vitamin D/suppliment's

the wife had blood test's back and the doctor said she has very low vitamin D level's.

he prescribed vitamin D tablet's for her to take.

and said that diet wont give the body enough vitamin D.

he mentioned the people in norway taking it every day.

do anyone on here take vitamin D daily through winter or any other supplements.and have you found a positive benefit from taking any supplements etc

maybe that the old saying about the winter blue's is infact a lack of vitamin D and people feeling a little low in themselves through winter.

just found this article.

is anyone surprised that we Brits are in danger of having vitamin D deficiencies? Those long winter nights might be far from your mind right now, but seeing how keen we are to strip off as soon as the sun comes out might remind us that sunshine, an important source of vitamin D, isn’t that common a sight. A report from Public Health England has today recommended that everyone should take vitamin D supplements (before it was only under-fives and those ‘at risk’ who were recommended to do so). The suggested daily amount is 10 micrograms and, when the sun goes into hiding, it’s difficult to achieve that through food alone.

Why do we need vitamin D? Well, it regulates the calcium and phosphate in the body, making it vital for bone, muscle and tooth development and growth. A lack of it can lead to a higher risk of bone disease and fracture and, in the worst cases, rickets. There are also studies that suggest vitamin D can help the battle against cancers, cardiovascular disease and multiple sclerosis.

The Scandinavians know all about this. They may only have one or two hours of sunlight in midwinter — the land of the midnight sun, and the midday darkness — but their situation is not so different from here. Look at Oslo. In mid-December last year, the sun rose at 9.08am and set at 3.12pm. Aberdeen on the same date? 8.33am and 3.08pm. Even in Edinburgh there were only 7.05 hours of sun, compared to Oslo’s 6.04.

Why does that matter? Well, because in Norway, as in other northerly countries, people are well aware of the dangers of not getting enough vit D. Their Food Safety Authority, like ours, advises getting 10mg a day, and recommends sun exposure and food high in vitamin D (particularly oily fish, including cod liver oil) as a way of doing this, as well as supplements. In 2013 it was even suggested that the recommended daily amount was raised to 20mg per day.

My Norwegian mother used to force-feed us cod liver oil, or tran, every day — as her mother did to her, and back it went through the generations, right back to the Vikings, who would even eat whole cod livers dipped in the oil. Hmm, tasty. To this day, my mother still buys me pots of cod liver oil tablets. The Vikings also rubbed it on their muscles to ease pain — though it probably wasn’t as effective as ibuprofen gel.

It’s also normal to encourage sunbed use; at my local gym in Oslo, there was a row of sunbed cubicles by the swimming pool, and a notice about the importance of getting enough vitamin D all year round. Of course, excessive use of sunbeds can also be dangerous, which could even be why many Brits don’t get enough vitamin D. We’re so scared of sunshine and the risk of skin cancer that we avoid it like the plague. But Dr Louis Levy, head of nutrition science at Public Health England, says that we should in fact allow our sunscreen-free skin to be exposed to short bursts of sunshine — without getting burnt (or even a tan). It’s a tricky balancing act, though. I’m sure we all know someone who got a bit overexcited at this week’s sunshine and now resembles a lobster.

It’s also possible that your mental wellbeing could be helped by extra vitamin D. Seasonal Affective Disorder (or SAD) has been linked to a lack of vitamin D in the past. One town in Norway recently installed mirrors on the mountainside to reflect sun rays into the valley below – an idea that was actually mooted in the early 1900s. (Instead, they built a cable car so residents could go to the mountain top to recharge their vitamin D levels).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the correction ould hand. If we ate a better diet more natural foods an fruits an veg i think our overall health would be better, the amount of processed food with next to no vit an mi

I think as brits we also spend to much time indoors which doesn’t help the situation I bought my misses a sun lamp which is meant to help with the winter blues, lots of Jamaicans I no suffer badly as

The good Lady is prescribed it, and takes iit daily. VitD is particularly important for women, as it aid s the absorption and metabolism of calcium, which prevents osteoporosis.  

im prescribed it from doctor and take it every day. i have now for a few years and dont notice any difference.

most people get enough vit D from daylight i believe. low vit D can mess up your bone density and lead to osteoporosis i was told. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, antg said:

im prescribed it from doctor and take it every day. i have now for a few years and dont notice any difference.

most people get enough vit D from daylight i believe. low vit D can mess up your bone density and lead to osteoporosis i was told. 

My sister-in-law is in the early stages of osteoporosis due to lack of sunlight and is having Vit D injections. Ironically she lives in sunny California, but wearing factor 10 million sunblock every day has ruined her. 

1 minute ago, walshie said:

My sister-in-law is in the early stages of osteoporosis due to lack of sunlight and is having Vit D injections. Ironically she lives in sunny California, but wearing factor 10 million sunblock every day has ruined her. 

mad that.  all that lovely weather and having to take vit D

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, antg said:

i thought maybe a difference could be felt antg.

8 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Take her on a nice long sunny holiday mate :thumbs:

neither of us have ever been abroad mate.or been on a plane.maybe in years to come we will.

• Like 1

I think as brits we also spend to much time indoors which doesn’t help the situation I bought my misses a sun lamp which is meant to help with the winter blues, lots of Jamaicans I no suffer badly as they get older with joint issues through lack of sun 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, king said:

i thought maybe a difference could be felt antg.

i dont feel any different King. i get blood tests every 3 month due to a drug i take can wreck my liver so they keep a close check on me. it flagged up after one of these blood tests that i had low vit D. i wouldn't have known as i didnt feel anything was wrong and still feel no different after taking it for 2 or so years now.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, walshie said:

thats crazy walshie.so the benefit the sunblock gives theres a price to pay for no vitamin D

29 minutes ago, king said:

thats crazy walshie.so the benefit the sunblock gives theres a price to pay for no vitamin D

Yep. The last time her Dad saw her he said "You must be the whitest person in California."  If she'd stayed in Ireland, presumably she wouldn't have used the sunblock and would have got more sun and not had the problem.