Just out of curiosity I had a squint at EBay. Without any shadow of a doubt, Honda is the Best Buy around. You can look all you want at Cobra, Huskies and mount field to name but a few. Honda leads the field. I notice quite a few new names but am guessing they are of China origin . Not really tested. Get something about 16 inch with, if you can afford it. A back roller to get that lovely finish lol. Jok.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Have a Harry mower 30 year old and still going but I here a lot of those big companies have changed hands and are using cheap parts so some of the big names aren't what they were. I'd talk to someone who does contract work that puts them to the test and uses and abuses them daily and not your average retiree who uses them once a fortnight and thinks they are experts.

Thanks for the advice, I think I might push the boat out and get a Honda . I’ve got one that I got secondhand, and to be fair it’s been good . I could probably get it fixed but it is old and I’ve had to patch up the body with steel plates and rivets . I know they would just say for f@@ks sake just get a new one . I was looking at the husky and thought it might be good but I reckon it’s probably just a rebadged Chinese job . 

• Haha 1

You won’t go wrong with a mountfield, in one of my many jobs we use mountfield and hayter push along and they never miss a beat, the ride on is a husqy and that’s a quality bit of kit, go rid of the John deer because it was pants and cost a fortune to  fix ?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive got a bit of a fetish for lawnmowers i love tearing about in ours....if youve got a 100 ft garden why dont you get a cheap ride on job off Ebay....we,ve also got a Hayter Harrier must be about 20 years old for the hard to reach places i think they are a decent mower ?  the newer Hayter ones have something like a 21" cut im sure a good secondhand one would be as good as some of them shitty ones Homebase and the like sell ?

• Like 1
On 24/03/2019 at 22:59, gnasher16 said:

Ive got a bit of a fetish for lawnmowers i love tearing about in ours....if youve got a 100 ft garden why dont you get a cheap ride on job off Ebay....we,ve also got a Hayter Harrier must be about 20 years old for the hard to reach places i think they are a decent mower ?  the newer Hayter ones have something like a 21" cut im sure a good secondhand one would be as good as some of them shitty ones Homebase and the like sell ?

A ride on would be too much for this place . At my previous place we had an orchard to cut and I could have done with a ride on then . I had to make do with a Hater mower it was called a Hayterette and it would cut through anything. Plus they have the Royal seal , so if they’re good enough for Her Majesty!! This Mountfield I’ve just got is the business . I watched the video on the screfix website, and this Yorkshire salesman  said “now this is the Farrari of lawnmowers “ and that was it !!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The thing with lawn mowers, like many other things is that a lot of them are the same product with a different name and livery. Mountfield and Atco are two old established British companies but they are now part of the Global Garden Products company along with Stiga, Alpina and Castel Garden. If you look at the similar models from each of those companies you'll find that they are actually identical and all made in the same factory in Italy. Even the web sites are the same design. GGP also make mowers for retailers such and can be branded with a different name, but will have GGP somewhere on the identification plate and the address for the guarantee will be Castelfranco in Italy. Most of their mowers use B&S engines or Kawasaki. However they also have their own brand of motors that are Chinese sourced and according to my friend who knows about these things are best avoided.  

Husqvarna also make McCulloch, Gardena, Best Green and Jonsared amongst others.

If you push the boat out and look at an Iseki you will also find that they make Snapper lawn tractors that sell at a lower price.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

I had a outfront husky,a bit older model,pile of shit any rock,ant mound,etc and the blades would snap the shear pins,it took hours to reset the3 blades,and put new pins in.i got a stiga park pro,and thats quality,no prob with it,honda 520cc engine.beautifull mower.