Ferreting Dog

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn’t waste my time going without mine half x collie greyhound, put a lot of good sport infront of my ferrets in the last 6 seasons 

Yea  just knowing the dog. Some times mine will have his doubts he know its there some were just not 100% sure so he will sort of look at me as if to say what do you think. I will look at him as if to

The whippet x Russell pups in classifieds on here look ideal for ferreting /hedgerows .

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, darbo said:

The dam was said to be Gutchcommon bred but i have no breeding history of her. Here is the sires ped there is some lakeland and border way back.

22046870_518710398482122_6871303123481615508_n.jpg

I see there's a eakring dog in there from John piggin remember them in the 80s

• Like 1

The best bedlington /greyhound i have seen was when some local fellas took a grey to j. piggin to be lined from i think floyd around 1984. My old mate took a dog pup on. ive watched a fair few 1st crosses since them times and he was the best of the bunch.

• Like 1

It absolutely amazes me some of the holes the dog marks that look utter shite yet if he marks it there’s a rabbit home. On the other side I have seen holes that look positively alive with rabbits dog ignores them and I think there must be rabbits at home and lo and behold...they are empty! I hate ferreting without a dog, I would lose a lot of rabbits due to my lazy netting also as he gets to them 10 times quicker than I do! It’s also one of the best things to just pop a ferret in and pit rabbit against dog, sure they miss plenty but it’s such a thrill watching them and when they catch one nothing beats it ?

• Like 4

Beddy whippet type, collie whippet type are nice and small, cant go past a farm bred collie i think, mine was good for me. Its crap ferreting without a marking dog and i dont think it does ferrets any good running unhabited warrens, when you put a ferret to ground it should expect to find a rabbit.

• Like 5
On 04/03/2019 at 20:47, garbs said:

You lads have some really nice working dogs this post shows it.neils looks switched on?but I’d be keen to see if there are any guys in Australia that use dogs for ferreting (I know sirblessed does) but I would be interested to see if anyone else does

I use greyhound x kelpie/collie and a terrier x. 

Both were just young pound dogs I got around 7 months old.

The terrier is needed in a lot of the bush I trap in rabbits come up and hide in boxthorns etc. Smaller dog pushes them out easy. And has caught rabbits hiding in boxthorns , dead tree piles on his own.

DSC_0625.JPG

IMG_20190101_160407_659.jpg

• Like 2

like darbo some of the best marking dogs ihad for ferreting were  Bedlington based lurchers, most of them had the old true strain of rillington and eakring blood in them. the last one I had came from les robinson in brigg, had norman, lena, blue,venus etc  took to ferreting like aduck to water and never lied at a mark,seen lots of false markers in my time, just let them do it in there own time, some of the best marking dogs  that were about used by the old boys were just mongrel bred, but usually had abit of terrier some where in the mix

• Like 3

I think a lot of false marking comes from shouting dog over to holes and pointing to holes for them to go to. I have always found the dog will work the holes occupied itself let the dog do it's own thing. 

• Like 4