where nels0n said can compete with advanced netting and a better quality of net

• Like 1

Just now, terryd said:

I think i read some where nels0n said can compete with advanced netting and a better quality of net

Think I read same mate. it said nelsons were softer better quality twine. said advanced was a bit coarse. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fred90 said:

advanced netting have been sold out for weeks mate. do you use quick sets for night netting or do you still use traditional? 

not done any nite netting for a good few year.....learned the old way like yourself....nowt wrong with that either....but the basket and poles ...yeh there heavy and cumbersome...but easy to use once you got the hang......even at night.....at night with each pole you lift out I lift the pole up high and kind of flick the net like when you throw a bed sheet over a bed ..so the slack in the net runs down the running lines....or you can end up with bagging gathered round each peg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Find a pic of drum ye after an I bet we have one in yard either pop in an help yaself or get the youngster to throw one in back of his fancy new pick up 😂

seen one a few year back and should have picked one up......they look like an army jerry can type thing...but slightly fatter with a big hole where the liquid or whatever was in comes out.....these things seemed to be a heavier thicker plastic