Old photo 1960

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Same as mate,picking fruit was a holiday to us kids anyway and we get see our mates we not see for a yr since last picking season.

Thing of the past these days sadly ain't it I always remember all my lot talking about it and what they got up to and meet

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great uncle wearing suit and tie with me aunt and what looks like a collie greyhound 

My dad and square vardo hereford 1955 ,No better life .

That  dog could keep the family fed when things where tough I was told  . the dog was a proper thief with no respect for boundaries lol . One time so the story goes they stopped over night and the dog

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Criss86 said:

Thing of the past these days sadly ain't it I always remember all my lot talking about it and what they got up to and meet

Yes sadly the ways of the true English gypsys is nearly gone.

they still travelers about but the family groups living day to day in horse drawn vardos and moving with the crops is  gone .

what area you from criss .

Edited by Moocher71
  • Like 1
On 02/03/2019 at 21:16, Moocher71 said:

Yes sadly the ways of the true English gypsys is nearly gone.

they still travelers about but the family groups living day to day in horse drawn vardos and moving with the crops is  gone .

what area you from criss .

Yeah I totally agree mate. Me old girls lot end up in Canning town but not sure where they came from originally different people in the family say different things lol. Me old man's lot came over from Ireland and spread all over the south east and further. I've now made it to Devon for a bit. What about your self

2 hours ago, Criss86 said:

Yeah I totally agree mate. Me old girls lot end up in Canning town but not sure where they came from originally different people in the family say different things lol. Me old man's lot came over from Ireland and spread all over the south east and further. I've now made it to Devon for a bit. What about your self

Dads side from hereford "smith"big family.mums side from Lincs I spent most my childhood in the fens .mums side are booth but got gaskin,lee,price,Stanley ,squires in the family through Marige .

• 3 weeks later...

love these old pics I watched a program about romany people last night my wife recorded it sometime for me very interesting it was, when I was a kid my dad always used to call my mam gippo lil when he was having a bit of fun, but I never knew why, but  found out after she was gone my grany was romany, dad also said I took after that side of the family, don't know what he was trying to say lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, two crows said:

love these old pics I watched a program about romany people last night my wife recorded it sometime for me very interesting it was, when I was a kid my dad always used to call my mam gippo lil when he was having a bit of fun, but I never knew why, but  found out after she was gone my grany was romany, dad also said I took after that side of the family, don't know what he was trying to say lol.

If you google Romanys hop picking in hereford you should find old film of my dads family .

id love to go back to them times ,hard life but hard people .

1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

If you google Romanys hop picking in hereford you should find old film of my dads family .

id love to go back to them times ,hard life but hard people .

there was hop picking on the film and Appleby fair etc and clips of familys on the road and every day stuff.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, two crows said:

there was hop picking on the film and Appleby fair etc and clips of familys on the road and every day stuff.

I think I see that .

way of life gone now,I'm going up to A fair in few weeks,

im looking to restore a wagon and live in it .

atb

mooch

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I think I see that .

atb

mooch

if its the one we watched it was, a very British history on bbc4, if it helps anyone

2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I think I see that .

atb

mooch

my old mate used to go, he did all the old painting on bow tops canal boats etc, he done me a lovely job on a mule cage of goldies, dead now bless him.