Ferreting Dog

As Bobtheferret said, they simply know better than us so, as a result, I wouldn't want to go ferreting without a dog. I no longer have any ferrets, as the farms I worked on have gradually been covered in concrete, but when I did I caught a lot more with my prick-eared sheepdogs. If it was a choice between dog or nets I'd choose dog every time: you may not catch quite as many but it's a lot more fun.

To be completely honest, the only reason I had ferrets was to give the dogs a more definite "job" whereas now they're "just" ( for want of a better word ) bushing and mooching dogs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn’t waste my time going without mine half x collie greyhound, put a lot of good sport infront of my ferrets in the last 6 seasons 

Yea  just knowing the dog. Some times mine will have his doubts he know its there some were just not 100% sure so he will sort of look at me as if to say what do you think. I will look at him as if to

The whippet x Russell pups in classifieds on here look ideal for ferreting /hedgerows .

Posted Images

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:47, garbs said:

You lads have some really nice working dogs this post shows it.neils looks switched on?but I’d be keen to see if there are any guys in Australia that use dogs for ferreting (I know sirblessed does) but I would be interested to see if anyone else does

These are relo's of sirblessed dogs,we live 500k's apart,shows how few good ferreting dogs in OZ there are.Lost the black and white bitch to a grass seed in the lung at 2years,gutted.

sharons pics 024.jpg

I’m not being disrespectful of anyone I’m an avid viewer of sir blessed and enjoy all of his vids and his and have watched alllll of them with his dogs cass zip and fleet point of fact hes been more than helpful to me and I currently have two of his ferrets which I breed this year all I said is a good dog that marks up off the bat is a gem.take it how you will 

• Confused 1

I take my Spaniel with me she is trained to the Gun but not much good for a lot else but I enjoy her company , if you net up well and have a locater a dog is not really  needed  saying that though I could watch Katchums  lad's Plummer all day long .

bun234.jpg

DSCF3221_zpslluk5dnn.jpg

SAM_0270_zps99505c4b.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, garbs said:

I’m not being disrespectful of anyone I’m an avid viewer of sir blessed and enjoy all of his vids and his and have watched alllll of them with his dogs cass zip and fleet point of fact hes been more than helpful to me and I currently have two of his ferrets which I breed this year all I said is a good dog that marks up off the bat is a gem.take it how you will 

So what,why did you put this after my post

10 hours ago, garbs said:

Nope just my opinion but like grompz you know you have a good dog when it does its thing on its own if your lucky to get one like that?

Your better off staying home watching other people hunt and playing with your ferrets,boy.

22 hours ago, fred90 said:

I think a lot of false marking comes from shouting dog over to holes and pointing to holes for them to go to. I have always found the dog will work the holes occupied itself let the dog do it's own thing. 

I never give mine any commands or direction,as you say let them do their thing, especially dogs line bred for the job.

23 hours ago, fred90 said:

I think a lot of false marking comes from shouting dog over to holes and pointing to holes for them to go to. I have always found the dog will work the holes occupied itself let the dog do it's own thing. 

I agree with that , my dog is not the best at marking  especially  when there is another dog there and if I send her to a hole she will start digging just to please me [I think ] but if left alone she will look at hole and sit , I think this stems from Trapping or Snaring because when I have made a catch in a Trap or Snare  she will sit about 6 feet away and look

SAM_0390_zpsc529ce74.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, micky said:

I agree with that , my dog is not the best at marking  especially  when there is another dog there and if I send her to a hole she will start digging just to please me [I think ] but if left alone she will look at hole and sit , I think this stems from Trapping or Snaring because when I have made a catch in a Trap or Snare  she will sit about 6 feet away and look

SAM_0390_zpsc529ce74.jpg

you have certainly been amongst the rabbits there. is that this season?