Buying a Dog/Pup

Where does the average man in the street buy a dog/pup these days ?....regardless of working dog or pet dog ive looked at a number of different breeds lately and im staggered by the amount of sheer garbage and poorly bred animals there are being passed around through things like these Pets4homes,Gumtree type sites....i remember years ago you would sift through the Exchange & Mart and more than likely find something so how does it all work these days if not  buying through word of mouth.

I imagine id only be interested in a dog for a purpose. Ear to the ground and put in the miles to meet the men that are testing them. Ive been sold the odd 'pup' regrettably.

• Like 2

As I only keep working dogs first of I will like to see the parents work at atleast a few times because of was  only once they could have a great night or day or a nightmare then it's how the pups look wormed healthy shiny coats and I like a fattish pup that's fed a proper diet  but more than anything the conditions there kept in and reason for breeding and then a bold confident pup 

2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Where does the average man in the street buy a dog/pup these days ?....regardless of working dog or pet dog ive looked at a number of different breeds lately and im staggered by the amount of sheer garbage and poorly bred animals there are being passed around through things like these Pets4homes,Gumtree type sites....i remember years ago you would sift through the Exchange & Mart and more than likely find something so how does it all work these days if not  buying through word of mouth.

Depends on what you want as there's a good few good dogs sat in dog homes,some are stricter than others on what sort you want and how you keep them,ie,outside or indoors...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Is it a doodle you're looking for mate ?.

1 hour ago, Blackmag said:

As I only keep working dogs first of I will like to see the parents work at atleast a few times because of was  only once they could have a great night or day or a nightmare then it's how the pups look wormed healthy shiny coats and I like a fattish pup that's fed a proper diet  but more than anything the conditions there kept in and reason for breeding and then a bold confident pup 

In an ideal world maybe. 

Our wonderful (???) Labrador was found through freeads, a genuine gundog breeder clearing the last of the litter, paid what the dog owed him, which, 11 years ago was £150 for a fully pedigreed, black, gundog Labrador, that has been the most laconic, laid back, head swatting monster ever. Never had a more intelligent or loving nut of a mutt! 

I didnt actually mean for myself i think i,ll be sticking to word of mouth of somebody i vaguely trust....i just meant for the average bod who decides they want a dog i cant believe they would sift through all those kind of sites in the hope there was something decent....it actually shocked me that there is so much rubbish being passed around you dont need to be an expert to see the majority were generally poorly bred animals getting passed from pillar to post.....i thought there must be more to it than that for your everyday punter just wanting a nice dog....obviously not.

11 hours ago, fireman said:

Depends on what you want as there's a good few good dogs sat in dog homes,some are stricter than others on what sort you want and how you keep them,ie,outside or indoors...

I did have a little venture in that direction it seems obvious to me that many of these " rescues " are just demented old women trying to fund their hobby by getting you to BUY the least favorite of her 7 dogs !.......only to end up passing them on to similar nutcases in the same circle.

Edited to add....not to sound too harsh as im sure there are some decent rescues out there.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Haha 3