sportsman's net

fred90

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats one of the pitfalls of providing a quality product, eventually your at capacity but the work still keeps coming. I do everything myself, I have zero help with anything at all, im up until the ea

By the way,, that black stripe below my post ain't my choice,, I tried to send one of them smiley faces in the post and that what ended up,, so don't think I'm an arshole,, because I already know that

I'm far from being back to full health and wondering if I ever will be at this rate,  things could of been much worse so I count myself lucky.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Couldn’t tell ye mate,I just used it? Found it worked an kept with it, I imagine the poles come on metre lengths, so easier leavin em then length, the grommets on em are easily adjusted by sliding them up an down the pole to get height ye want ?

?do they ball bunnies up as well as the traditional ones

I like 4z netting best, i set mine 100% at 6yds, never gat many bounce outs, i buy 6 meter lengths and cut 6 poles from it, i prefer them a meter, you can slide grommet up and down to suit. sometimes in woods were the ground is really soft i might be pushing a foot in the ground so still enough length if ground is bumpy. Also when i set on a fence line i shove the end poles up the back of a square of fencing of what ever, keeps i net more ridged. Just my personal opinion though. ATB.

• Like 4

i done this video a few years back when i was just in the process of playing about with this pole stacking idea. them nets on the vid would be 25yds 6z set at 5yds, now i use 4z all the time set at 6yds. i only use the big baskets when doing a lot of netting when ferreting and at night. I much prefer a small basket  with 46yds in. if doing hedges myself i take 2 small baskets, that way you can run out just what you need to cover the set on either side of the hedge. a small spade small ferret box and 2 small baskets is all i want to be carrying, i have a gammy ticker, have to look after myself. ATB.DSC_1585.JPG.850347080ea3bff83e0d885f0f80c91d.JPG

• Like 4
13 hours ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

DSC_1585.JPG.850347080ea3bff83e0d885f0f80c91d.JPG

as I have said excuse my ignorance. can you get enough tension in the top line when night netting? are they as tight as traditional? all the ones I have seen have been on YouTube and they don't seem tight enough to me. 

i have never had a problem, if you are bothered about it use a bit of twine with a peg on either end, when ferreting i often slip a purse net ring over the end poles and peg down putting tension on the top line. That is a good idea on bumpy ground you can run the net out a bit slacker when putting poles in, the slack will go into the low bits, i will use tent pegs to fasten into hollows, then put a purse net on either end under tension to tighten the top line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

on big sets in woods  i just run quick sets through and sometimes split with stop nets.

IMG_0634.JPG

I like the look of that. you see I had a break of around 15 years it was always purse nets for ferreting and longnets for night time. Old fart like me having to adapt to new ways ?

• Like 1
On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:49, fred90 said:

question for you katchy excuse my ignorance but why are the poles on quick sets a lot longer than traditional pegs. why is net set higher?

the poles are longer cos they go in the ground further than a trad net in general ....on a trad the end pin keeps the net tight .....whereas the idea of pre set is each pole keeps the net tight.....that's the theory anyway.....but as cumbrian says anchoring with a purse net is a good idea sometimes....

1 minute ago, TOMO said:

the poles are longer cos they go in the ground further than a trad net in general ....on a trad the end pin keeps the net tight .....whereas the idea of pre set is each pole keeps the net tight.....that's the theory anyway.....but as cumbrian says anchoring with a purse net is a good idea sometimes....

makes sense tomo but why do they waste about 6 inches at top of pole? I know you can adjust height but all I have seen have top line a long way from top of pole. traditional mines right at top of pegs. 

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:30, fred90 said:

I see rabbit fever on ebay are now selling what they call the sportsman's basket system. it's a 2/1/4 inch mesh fifty yard net. in what they are calling our new cumbria style basket. it looks exactly same as nelsons system who's baskets I believe are designed by lifelong Cumbrian on here. nothing new about 2/1/4 inch mesh. I can only assume that there other nets are 2 inch mesh which is too small for alround netting. 

when I have looked on his site most seem to be 2.1/8 ..or 4.1/4 deepending on your view on how a mesh should be measured .....they come from the sheet neeting ....like cumbian I like the 4z.....

best place to buy that is from advanced netting ....although when I lokked a few week back it was out of stock......only £30 ish I think for 200 yard.....make them yourself...

ive got a big basket from brinded about 15 year ago....and a mate made me another smaller thing based on master hunters design....allan salmon.....that's where the poles lift out from a cup style rather than above the basket....

when I get the right plastic tub ...im going to remake liflongs cracking little attempt out of a 25 gallon drum....just need something that's thicker plastic...

4 minutes ago, fred90 said:

makes sense tomo but why do they waste about 6 inches at top of pole? I know you can adjust height but all I have seen have top line a long way from top of pole. traditional mines right at top of pegs. 

the two reasons I have found the extra length good...uneven ground....and for actualy putting the nets and poles back in the basket the poles being longer keep the net right going in the basket.....bit hard to explain until you use one