Remington owners

10 hours ago, foxdropper said:

No mate and with respect has nothing to do with bolt opening .Remmies have a safety catch that allows bolt to open whilst in safe position and loaded ,came open whilst I was stalking this morning .

I'd guess he was thinking about Opening the Bolt after firing and extracting an overloaded (tight) cartridge, rather than the bolt simply opening whilst on the move!

:thumbs:

PS Other than that, what's the 783 like, never even seen one, my .308 is a 700 SPS Stainless!

• Like 1

I bought it second hand but almost new .The for end is supposed to be fully floated but was far from it so reemed it out with a dremil ,there is a problem with the bullet pick up in the mag ,have to hold the back of the mag tight before it loads one in .Shoots ok  but got to get past this bolt opening whilst stalking thing or its getting rid of .

Deker- your 700 has the same safety dosnt it ,how do you manage to keep the bolt shut when slung on your shoulder .

10 hours ago, foxdropper said:

No mate and with respect has nothing to do with bolt opening .Remmies have a safety catch that allows bolt to open whilst in safe position and loaded ,came open whilst I was stalking this morning .

Sorry meant nothing  to do with home loading 

6 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I bought it second hand but almost new .The for end is supposed to be fully floated but was far from it so reemed it out with a dremil ,there is a problem with the bullet pick up in the mag ,have to hold the back of the mag tight before it loads one in .Shoots ok  but got to get past this bolt opening whilst stalking thing or its getting rid of .

Deker- your 700 has the same safety dosnt it ,how do you manage to keep the bolt shut when slung on your shoulder .

I'm really not sure, I thought the 783 was a totally different rifle, I know next to nothing about them. 

Never had an issue with my 700 bolt when out!

IIRC the 783 was a modular design and cheaply made with I believe quite a bit of plastic where steel should be .....going to have to check now.....

Ummmm....not sure now.

It's based on the marlin x7.

My personal opinion of Remington is keep away from anything post 2000 unless you like fixing and tuning firearms. Same for marlin post 2000!

Sorry.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

783 is a cheap rifle SRP of $399 compared to $1,126 for 700 series. Beyond that, I can't comment. However, I suppose something has to give somewhere as at that price it's cheaper than a CZ.

If it's new or 2nd hand shop bought, take it back to the shop. If it's 2nd hand and privately bought, then you might need a gunsmith to look at it. Doesn't help the OP but one thing I do know is the 700 is a very good rifle trigger apart, which is easily replaced or fettled.

Yes it’s the budget version but safety is same as 700 .The bolt can be opened when rifle on safe which is why it flicked open on my shoulder ,twice ,whilst stalking .Im wondering if anyone has come across this and what they did to rectify if anything .

3 hours ago, Alsone said:

783 is a cheap rifle SRP of $399 compared to $1,126 for 700 series. Beyond that, I can't comment. However, I suppose something has to give somewhere as at that price it's cheaper than a CZ.

If it's new or 2nd hand shop bought, take it back to the shop. If it's 2nd hand and privately bought, then you might need a gunsmith to look at it. Doesn't help the OP but one thing I do know is the 700 is a very good rifle trigger apart, which is easily replaced or fettled.

Whatever you have read the 700 ISN'T a very good rifle, it is the USA's biggest selling rifle and it is perfectly adequate, it's the Ford Mondeo of the rifle world, and does a very acceptable job, it if FAR from being a very good rifle, and the trigger is fine since the X-Mark Pro was introduced, matches the rifle, perfectly adequate without being exceptional!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Yes it’s the budget version but safety is same as 700 .The bolt can be opened when rifle on safe which is why it flicked open on my shoulder ,twice ,whilst stalking .Im wondering if anyone has come across this and what they did to rectify if anything .

You could look to see if the bolt handle has a ball detent that is not working....I don't know if one is used but take a look.

17 hours ago, Deker said:

Whatever you have read the 700 ISN'T a very good rifle, it is the USA's biggest selling rifle and it is perfectly adequate, it's the Ford Mondeo of the rifle world, and does a very acceptable job, it if FAR from being a very good rifle, and the trigger is fine since the X-Mark Pro was introduced, matches the rifle, perfectly adequate without being exceptional!

A friend of mine has a 700 which had a custom trigger put in it instead of the Remington trigger replacement during the recall. They use it for target shooting at a Home Office Registered Club and are highly satisfied. I guess maybe it comes down to differing opinions. In fairness, they probably don't have the range of experience you have Deker, so maybe they've never experienced a higher quality rifle. The only feedback I've ever received for it is they absolutely love it and are competitive with it. I do remember they had the barrel free floated as well though.

Edited by Alsone

It’s not a fault with the rifle I’m told but a design fault all remmy 700 series have .Its beyond me why it’s like it being used to a tikka .Apparently an elastic band sorts all lol,allowing another round to be chambered but not allowing bolt to open whilst carrying .

I will just have to live with it I guess .