Countries, where the hunting with fast running dogs, its mixes and lurchers is not banned

Hi guys!

I'm quite new here, live in Russia in rural area where can hunt, having 3 working dogs - 2 borzois, 1 khortiy (lurcher-like Russian breed not acknowledged internationally as breed), and now 9 puppies of working lines too.

I wonder what are the countries besides of US, Ireland and UK where lurchers and fast running dogs are popular?

I assume it should be the same ones where the hunting with fast running dogs is not prohibited, right?

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you! We hunt mainly hares and foxes) if very lucky - can run after deers (not too many in the woods here nowadays, alas)   Khortiy is mixture of local dogs + brought in Asian hounds like Sa

Spotlight on fox with dogs western Australia.

nice slow mo clip in the middle of this film..    

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Olesia Che said:

Hi guys!

I'm quite new here, live in Russia in rural area where can hunt, having 3 working dogs - 2 borzois, 1 khortiy (lurcher-like Russian breed not acknowledged internationally as breed), and now 9 puppies of working lines too.

I wonder what are the countries besides of US, Ireland and UK where lurchers and fast running dogs are popular?

I assume it should be the same ones where the hunting with fast running dogs is not prohibited, right?

Hi there Czechoslovakia and also the Lebanon have known some real uns and Papua new Guinea are not short of a few good hounds umsens 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thank you! We hunt mainly hares and foxes) if very lucky - can run after deers (not too many in the woods here nowadays, alas) :) 

Khortiy is mixture of local dogs + brought in Asian hounds like Saukii, Tazy etc. They are slightly less quick on short distance than borzoi but has higher stamina and can run for many kilometers in good speed and have strong hunting instincts. Here is the photo - khortiy (left dog). 

khortiy and borzoi.png

• Like 16
8 minutes ago, Olesia Che said:

Thank you! We hunt mainly hares and foxes) if very lucky - can run after deers (not too many in the woods here nowadays, alas) :) 

Khortiy is mixture of local dogs + brought in Asian hounds like Saukii, Tazy etc. They are slightly less quick on short distance than borzoi but has higher stamina and can run for many kilometers in good speed and have strong hunting instincts. Here is the photo - khortiy (left dog). 

khortiy and borzoi.png

the front dog looks heavily Saluki based and the rear dog Borzoi,even though they look like littermates?,handsome fecking things.

Just now, morton said:

the front dog looks heavily Saluki based and the rear dog Borzoi,even though they look like littermates?,handsome fecking things.

you are absolutely right, khortiy have lot of Saluki and others Middle East dogs bloods in the breed) dogs on pic are not littermates, but color is very similar, it is true) while black borzois are not very common, while for khortiy it is kind of every second dog is like that)

Just now, keepdiggin said:

A lot of dangers for the dogs I'd imagine tigers, wolves, bears, lynx and wolverine 

Well, bears also) thanks God - no tigers, at least in our areas, while definitely "yes" about wolves. Lot of them here last and these year. Local authorities even allowed to hunt for them without buying special license after the pack was hunting the elk in 500 m from the village in the daylight.. 

1 minute ago, king said:

you or the dogs had many encounters with wolves or bears olesia

luckily - no! we had seen wolves from pretty far away 2 times, like 500 meters, and it was not a pack, just 1 wolf. And no bears.

If you live there you pretty quickly come to know where are the areas with too strong and dangerous beasts. And if with 1 wolf 3-4 well trained dogs may have a good chance even to hunt it down, with bear only chance is to avoid meeting it by all the means.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Olesia Che said:

khortiy and borzoi.png

18 hours ago, Olesia Che said:

you are absolutely right, khortiy have lot of Saluki and others Middle East dogs bloods in the breed) dogs on pic are not littermates, but color is very similar, it is true) while black borzois are not very common, while for khortiy it is kind of every second dog is like that)

Those are the dogs I've been watching on you tube the last few weeks. Pretty impressive ?

• Like 1