Old photo 1960

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great uncle wearing suit and tie with me aunt and what looks like a collie greyhound 

My dad and square vardo hereford 1955 ,No better life .

That  dog could keep the family fed when things where tough I was told  . the dog was a proper thief with no respect for boundaries lol . One time so the story goes they stopped over night and the dog

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

We stayed near melton few times ,used Togo to cattle market .it still on Tuesday morning I think but been a while since I've been.

lot of travelers had grinders ,good money earner ,

We live in a throw away society now mate people wouldn’t know a good knife let alone wanting someone to put a edge on it. Folk kept stuff and had for years 

• Like 6
34 minutes ago, Daisy the destroyer said:

Aha no mate it’s jesse lee from Canterbury he does look similar to Bartley in that pic at that angle though lol 

We used to stay with some of the lee s ,and my grandad new Bartley and his family .old George gaskin was one of the best old travelers I met ,as kids we would sell him green stamps lol god few yrs ago .

we stayed with George at Grantham ,he gave me my first game cock when I was five or six .

i walked miles with him when I was small .

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

We stayed near melton few times ,used Togo to cattle market .it still on Tuesday morning I think but been a while since I've been.

lot of travelers had grinders ,good money earner ,

it is still on ..on a Tuesday morning mate....still a few characters there....me and the mrs went just a few weeks ago....

the lurcher that's in my avatar ...im the shorter fella holding the trophy....that lurcher came from cattle market ....a chap was walking round with her...he was meeting somone to sell her but the fella never turned up....he wanted £120 for her...I gave him £60 ......I drove home with her stretched out on the back seat....my mrs  was preggers at the time....been to one of the swimming classes for preggers women....picked her up from the baths.....she didn't half get a shock seeing this new dog stretched out on the back seat...

what a cracking dog she ended up being as well...6 month after getting her she won the windmill cup...2003

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

how old are you moocher??...did you experience life like that .....bet there some cracking stories to tell....

grand old age for your nan.....it might have been hard life for her....but by Christ she did well on it

Most my family live to good age ,all the fresh air and not a stressful way of life like in a house and all the bills etc to b payed ,no as long as we fed and warm that's all that mattered .

• Like 1
Just now, Moocher71 said:

We used to stay with some of the lee s ,and my grandad new Bartley and his family .old George gaskin was one of the best old travelers I met ,as kids we would sell him green stamps lol god few yrs ago .

we stayed with George at Grantham ,he gave me my first game cock when I was five or six .

i walked miles with him when I was small .

Did old George Gaskin stop around the Doncaster area for a wile a chap I worked at the pit with in the early 80s was a good mate of some of these old travellers and used to tell me tales about another well known traveller Joe Wiltshire his name was Jud Daffin another old boy now no longer with us.

1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

Most my family live to good age ,all the fresh air and not a stressful way of life like in a house and all the bills etc to b payed ,no as long as we fed and warm that's all that mattered .

there was a thread a few years back about folk that don't look after there kids right....

and I remember saying at the time....what you just said.....as long as kids are well fed ..warm ...and loved....everything else after that is extras....like phones playstations ect

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TOMO said:

it is still on ..on a Tuesday morning mate....still a few characters there....me and the mrs went just a few weeks ago....

the lurcher that's in my avatar ...im the shorter fella holding the trophy....that lurcher came from cattle market ....a chap was walking round with her...he was meeting somone to sell her but the fella never turned up....he wanted £120 for her...I gave him £60 ......I drove home with her stretched out on the back seat....my mrs  was preggers at the time....been to one of the swimming classes for preggers women....picked her up from the baths.....she didn't half get a shock seeing this new dog stretched out on the back seat...

what a cracking dog she ended up being as well...6 month after getting her she won the windmill cup...2003

You did well with her tomo ,got any pics mate .

i might have a drive to melton in couple weeks see if get few hens .

its a nice day out ,haven't been for yrs .

6 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Did old George Gaskin stop around the Doncaster area for a wile a chap I worked at the pit with in the early 80s was a good mate of some of these old travellers and used to tell me tales about another well known traveller Joe Wiltshire his name was Jud Daffin another old boy now no longer with us.

Yes he stayed around that area ,I think Henry gaskin lived up that way as well ,he was into his coursing and had some good juckels .

a lot of traveling men work down pit ,my grandad was horse dealer but the pit was a regular income for them ,he also supplied Welsh ponies for pits .

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

Yes he stayed around that area ,I think Henry gaskin lived up that way as well ,he was into his coursing and had some good juckels .

a lot of traveling men work down pit ,my grandad was horse dealer but the pit was a regular income for them ,he also supplied Welsh ponies for pits .

Remember know it was Henry who Juddy used to mention a lot .