Split

41 minutes ago, 2504 said:

My bitch has split its nail straight down the middle to the wick on the rear foot what can I do or is it a trip to the vets?

yeh could be as it be very painful ,it might need the nail off or cut right back both sides to the quick , either way it will hurt her she could bite you when you do any messing with it prob have to be muzzled . if you no any greyhound people ask them they will know good running dog vets.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, bird said:

yeh could be as it be very painful ,it might need the nail off or cut right back both sides to the quick , either way it will hurt her she could bite you when you do any messing with it prob have to be muzzled . if you no any greyhound people ask them they will know good running dog vets.

good advice  mate, if in doubt vets, I had one take a nail right off it never grew back, I wonder if its not to bad if it would superglue to stop it bleeding and getting worse.

Had similar a while back as bird said muzzle if you going to treat it, mine was ripped off so I just kept it clean its fine now. If its split it could possibly harbour muck and cause infection I would probably pay the vet a visit mate. 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Boristheblade said:

Muzzle the dog cut the nail back behind the split then dab with potassium permanganate will stop the bleeding instantly.

Sound advice fella same as the vets would do but charge a bomb to do so 

38 minutes ago, bunnyboiler said:

Black neck would you say a Baked bean inserted into each ear lobe would be suffice ?

Anything inserted into one's ear LOBE would be a completely futile action  however inserted into the ear canal it might help but there are better options out there 

Hope this helps

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Str said:

This what you want,it’s also good for bleeding ears and shaving cuts lol it’s under a tenner on eBay,every dog first aid kit should have some.

F511A574-1EC3-41D5-B7F1-63BB36B3D069.jpeg

Potassium permanganate is only £2.99 on flee bay delivered when I bought some either option is cheaper than the rip off vets when it’s probably the same tack they use

• Like 1
20 hours ago, two crows said:

bet they squeal when you do that bad enough when you just nip one cutting their nails.

Just use sharp decent cutters n do it quickly little Yelp that’s all. Problem solved.done it few times to mine when had broken toes or dislocated toes just cut the nail right back to the toe.

• Like 2