fred90

sportsman's net

On 15/03/2019 at 18:03, netrigger said:

By the way,, that black stripe below my post ain't my choice,, I tried to send one of them smiley faces in the post and that what ended up,, so don't think I'm an arshole,, because I already know that..

Regards Bill 

What’s the Cumbrian one the one they all slot in on top of each other neatly?

never used baskets only traditional. I thought nelsons was the best design has the poles couldn't get out of sequence. Read were people said poles in other baskets moved about and could get mixed up? 

Just now, fred90 said:

never used baskets only traditional. I thought nelsons was the best design has the poles couldn't get out of sequence. Read were people said poles in other baskets moved about and could get mixed up? 

I use the older/normal type s basket where they don’t rack up nicely, aslong as ye find the first pole. But tape or summat on it to to distinguish it between rest an Iv never had a prob, only when some body else has lifted it 😡😂

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

question for you katchy excuse my ignorance but why are the poles on quick sets a lot longer than traditional pegs. why is net set higher?

27 minutes ago, fred90 said:

question for you katchy excuse my ignorance but why are the poles on quick sets a lot longer than traditional pegs. why is net set higher?

Couldn’t tell ye mate,I just used it? Found it worked an kept with it, I imagine the poles come on metre lengths, so easier leavin em then length, the grommets on em are easily adjusted by sliding them up an down the pole to get height ye want 😁

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Couldn’t tell ye mate,I just used it? Found it worked an kept with it, I imagine the poles come on metre lengths, so easier leavin em then length, the grommets on em are easily adjusted by sliding them up an down the pole to get height ye want 😁

👍do they ball bunnies up as well as the traditional ones

1 minute ago, fred90 said:

👍do they ball bunnies up as well as the traditional ones

They do the job mate an remember any net can be made into a quickset so if ye think they ain’t balling maybe just use ye preferred net material or mesh size, but there again Iv yet to see any net ball a rabbit up as good as the wee hand made net I got off netrigger, but even if I had a hundred yarder In a basket then doubt I’d abuse it by ferreting a few times a week 🤭😂

I like 4z netting best, i set mine 100% at 6yds, never gat many bounce outs, i buy 6 meter lengths and cut 6 poles from it, i prefer them a meter, you can slide grommet up and down to suit. sometimes in woods were the ground is really soft i might be pushing a foot in the ground so still enough length if ground is bumpy. Also when i set on a fence line i shove the end poles up the back of a square of fencing of what ever, keeps i net more ridged. Just my personal opinion though. ATB.

• Like 4

i done this video a few years back when i was just in the process of playing about with this pole stacking idea. them nets on the vid would be 25yds 6z set at 5yds, now i use 4z all the time set at 6yds. i only use the big baskets when doing a lot of netting when ferreting and at night. I much prefer a small basket  with 46yds in. if doing hedges myself i take 2 small baskets, that way you can run out just what you need to cover the set on either side of the hedge. a small spade small ferret box and 2 small baskets is all i want to be carrying, i have a gammy ticker, have to look after myself. ATB.DSC_1585.JPG.850347080ea3bff83e0d885f0f80c91d.JPG

• Like 4

13 hours ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

DSC_1585.JPG.850347080ea3bff83e0d885f0f80c91d.JPG

as I have said excuse my ignorance. can you get enough tension in the top line when night netting? are they as tight as traditional? all the ones I have seen have been on YouTube and they don't seem tight enough to me. 

i have never had a problem, if you are bothered about it use a bit of twine with a peg on either end, when ferreting i often slip a purse net ring over the end poles and peg down putting tension on the top line. That is a good idea on bumpy ground you can run the net out a bit slacker when putting poles in, the slack will go into the low bits, i will use tent pegs to fasten into hollows, then put a purse net on either end under tension to tighten the top line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thing is as well at night you can run a quick set in any direction you want, round corners if fields etc, same as when ferreting, i run them along cow trods in whin bushes etc and between trees in woods.

41 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

on big sets in woods  i just run quick sets through and sometimes split with stop nets.

IMG_0634.JPG

I like the look of that. you see I had a break of around 15 years it was always purse nets for ferreting and longnets for night time. Old fart like me having to adapt to new ways 👍

• Like 1