Old photo 1960

4 hours ago, marshman said:

9AAE802A-0E27-4989-A664-AC90661D5D6A.jpeg.8ad0473d8221b425e5b4a395b786babc.jpegGreat uncle wearing suit and tie with me aunt and what looks like a collie greyhound 

Nice picture fella ??I’m sure I’ve seen it before some were. I’ve a lot of respect for the real gypsys of England (the Romany)  but can’t say the same about the Irish travelers that leave every were they camp up a shit hole for the tax payer to sort out 

• Like 3

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great uncle wearing suit and tie with me aunt and what looks like a collie greyhound 

My dad and square vardo hereford 1955 ,No better life .

That  dog could keep the family fed when things where tough I was told  . the dog was a proper thief with no respect for boundaries lol . One time so the story goes they stopped over night and the dog

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Fantastic picture marsh man love the old pictures of the wagons and vans with there little bender tents out side and couple dogs nocking about , the live style looks romantic but I sure wouldn’t like to do it through winter 

lived on the rd through the 70s and 80s and I got to be honest I karnt remember ever being cold ,of course every one feels the bad weather but traveling people are  used to being out side and spend more time out in the elements than most .it was a good way to live ,but like been said not many of the olders left .

1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

So Marshman is your Ancestry Romany Gypsy or Irish Traveller.

They say the Romany Gypsys came out of a Area of Northern India and migrates across Europe.

I think I read the Romany tounge is very similar to the Northern Indian cant of a certain region ????

I remember as a kid of A Gypsy lady knocked our door selling pegs or whatever my mam always made them welcome ' bought something offered a cuppa and they seemed to appreciate that they were treat well and not looked down on.

But as Iv said' the wannabes of today are making folk be wary.

When I was a kid I'd go out with my old nan hawking pegs,lace ,flowers my grandad had grinding bike and he'd take good money ,

dont see it any more,shame .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

So Marshman is your Ancestry Romany Gypsy or Irish Traveller.

They say the Romany Gypsys came out of a Area of Northern India and migrates across Europe.

I think I read the Romany tounge is very similar to the Northern Indian cant of a certain region ????

I remember as a kid of A Gypsy lady knocked our door selling pegs or whatever my mam always made them welcome ' bought something offered a cuppa and they seemed to appreciate that they were treat well and not looked down on.

But as Iv said' the wannabes of today are making folk be wary.

Yeah Romany mate .

a lot of words are the same as Indian like we used to to say parnee when we wanted a piss , didn’t realise that parnee is the Indian word for water .

1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

Fantastic picture marsh man love the old pictures of the wagons and vans with there little bender tents out side and couple dogs nocking about , the live style looks romantic but I sure wouldn’t like to do it through winter 

Hard times mate but from the old uns it didn’t matter if you worked in the pit in mill or on the land when your poor everyone was in the same boat 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, marshman said:

Yeah Romany mate .

a lot of words are the same as Indian like we used to to say parnee when we wanted a piss , didn’t realise that parnee is the Indian word for water .

always called water parnee

1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

I spent nearly 20 years living on the road as for want of a better word a hippy traveller and have lived in all sorts from Bender tents,bow top wagons to a double decker bus and by far it was the best years of my life.When my kids have all grown up and left the nest and are all sorted i'll end my days back on the road as it's a lot less hassle than the rat race of modern life full of it's crap we really don't need....

I will add that's a cracking old trailer marshman and any idea on make?,winchester or eccles  maybe?...

Edited by fireman
  • Like 8
3 hours ago, marshman said:

That  dog could keep the family fed when things where tough I was told  . the dog was a proper thief with no respect for boundaries lol . One time so the story goes they stopped over night and the dog goes off on its own for a mooch . Next morning plod looking around the trailers  usual questions and said you ain’t got any lurchers have you ? No why’s that ? Oh there’s been a lurcher going about the village . When plod goes the dog comes out of the hedge with a duck in its mouth . They reckon it would hide if it see a policeman ? apparently the dog would take anything even a duck of the village pond lol 

I come from Irish tinker and Southern English traveller/show people. Both grandads born in wagons.I guess I m doomed with that background! My dad had his own moral code. He would chore anything that wasnt tied down, but he genuinly never stole from the poor. One xmas we were strapped and my old fella stole the pet goose from a village pond. I can remember after Xmas the teacher dissing whoever had stolen the goose.I was only about 5 or 6 and I remember thinking it couldnt have been that bad a thing to do because it tasted nice and gave us all a good day. I knew enough to keep quiet though and shake my head in the right places. I dont believe in bad Irish or good gypsies. People just react according to the circumstances they find themselves in. One thing Ive learned is thst very rich people can be living devils when they have no need to be.if you ever need help go to the poor not the rich.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 6