Thought i'd have a change from hazel, so I've got some holly sticks. I was thinking of taking the bark off some of them, do I strip the bark off now or after they've been dried?

Also i'm just about to start making some sticks that have been drying, is it worth putting ferrules on the bottom or are they just for decoration?

Thanks, Rob.

Rob. I have made quite a few sticks and actually a number of holly. If I'm being honest I cut the holly, put it in the workshop and completely forgot about it for a number of years.  The bark comes off fairly easily leaving an unforgettable white stem which is as hard as nails. I think if being honest, time is the main thing. As you doubt are aware, green timber is a Nono. Just as an aside. Ash which grows on the sides of road banks is an amazing way of getting a natural handle. If you look at how the root goes in to the bank at virtually 90 degrees you'll see that it creates a natural handle. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Oil mate. Doing quite a bit of wood turning you find some very good oils available. I started the same way as yourself spotting a decent stick in the hedgerow and putting it away for later.  Blackthorn is one of the most rewarding with holly and ash a close second ( in my opinion). Strangely, wild rose is good as well.  I get off on doing the top end of the sticks. Nobody really notices the shank. As regards the ferrules, a must. A good stick needs that finishing touch. Jok.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I've got some Danish oil and linseed oil knocking about, i'll test them on some offcuts. I'll have to have a bit of patience with the holly as I only cut some this winter. This stickmaking is a bit addictive always carry a saw on me now and i'm always looking for a likely stick!

cheers, rob