Identification

Out with the .223 earlier with a red lamp on top.  Spotted a set of eyes 100m away.  Now I was 99% sure that this was a fox, but as there is a cottsge in the opposite corner of the the field, that I know the owners have a smallish collie.  I couldn't 100% be sure that it was a fox and not their dog.  Quick flash with my white lamp confirmed it was a fox.  Rifle on sticks and down it went.  Turns out it was 110m, so my estimation is getting better.

Now my main question is, how do you who only use a red lamp get 100% identification?

I was using a t38 torch, would something like a t50 or t67 be better?

Thanks in advance Luke

Those lamp numbers don't mean anything to me at all. The lamps that I use are just lamps. Some are reasonably small 6" dia up to big ones 12"dia that light up a field like daylight.  I use white and all sorts of colours along with infra red.  When I'm  walking I use a small one. When you've been at it a while you know whats on your ground like sheep, cows, calves, ponies or horses and deer dogs and cats. Badgers and fox move in certain ways and speeds. The colour and intensity of their eyes. Sometimes the males of a species have blue or gold eye and vice versa. I found that if you could see both eyes of a fox separately I was about eighty paces away.  The main thing is to know your ground and the safe shots. If something doesn't seem right DON'T SHOOT. I remember seeing a pair of eyes going up and down on a hedge.  The shepherd that I was with urged me to fire but I declined. Good job I did because unknown to him someone had put some calves in the field. A shot that took out a calf could leave you in deep poo. Beware of roads and footpaths river banks because people do mooch around at nightime without lights showing that they are there. I've had fishermen sitting on the riverbank with stuff on their kit that reflects the lamp. Reflectors on farm machinery. Just identify what the target is. If it gets away there's another day. No shot is that important to wreck lives over. Shooting someones pet dog dont go down to well and you could get sued for property damage.

Ps. make sure that you have insurance ! Very important.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know what you are all saying.  I have always used a white lamp and I know the difference between fox and badger when moving, but this one was just sat there looking at me.  Under white lamp, knew straight away.  Think I might stick to white lamp in future

Nice shooting fella

l use a nightmaster 800 in red for foxes and I don’t have a problem once looking through the scope, I can always tell the difference between fox and dog due to eye shine just using the lamp, cats are a lot harder to tell apart ?

In some ways I don't follow the question.

If you can't be 100% sure then don't pull the trigger.

Doesn't matter what colour you use or how bright the lamp!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1