Sheep, sheep, sheep ?

I had a phone call from the farmer today telling me the a fox had killed one of the lamps and would I get my arse up there and do something about it, so I rang my mate to come with me, I had to bribe him with first shot because the weather was terrible, so off we went, when we got there it was windy and pouring down but on we went, after about 20 minutes he got his chance and fair play to the lad he took the dog at 307 yards, my go next and 45 minutes later I got to take a vixen at a modest 87 yards, so cold and wet we called it a night ?

F9858A15-F78D-435D-8EC0-5DBB015AF507.png

D07117F9-8F45-4558-AC0D-B11CF953CF0C.jpeg

• Like 11

307 yards is a good distance at the best of times, and particularly at night.

I'm more than confident I have never shot one that far at night, hardly any that far even in daylight!

:thumbs:

• Like 1

I don’t think I would of taken the shot and had he not hit it I would of probably had a good rant at him but seen as he dropped it all I could do was say well done 

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1

Fair play , hell of a distance. I too had a call out at the free range poultry farm I look after . I went Saturday and shot one , but I saw another , so I said I’d be back Sunday night. Unfortunately storm Freya hit with some seriously strong winds . I tried to set up in my usual position but I was being knocked by the sudden gusts and I thought if I do see it the chances are I will miss , then I saw a piece of corrugated tin fly past and I thought f@@k this for a game of soldiers, I’m off home . Out again tonight .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, si brown said:

I admire the dedication boys... it was rough old weather last night!!

hell of a shot though?

Been umin and are in for ages about putting a .223 on me ticket, recon I’ll do it at the northern show?

Go for it, at the risk of starting a caliber war on here again take a look at .243 this is only my opinion but it’s a bit more of a versatile round, I might bump into you at the shooting show ?

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Go for it, at the risk of starting a caliber war on here again take a look at .243 this is only my opinion but it’s a bit more of a versatile round, I might bump into you at the shooting show ?

I agree , if you want one centrefire , a 243 is a good choice , and if you start loading your own you can get a lot out of it . 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

yeah... ive thought about that a lot and I do see more deer than I do foxes but there not really a problem!

but like you say it covers both bases:hmm:

went to the show last year, it was good.. think it'll be a pricey visit this time though!

my lads coming with me and he wants a 410 as he will of just turned 10:laugh: and I want a few bits too!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

No need for any calibre wars, I rate my .243 as a brilliant long range fox calibre with the light V-Max, reality is I very rarely need to take foxes in the next county.

Most of my foxes are rimfire, then .223 if required, each to their own!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, si brown said:

yeah... ive thought about that a lot and I do see more deer than I do foxes but there not really a problem!

but like you say it covers both bases:hmm:

went to the show last year, it was good.. think it'll be a pricey visit this time though!

my lads coming with me and he wants a 410 as he will of just turned 10:laugh: and I want a few bits too!

Apparently they rate the .308 in Scotland for deer, which is a bit odd as my .223 is Roe conditioned for Scotland but not Roe legal in England/Wales.

The .243 is a cracking round and very ALL deer capable, anyone who says different can't shoot!   

I have no axe to grind, I have a .308 and it gets used for target and Boar, only ever shot a handful of deer with it, simply not needed, even for Reds.

I have never understood the attitude that seems to persist... he can't shoot very well, better give him a BIGGER calibre to counter his inadequacies:hmm:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, wilbur foxhound said:

Roe can be shot with a 222 in Scotland,don’t no why not in England 

The Regulatory Reform (Deer) (England and Wales) Order 2007  (was it really that long ago...I remember it well)

During the Final reading of the Bill when Roe was already included with 22 CF, for some reason, the RSPCA was asked what they thought, their response was... we are not sure if 22CF is adequate... apparently it didn't occur to anyone to ask the Scotts how they got on with it through real life experience.  The result was, at the last minute Roe was left off .22CF.

I specifically asked for my .223 to be conditioned for Roe in Scotland (it is, and anyone can ask the same).   The Roe fall down in Scotland with my .223, but the numpties who enacted the Law in England/Wales decided it was not adequate here!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3