The ‘good’ old days

45% male unemployment and a generation laid to waste! I was only a kid in the 70’s and early 80’s but I remember how bleak it was for kids leaving school, and for areas where industry was decimated. Fcuk only knows what the millenials of today would do faced with this ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a youngster in the 70,S and think it was brilliant, I may have rose tinted spectacles on but I feel life takes a massive down hill turn when money becomes our objective, I never had fa so never

Current crop of young ‘uns in work at the moment are snowflakes. They won’t tackle most things, always play the health and safety card and sit quietly in the canteen looking at YouTube. I’ve taken to

Also without wishing to stereotype most of those folk on that film were just the normal typical deadhead dole heads that lived on every estate in Britain, I mean selling your fishing rod for a packet

Posted Images

I lived in a similar street at that time,three guys had jobs,the rest were on the rock and role,sad times,people thrown on the rubbish heap from an early age,I remember going into the dole office and ripping down the postcard job advert that was for a dishwasher who must have experience,piss take.

• Like 2

I was a youngster in the 70,S and think it was brilliant, I may have rose tinted spectacles on but I feel life takes a massive down hill turn when money becomes our objective, I never had fa so never missed fa we made do and neighbours helped each other out instead of grassing each other up as seems to be the norm today,   poverty is the mother of invention and would many of us not be the men we hope we are today if we had not had to struggle and fight for everything we now have  ??? to the 70s from me 

• Like 9

70/80s Brilliant time  to earn a wage, made a packet as any one who was prepared to work hard , early starts late finish  seven days a week , when it got tough in 78 thousands of us Bricklayers went to Germany  worked  70 hours a week and came back loaded , people born in the 40/50s  loved to have a good wage after all those years with FA

8 hours ago, micky said:

70/80s Brilliant time  to earn a wage, made a packet as any one who was prepared to work hard , early starts late finish  seven days a week , when it got tough in 78 thousands of us Bricklayers went to Germany  worked  70 hours a week and came back loaded , people born in the 40/50s  loved to have a good wage after all those years with FA

Thousands went to germany for work, when thousands come here we winge like feck lol...........psst I also went to Germany and yeah I winge like feck lol

i lived across the water at that time and it was bleak.

my parents moved us out of there to little sutton which wasnt much better.

then we moved to wrexham as this was a boom town.

i remember as a kid in wxm watching the folk from the local large council estate, were the majority were unemployed (queens park)

would come to the local council dump and forage for stuff they could use/sell

hard times.

even i couldnt find work in the 80s for a few years,nowt but depressing.

i wonder how many streets there is today were is its a its depicts in the film??

Also without wishing to stereotype most of those folk on that film were just the normal typical deadhead dole heads that lived on every estate in Britain, I mean selling your fishing rod for a packet of fags prick, and if the neighbours had the leccy cut off you run a lead across from your neighbours and paid a few quid each week them people are still sat in there council houses today moaning about how unfair life is, but cream always rises to the top and shit always sinks ??

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I started work in the seventies and I’ve never been out of it, always worked. Left school on the Friday, started work on the Monday. I said to my old fella, “ I’ll look for a job in  a few weeks”. He said “ like f**k you will, get out and find one before you leave school”. There were jobs everywhere when I was a kid. I must have had 4-5 in my first few months out of school, like most of my friends. It took me a while to settle down in something I liked. Maybe it was localised job shortages in some areas? 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Sold a fishing rod to buy fags, thick twat

I've  only watched the first clip and a bloke sells his fishing rods for a packet of fags !!!   A woman with ten kids can't afford the electric !! And the other bloke who is supposed to be 42 looks more like 82. What a state. There are some who have suffered by conditions beyond their control but some have no comprehension of getting up for work as their fathers and their father's afore them.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, delswal said:

Thousands went to germany for work, when thousands come here we winge like feck lol...........psst I also went to Germany and yeah I winge like feck lol

But we all went home afterwards and were not given priority housing status and allowed to clog up the health system without having contributed a penny ?

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 3

Current crop of young ‘uns in work at the moment are snowflakes. They won’t tackle most things, always play the health and safety card and sit quietly in the canteen looking at YouTube. I’ve taken to have my dinner out on the moor and not go into the office unless I have to. The dart board has gone, the card school has gone, the push penny table has gone, curry night on Mondays has gone, having a kick about in the yard has gone, they just sit staring at their phones and polishing their cars ? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1