sportsman's net

fred90

I see rabbit fever on ebay are now selling what they call the sportsman's basket system. it's a 2/1/4 inch mesh fifty yard net. in what they are calling our new cumbria style basket. it looks exactly same as nelsons system who's baskets I believe are designed by lifelong Cumbrian on here. nothing new about 2/1/4 inch mesh. I can only assume that there other nets are 2 inch mesh which is too small for alround netting. 

Edited by fred90

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats one of the pitfalls of providing a quality product, eventually your at capacity but the work still keeps coming. I do everything myself, I have zero help with anything at all, im up until the ea

By the way,, that black stripe below my post ain't my choice,, I tried to send one of them smiley faces in the post and that what ended up,, so don't think I'm an arshole,, because I already know that

I'm far from being back to full health and wondering if I ever will be at this rate,  things could of been much worse so I count myself lucky.  

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, smithie said:

If you wanted to be sporting then the net would be 4.5 inch.

Give the smaller rabbits a chance.

? 2/1/4 inch is the equivalent to 4.5 inch on the diamond. so do you mean there description is correct? 

Edited by fred90
On 12/03/2019 at 12:39, fred90 said:

? 2/1/4 inch is the equivalent to 4.5 inch on the diamond. so do you mean there description is correct? 

2 1/4 inch mesh is 2 1/4 inch mesh.  4 1/2 inch mesh is made with a 2 1/4 inch board

5 hours ago, lllluke1 said:

What I am saying is that they are advertising a 2 1/4 inch mesh net.  That size mesh is no good for rabbiting.  You need to find out how they are measuring it to see if it is suitable

its the best size net for night netting. they mean 4/1/2 inch on the diamond. Point I am making is all their other stuff must be 2 inch. which is 4 inch on the diamond not suitable for all round netting. 

I don't think them at rabbit fever have much knowledge regarding nets as they also state that there Z twist nets are spun nylon. Many years ago on here there was a bit of a debate regarding how one measures meshes, the majority measured on the stretch (diamond) and a few on the square (half mesh).         

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When i make purse nets i either use a 2" 2 1/8 or 2 1/4 mesh board, i usually use the 2 1/8, the 2" are good for 3/4 grown rabbits. I know i talking about purse nets but is it the same for longnets. I remember someone once stating it matters with the material used as well as some has stretch others havent, Bill will be the man i would be listening to personally.

• Like 3

That's the thing Joe, when the sheet netting came in, it was basically all 4" full mesh by 15 mesh deep, usually in 150 yards stretched, the manufacturers at the time used this mesh size due to the stretch in nylon,,  plus the knot type the machine could throw but that was years back, these days depending on yarn,, knot type, and place of manufacture we can go up slightly in mesh size regarding stretched mesh size,, these days the nylon nets are set not only by heat but also taking into account how they are stretched, be it length ways or depth ways before being set to ensure uniformed mesh throughout the said net..   I still have an old net here that is 4z in 4" made by knox the net makers from Kilbirnie in Scotland,, and by god it stretches,, not by a lot though, say up to an 1/8th or so, but a good net when I think back as there is more knitted in repairs than the original twine, ?,,  the joys of being a night time netters never ever done,, either mend or replace.  

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the Cumbrian type basket, had 2 from Nelson. The nets are good but I found the basket fiddly when picking up. Took me twice as long, so I've got 2 baskets from rabbit fever, much quicker to use. Anyone want 2 Cumbrian ones for 100 yd nets you can have them for £40. Plus postage.

never used baskets only traditional. I thought nelsons was the best design has the poles couldn't get out of sequence. Read were people said poles in other baskets moved about and could get mixed up?