Quick trio ...

Out early this morning with a stiff westerly wind I had only one way to work this permission , it was one of those mornings were the deer were in the places I thought they would be , anyone who stalks a lot will know that rarely happens , normally they turn out to be everywhere but we’re you think they will be ..

From the start the dog was scenting them and it was literally minutes before we came up on a bunch of twenty odd tight against the wood in the lee of the wind , off the sticks at sixty yds all but one bolted across the field and stood looking for a minute or so , with no backstop for a second shot I waited till they hopped the fence and disappeared into the wood .

Number one checked we moved further around the wood and and two fields on another bunch were tucked in a little hollow , this required a bit of a crawl out the wood ,into a shallow very wet ditch and along on hands and knees till I could see into the hollow in the field , off the bipod I took the furthest doe away hopeing they would come my way or be confused enough to hang around long enough to get a second shot .They didn’t , soon as she dropped they bolted down the field and never stopped . Checked , I went back in the wood to carry on around .Not ten minutes later I glassed a bunch of forty plus walking slowly left to right through the wood at about 120 yds , with a high bank behind them I shifted a few yds to my right , got on the sticks and gave a loud cough , as they stopped to look a middle order doe dropped to the shot .Three down I was as far round the wood as I could be with the wind ..

Back to the truck for the quad and gralloching kit they were picked up and gralloched , the dog had a couple of kidneys and various odds and sods she helped herself to ..

pictured at home because I forgot the iPad , they took the scales round to 67lb 68lb and 81lb ( second one I shot ) ..all in superb condition .With the deer I see on my permission and the deer on neighbouring fields I recon I see close on 200 fallow ..

3F4718BD-ED65-4E9B-965C-FFFDBBCA18C3.jpeg.8f182108884dd240088b47dc7dd4e44a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Cracking do that Rich .Is that it for the does now .Any twins in them .

I’ve finished on one of my places but I’ll carry on for another week or so at this place ..in all the hundreds  of fallow I’ve shot I’ve never seen a doe carrying  twins .. I think in all the years of stalking I’ve only ever seen one fallow doe with twins ..and even then I couldn’t be 100% certain they were both hers ..

On 14/03/2019 at 23:33, Yokel Matt said:

That’s ace Rich - really like the nice clean carcasses. Proper job mate?

I like to give them a quick wash down and leave them three or four hours to dry before putting them in the chiller if the weather is cool enough and there are no flies about ..I don’t put them away wet as it causes moisture problems in the coldroom ..I always hang when I gralloch which keeps everything pretty clean anyway ..

• Like 2