On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:07, Johncheetham4121 said:

Hi lads what scope and magnification would you recommend for hft and hunting thanks for any replies John 

They can be very different things, one scope may well not be the answer!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Johncheetham4121 said:

Would a mtc mamba 4-16 be a good choice? Just didn’t want to get a 12 mag or 16 mag and find out it wasn’t enough. I have shot ft in the past but that was back when you just had a tasco 4 x 40 

Most folk I think, shoot between 8 and 10 mag for hft. I know I shot on 10 mag when I used to go. Every person is different, what's good for one person is no good for another. Any less than 8 mag and you may struggle to see the kill zones on the far away targets and anymore than 10 mag then the same with the close ups. 

With regards to hunting, I shoot on 10 mag in the daylight and 6 mag with the night vision. You just need to get out there and see what suits you best ?

Welcome aboard John

As you are going into a new avenue of our sport, it would be worth your while whizzing up the M1 / A1 on May 11th or 12th to the Northern Shooting Show at Harrogate show ground as there is an HFT event there every year where sound advice and a chance to try it out. It will give you the chance to look at what kit is being used by other competitors as there is an actual competition taking place at some stage over the weekend.

It is a good show and a few of us will be going and meeting up for a bit of banter and look at what we cannot afford. There will be scopes from Hawke, MTC, Discovery and others. The Discovery scopes are finding quite a bit of favour and a few of our members have now bought them. I will certainly be taking a close look at them as well.

Perhaps we will see you there.

https://www.northernshootingshow.co.uk/

https://discoveryoptics.co.uk/

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get  a scope with a parallax, especially a side parallax with the wheel, and you can use it to judge distance.https://www.anstonftc.co.uk/hft-range-finding-with-scope-parallax/

http://fieldtarget.nl/files/handleiding-rangefinding.pdf

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hawke Sidewinder series scopes. Absolutely brilliant scopes. They have everything you need in a single scope for both hunting and HFT competition shooting.

10.5 mil dot illuminated reticle, adjustable side focus, 30mm bodytubes, lockable target turrets. 

Tracks very accurately, stays on zero all day. 

These are not cheap budget-end scopes. But, after you've done what we all do, spend a few hundred quid on any number of cheap scopes that invariably fail, you come round to the realisation that when you've bought a top class rifle, you really do need a quality scope to get the best out of it and you need to spend more to get it. And one that is tough and well built to last you through years of shooting in all weathers.

I have an Air Arms Pro Sport in .22 and it has a Hawke Sidewinder 30mm 3-12x50 SF scope. This is a serious sporting air rifle and it deserves a scope to match its amazing accuracy. 

Give these and the other scopes in the Hawke ranges a good look over when you can. 

All the best.

Simon/Pianoman.

On 24/02/2019 at 19:06, philpot said:

Welcome aboard John

As you are going into a new avenue of our sport, it would be worth your while whizzing up the M1 / A1 on May 11th or 12th to the Northern Shooting Show at Harrogate show ground as there is an HFT event there every year where sound advice and a chance to try it out. It will give you the chance to look at what kit is being used by other competitors as there is an actual competition taking place at some stage over the weekend.

It is a good show and a few of us will be going and meeting up for a bit of banter and look at what we cannot afford. There will be scopes from Hawke, MTC, Discovery and others. The Discovery scopes are finding quite a bit of favour and a few of our members have now bought them. I will certainly be taking a close look at them as well.

Perhaps we will see you there.

https://www.northernshootingshow.co.uk/

https://discoveryoptics.co.uk/

Phil

I like the Discovery scopes so much I have two, one is the simply superb VT-2 side focus, IR, half mil dot reticle, supplied with mounts, sidewheel, sun shade and flip up lens caps in the most vivid shade of blue plastic you can get....

STA70786.JPG.273f67fb0e03dce0f175191827d71b04.JPG

As can be seen from the picture, it works in low light levels (44mm objective - front - lens), holds zero superbly and is loads cheaper than a sidewinder. 

The other one was a clearance (discontinued line). The Hi series, 5-20x44, IR, SF, basically the same scope but with Chairman pleasing single red stars on the turrets. Half mildot again, again mounts supplies with scope, sunshade and sidewheel, and flip up end caps!

chairman mao.jpg

The glass is better than Hawkes to my eyes, they are equally as well, if not better made (indeed I think one of the Sidewinder SF is a rebadged Discovery), carry a 10 year warranty too.

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 1
On 06/03/2019 at 04:47, pianoman said:

Hawke Sidewinder series scopes. Absolutely brilliant scopes. They have everything you need in a single scope for both hunting and HFT competition shooting.

10.5 mil dot illuminated reticle, adjustable side focus, 30mm bodytubes, lockable target turrets. 

Tracks very accurately, stays on zero all day. 

These are not cheap budget-end scopes. But, after you've done what we all do, spend a few hundred quid on any number of cheap scopes that invariably fail, you come round to the realisation that when you've bought a top class rifle, you really do need a quality scope to get the best out of it and you need to spend more to get it. And one that is tough and well built to last you through years of shooting in all weathers.

I have an Air Arms Pro Sport in .22 and it has a Hawke Sidewinder 30mm 3-12x50 SF scope. This is a serious sporting air rifle and it deserves a scope to match its amazing accuracy. 

Give these and the other scopes in the Hawke ranges a good look over when you can. 

All the best.

Simon/Pianoman.

Got the same scope as you then mate one came up second hand near me so had a look and was very impressed with it thanks for the reply mate always fancied a pro sport they look amazing . I did have my name down for one a few years ago but then got talked into a hw100kt . Still fancy getting a springer for something different to shoot though ?? 

• Like 1
On 06/03/2019 at 09:27, secretagentmole said:

I like the Discovery scopes so much I have two, one is the simply superb VT-2 side focus, IR, half mil dot reticle, supplied with mounts, sidewheel, sun shade and flip up lens caps in the most vivid shade of blue plastic you can get....

STA70786.JPG.273f67fb0e03dce0f175191827d71b04.JPG

As can be seen from the picture, it works in low light levels (44mm objective - front - lens), holds zero superbly and is loads cheaper than a sidewinder. 

The other one was a clearance (discontinued line). The Hi series, 5-20x44, IR, SF, basically the same scope but with Chairman pleasing single red stars on the turrets. Half mildot again, again mounts supplies with scope, sunshade and sidewheel, and flip up end caps!

chairman mao.jpg

The glass is better than Hawkes to my eyes, they are equally as well, if not better made (indeed I think one of the Sidewinder SF is a rebadged Discovery), carry a 10 year warranty too.

Do these come with the large side wheel ? And have you added extra ranges on to it ? I will definitely have a good look at these at the shooting show , i have since posting bought a second hand Hawke sidewinder and am very impressed with it after only using standard scopes and will look to upgrade my other scope at some point . Cheers John