Hares

8 hours ago, lampingmad1 said:

The permission I have doesn’t have a lot of hares so I was thinking about getting some live ones to let go there inbox in you can help will pay for them

wrong time of the year

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Leeview said:

Lampingmad theres usually a good reason the hares are few and far between on land thats not suiting the hares

micky why is it the wrong time of the year?

Y.I.S Leeview

Because it is their breeding  season , they would abort  or leave young to starve but as you say ! if they don't like the place ,then they won't be there

75% of leverets are born in June,July, August and September. July alone 30% are born.  10% are born in March April and May with a further 10% in October the remaing 5% being born in November from females born in the spring

I can stand on a hill where I have never seen a  hare in forty years yet look across to another hill 2-3 miles as the crow flies and there are hares there.
So if they don't like the place you won't change that

• Like 2
14 hours ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

I have ferreted a bit for a lot of years, you never seen a hare, now as the rabbits have disappeared with mixi and maybe vhd i am seeing hares. A long time ago someone once told me Buck rabbits hunt out and kill leverets, any truth in that? seem plausible.

I have noticed that too this year the numbers have increased since the rabbits have gone. So I guess they have no choice but to spread out I guess

On 20/03/2019 at 19:05, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

What part of country are those percentages taken from ?

Pretty much nationwide was covered, a more detailed study of age and diseases was on hares shot on estates in East Anglia and Hampshire and involved 4,000 hares

• Like 1

Would think that the weather and other natural factors would change those figures annually, unfortunately it’s humans that like to categorise and pigeon hole everything into neat little files and folders, nature works on hours of daylight, weather conditions and food availability, all three are variable and not constant so a one year study in one area is only accurate for that year at that place,✌️✌️

• Like 2