Avian vermin control?

I normally shoot rats and rabbits, but have been asked if I can shoot some crows/ rooks.  My question is does it need to say on your licence "avian vermin control" for birds on general licence? Mine states "to be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game and any other lawful quarry". Is there such thing as "avian vermin control" on your licence?

Any other lawful quarry gives you the ability to shoot them provided, as Walshie says, they're classified as vermin and shootable under the terms of the general licence. The general licence keeps changing atm, so probably worth downloading a copy from the BASC website just to make sure crows and rooks are still on there and still lawful. I'd be surprised if they weren't but species have been taken off in the past few years, most notably Herring Guls. Goes without saying really, if using a rifle, only take birds that are grounded with a good background.

In fact just came across this link posted today on social media: 

https://basc.org.uk/shooting/general-licences/?fbclid=IwAR2P9YR--Gn3Awog5RljelUI7tmFZ5n7CKadUVNeyYhGk_tpL80TiwmaP-I

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes i general always check the Gov.uk website.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-wild-birds-damaging-your-land-farm-or-business#general-licences

Yes there has been a change in the general licence terms and conditions, from what i understand the animals listed on it haven't really changed but in 2014 or 15 the law changed to say that you can no longer presume no lethal methods won't work and resort to shooting straight away. You now have to attempt none lethal first and prove it!

From the Gov.uk website:-

What you can do without a licence

You must first try to resolve your wild bird problem using standard bird management options before considering taking action against them with a licence.

You should try:

• scaring the birds away using visual (scarecrows, for example) or audible devices (including shooting to scare)
  • restricting access to food sources
  • stopping birds from roosting or nesting on your buildings or land by putting netting over vulnerable areas
  • managing nearby habitat to make it less attractive to birds
  • maintaining a human presence around the site to deter birds
  • using physical barriers to keep birds away

You’ll need to get the land owner’s permission to carry out these activities on land that you don’t own or manage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2019 at 17:26, J.F said:

Thanks guys. Yes i general always check the Gov.uk website.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-wild-birds-damaging-your-land-farm-or-business#general-licences

Yes there has been a change in the general licence terms and conditions, from what i understand the animals listed on it haven't really changed but in 2014 or 15 the law changed to say that you can no longer presume no lethal methods won't work and resort to shooting straight away. You now have to attempt none lethal first and prove it!

From the Gov.uk website:-

What you can do without a licence

You must first try to resolve your wild bird problem using standard bird management options before considering taking action against them with a licence.

You should try:

• scaring the birds away using visual (scarecrows, for example) or audible devices (including shooting to scare)
  • restricting access to food sources
  • stopping birds from roosting or nesting on your buildings or land by putting netting over vulnerable areas
  • managing nearby habitat to make it less attractive to birds
  • maintaining a human presence around the site to deter birds
  • using physical barriers to keep birds away

You’ll need to get the land owner’s permission to carry out these activities on land that you don’t own or manage.

Would this include black back gulls