Price of pheasant poults

What are you paying for poults this coming season. The guy I get mine off wants £3.95 per poult this year that’s up on last year, I’ve had a ring around and I can get them from £3.50. - £3.60 from a top game farm . I’ve been getting my birds from the same guy for 10 years and he’s a friend, and I’ve never had a problem with his birds , but I could save the shoot a lot of money by going elsewhere .

11 minutes ago, micky said:

The market dictates the price , not your mate .

I know mate , but I would just like a few prices from around the country . Are the cheaper prices just to get me as a new customer and then next year ...wallop £3.95 , and my mate has packed in . 

i always had my partridges from the same chap for years always good never any probs 10,000 poults a year, i would not of changed that for a quid a bird, new shoot now and they buy their own pheasants so not my problem, still good birds though, if the price don't benefit you leave well alone.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

An update . I had a chat to the owner and discussed the pricing. We went through the pros and cons . I gave him the alternative prices but he said they for the extra expense we are probably better off sticking with a reliable/ quality supplier with good back up who usually sticks quite a few extras in . I’m not the one paying the bill so I’m happy enough. I do worry sometimes that one day they are just going to say “this is too expensive “ and jack the shoot in , I always try to keep expenditures down as much as I can , because the cost of shooting is rocketing.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

An update . I had a chat to the owner and discussed the pricing. We went through the pros and cons . I gave him the alternative prices but he said they for the extra expense we are probably better off sticking with a reliable/ quality supplier with good back up who usually sticks quite a few extras in . I’m not the one paying the bill so I’m happy enough. I do worry sometimes that one day they are just going to say “this is too expensive “ and jack the shoot in , I always try to keep expenditures down as much as I can , because the cost of shooting is rocketing.

as i said before I used to get 10,000 froggys a year and our chap was a bit top end but I never had one problem with them so I stuck with it, price is all relative, I have tried to save money before and you get that do you think we cant afford it look, and then they try to skimp on beaters, you cant win, so just do your best mate, a big syndicate shoot round here jacked in a few years ago over a crop damage claim, witch if they paid it was a couple of hundred quid each, but they said f**k him he can afford it, but the land owner got to know lol game over, and they were all rich men but lost it through being greedy if shoots are on rented land its always precarious. 

• Like 1
On 12/03/2019 at 07:04, shovel leaner said:

What are you paying for poults this coming season. The guy I get mine off wants £3.95 per poult this year that’s up on last year, I’ve had a ring around and I can get them from £3.50. - £3.60 from a top game farm . I’ve been getting my birds from the same guy for 10 years and he’s a friend, and I’ve never had a problem with his birds , but I could save the shoot a lot of money by going elsewhere .

the phrase i have highlighted doesn't mean much just because they have good marketing and they tell you what you want to hear about how good they are! i know of a large game in Gloucestershire my  boss supplies his chicks if you want a number of someone else locally for a quote it could even be the same person! his poults always look good!