Foggy foxing

Well I was invited out tonight for a bit of foxy action, I was told that it would be a good old walk to get to where we were going on the top of the North Yorkshire moors, so off I went, when we arrived there was a small amount of mist, we set off walking through the forestry fire breaks and arrived at our location a little under an hour later, as we got there the mist had turned to patchy fog making the nv spotter almost useless, so we had a lamp round through the breaks in the fog and spotted one in a deep gutter as I was the guest I got first go, so up with the rifle and down it went, my mate who knows the land had a guess at 260 yards, ( there was no way I was going down into the gutter to get it ) up onto the next field and another along the hedge back although I could see it with the lamp I couldn’t see it through the scope so no shot, heading back we bumped one on a track but that was off like a rocket, so not a completely wasted trip but I’m in no doubt the fog hampered us tonight, if nothing else the 8 mile walk will of done me some good and we had a go at the bunnies with the .22 back around the farm, knocking a couple over to finish the night off 

• Like 3

My legs are feeling it this morning, even though there was not a lot of action it was a nice few hours out, there is something I like about being in the middle of nowhere with all the sounds of the night, no light pollution and no traffic ?

• Like 1

Several times in the past it hasn't foggy at home at all and I've gone out  on patrol.  I drive into the yard with no lights on as it doesn't disturb local stuff. Although only about a mile from home it is completely different.  I have gotten out of the vehicle and put the  back pack battery on and got the rifle loaded up,  looked out across the first field without a light and I've been able to see the outline of oak trees.  When I've turned the lamp on I have been confronted by a solid white wall of mist. Total waste of time. This is the higher ground and the lower marsh fields have much more thicker fog to contend with. Unload put the stuff away and go home.  The same with rain, the light is reflected back off of the water droplets and you can't see the target. the problem is exactly the same with the infra red. The Mrs wondered why I had come home half an hour after I had gone out. 

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:07, Stavross said:

My legs are feeling it this morning, even though there was not a lot of action it was a nice few hours out, there is something I like about being in the middle of nowhere with all the sounds of the night, no light pollution and no traffic ?

I've been doing this a long time but I still get spooked sometimes, odd noises or rustling I can't identify or see! ?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Deker said:

I've been doing this a long time but I still get spooked sometimes, odd noises or rustling I can't identify or see! ?

I was out on my own a few weeks ago about 2 a.m and I was pretty sure something was following me through the woods. It was like the Evil Dead. Then I realised I was armed and the thing stalking me probably wasn't. Phew. :laugh:

P.S. Stavross - Walking uphill for an hour? Are you nuts? Glad you got something for your efforts though. 

1 hour ago, walshie said:

I was out on my own a few weeks ago about 2 a.m and I was pretty sure something was following me through the woods. It was like the Evil Dead. Then I realised I was armed and the thing stalking me probably wasn't. Phew. :laugh:

P.S. Stavross - Walking uphill for an hour? Are you nuts? Glad you got something for your efforts though. 

If I’m out on my own I always get the lecture from the missus to watch what I’m doing and anything could happen to me on my own, I tell her there’s nothing to worry about as I’m the most dangerous thing in them woods 

if you see what sort of condition I’m in you wouldn’t think it possible for me to walk up hill for an hour ?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Stavross said:

If I’m out on my own I always get the lecture from the missus to watch what I’m doing and anything could happen to me on my own, I tell her there’s nothing to worry about as I’m the most dangerous thing in them woods 

if you see what sort of condition I’m in you wouldn’t think it possible for me to walk up hill for an hour ?

Women often say the opposite to what they really mean you know!

?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Women often say the opposite to what they really mean you know!

?

You could be right there, I often catch her looking at me like she wants me to die and then when I turn to look at her she smiles, devious little bugger 

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Stavross said:

You could be right there, I often catch her looking at me like she wants me to die and then when I turn to look at her she smiles, devious little bugger 

Yep, that's the one. You gotta be quick to catch it mind.

The bouncing foot when they are sitting is another clue!